Author Topic: Oklahoma City's Team To Be Named "Thunder"  (Read 557 times)

187Proof

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Oklahoma City's Team To Be Named "Thunder"
« on: July 20, 2008, 05:43:13 PM »
OKLAHOMA CITY (TICKER) —Oklahoma City’s new NBA franchise has nicknamed itself the Thunder, according to a report Saturday on the web site of the city’s ABC affiliate.

Citing a source close to team ownership, KOCO-TV reported that the “registrar for all of the NBA’s Internet domain names were reserved okcthunderbasketball.com and okcthunderbasketball.net on July 10,” suggesting that the franchise formerly known as the Seattle SuperSonics will soon be renamed.

The franchise left the Pacific Northwest after an ugly court case ended with an agreement between the team and the city of Seattle, which released the club from its lease at KeyArena - the crux of the disagreement.

In the court case, the city of Seattle had been seeking to hold the owners of the Sonics to the remaining two years of the team’s KeyArena lease and Sonics’ season-ticket holders also filed a class-action lawsuit that contended they were tricked into buying tickets under the belief that the team would be staying in the Pacific Northwest.

Sonics majority owner Clay Bennett and his ownership group alleged the team was losing money at KeyArena, thereby necessitating a likely move to Oklahoma City.

However, the Sonics and the city of Seattle came to an agreement on July 2, just hours before a district court judge was to issue a verdict on the six-day trial.

As per the agreement, the Oklahoma City franchise agreed to leave the Sonics’ name, logo and colors behind for a potential future NBA franchise in Seattle.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=txoklahomacitynickname&prov=st&type=lgns

Don Jacob

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • don status, bitch
Re: Oklahoma City's Team To Be Named "Thunder"
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2008, 06:03:58 PM »
gaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay

R.I.P.  To my Queen and Princess 07-05-09

PLANT

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2008, 06:46:35 PM »
at least they are re-naming it.  New Orleans should do the same, people still calling them Charlotte Hornets all the time.  It gives them their own identity more.

westsiderider323

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2008, 07:06:20 PM »
gaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay

Now_Im_Not_Banned

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2008, 09:37:06 AM »
at least they are re-naming it.  New Orleans should do the same, people still calling them Charlotte Hornets all the time.  It gives them their own identity more.

It's the same franchise, though...it's more common that a team keeps its name when it moves cities then not. In this case, the team owners left the Supersonic team name and colors to the city of Seattle. I think Thunder is one of the worst choices they coulda gone with, but that's just me.

the.SET

• 'G'
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2008, 11:04:47 AM »
That sounds like a freakin arena football team :\
avidSOUND.com: Where Aspiring Musicians Can Be HEARD!

GangstaBoogy

« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2008, 11:13:20 AM »

I really don't understand that. The Hornets leave Charlotte then they get another team. They should've remained the Charlotte Hornets and let New Orleans become the Bobcats.

As for OKC Thunder...hella gay!
"House shoes & coffee: I know the paper gone come"

Now_Im_Not_Banned

« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2008, 12:26:29 PM »

I really don't understand that. The Hornets leave Charlotte then they get another team. They should've remained the Charlotte Hornets and let New Orleans become the Bobcats.

As for OKC Thunder...hella gay!

But it's a completely different franchise...

Now_Im_Not_Banned

« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2008, 12:27:02 PM »
That sounds like a freakin arena football team :\

The first thing I thought was WNBA.

'EclipZe

« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2008, 12:55:17 PM »
^true lol

jeromechickenbone

« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2008, 05:18:14 PM »

7even

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2008, 05:30:14 PM »
No plural S at the end to personify it?   :o
Cause I don't care where I belong no more
What we share or not I will ignore
And I won't waste my time fitting in
Cause I don't think contrast is a sin
No, it's not a sin

Now_Im_Not_Banned

« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2008, 08:05:54 PM »
^Like the Jazz.

But I hear these reports are bullshit.

Chamillitary Click

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The greatest entertainer ever.
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2008, 09:03:19 PM »
The first thing I thought was WNBA.

HELL YEAH! bad name. :-\

OG Hack Wilson

« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2008, 02:58:17 PM »
lame
Quote from: Now_I_Know on September 10, 2001, 04:19:36 PM
This guy aint no crip, and I'm 100% sure on that because he doesn't type like a crip, I know crips, and that fool is not a crip.

"I went from being homeless strung out on Dust to an 8 bedroom estate signed 2 1 of my fav rappers... Pump it up jokes can't hurt me."-- Mr. Joey Buddens