Author Topic: Songs, especially collabos, that were overhyped or disappointments  (Read 730 times)

R-Tistic

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • DJ R-Tistic....L.A.'s Favorite
What are some songs that you feel were overhyped, usually due to the collabo or the content, that were not nearly as good as they should have been, or as people may have wanted them to be?

I'd say..........

NWA - Chin Check - This song was decent, and got hella play...but hearing it now, it's obvious that we were caught up in the hype more so than the song being classic material. Hearing it next to tracks from that era like "Still Dre" "G'd up" and "We can freak it", it doesn't sound nearly as good.

Dr. Dre and Quik - Put it on me....everybody from the West was hyped about our two favorite producers finally making a track together, and it got major radio play. However, it was a good solid song at best...it was not classic in any way, and both artists have had and produced album cuts that were much better than this track.

Dr. Dre and Snoop - Just dippin - This song was hyped because it was the first time we heard Dre and Snoop on a song together since "Nothin but a G thang"...but this song was not nearly as dope as people may have felt it was. By the time 2001 came out, this song was completely forgotten about, and it wasn't even strong enough to become a single. Was it wack or even average? Definitely not...but it wasn't the "classic" that many people wanted...it just had the names we all wanted. Most people, such as me, feel that the Battlecat remix was much better.

Jay-Z - Justify my thug (Prod. by DJ Quik) - I was one of those that was very excited when I heard Jay chose Quik to do a song on his album...but when I heard it, I was like wait....this definitely must be a typo, I know Quik didn't do this one. Many people made the excuse that "We are being biased as West Coast fans, and not lettin Quik grow and expand his style...he can't give Jay a West Coast track, because it won't appeal, and this song bangs hard" and all else..but regardless if Quik made it or not, I think it was a very average beat and song. The worst beats on Quik's albums were still better than this one to me.

Okka

Re: Songs, especially collabos, that were overhyped or disappointments
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2008, 01:25:53 PM »
Dr. Dre and Quik - Put it on me

I always thought this was gonna be somethin really great but nahh, it's a good song though.

Black Excellence

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Niggaz Hatin' On Me But They Bitch Ain't
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2008, 01:26:06 PM »
all of those songs are hot !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
"Summa y'all #mediocres more worried bout my goings on than u is about ya own.... But that ain't none of my business so.....I'll just #SipTeaForKermit #ifitaintaboutdamoney #2sugarspleaseFollow," - T.I.

h2k4

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2008, 02:09:03 PM »
What are some songs that you feel were overhyped, usually due to the collabo or the content, that were not nearly as good as they should have been, or as people may have wanted them to be?

I'd say..........

NWA - Chin Check - This song was decent, and got hella play...but hearing it now, it's obvious that we were caught up in the hype more so than the song being classic material. Hearing it next to tracks from that era like "Still Dre" "G'd up" and "We can freak it", it doesn't sound nearly as good.

Dr. Dre and Quik - Put it on me....everybody from the West was hyped about our two favorite producers finally making a track together, and it got major radio play. However, it was a good solid song at best...it was not classic in any way, and both artists have had and produced album cuts that were much better than this track.

Dr. Dre and Snoop - Just dippin - This song was hyped because it was the first time we heard Dre and Snoop on a song together since "Nothin but a G thang"...but this song was not nearly as dope as people may have felt it was. By the time 2001 came out, this song was completely forgotten about, and it wasn't even strong enough to become a single. Was it wack or even average? Definitely not...but it wasn't the "classic" that many people wanted...it just had the names we all wanted. Most people, such as me, feel that the Battlecat remix was much better.

Jay-Z - Justify my thug (Prod. by DJ Quik) - I was one of those that was very excited when I heard Jay chose Quik to do a song on his album...but when I heard it, I was like wait....this definitely must be a typo, I know Quik didn't do this one. Many people made the excuse that "We are being biased as West Coast fans, and not lettin Quik grow and expand his style...he can't give Jay a West Coast track, because it won't appeal, and this song bangs hard" and all else..but regardless if Quik made it or not, I think it was a very average beat and song. The worst beats on Quik's albums were still better than this one to me.

I thought Snoop was out of place with the NWA thing but it's a good song
Just Dippin was wack
Put It On Me was dope
Justify My Thug was dope

Philip1123

• Muthafuckin' Double OG
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2008, 02:25:07 PM »
I agree about Chin Check. Very mediocre song...

Put It On Me was great...

Just Dippin' was an all right track, definetely not wack, but not great either.

Justify My Thug - I guess Quik made a beat that fit the rest of the sound of Jay Z's album, and the song wasn't so bad...

smegma

« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2008, 02:59:06 PM »
I don't agree with all of the songs mentioned above...
Jay-Z is an artist that managed to pick a wack beat from DJ Quik. That by itself is an accomplishment.
The Quik/Dre song is dope, but not as dope as you'd think it would be. It sounds better on paper, hehe.
"Chin Check" is dope as hell. I don't know what you guys are talking about.

Another more or less disappointing DJ Quik song is his song with TQ: "My Melody". These are two of my favorite artists and the only song we have from them is subpar compared to their other stuff. TQ's collabo with R. Kelly ("KeepItOnTheLow") is straight up wack. That Ludacris/Kanye song on "The College Dropout" was a disappointment.

The entire Fixxers project is/was a major letdown... And how about some of the Dre beats on Busta Rhymes' last album? And Dre's beats on Em's last album? It hurts my ears just thinking about it.

Black Gloves

« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2008, 03:20:56 PM »

Just Dippin - Dope as fuck but probably not what people expected, but thats on you.

Put It On Me - Dope. Dont know what you're talkin about.

Chin Check - Classic, you on some weird shit. This song is classic.

Now Justify My Thug wasnt that dope.

BiggSadot

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2008, 03:46:23 PM »
Black Republican was overhyped. It was alright but it wasnt a classic track. I think Success was the better collab between them even tho its more Jay than Nas.
Sometimes I need reminders why I bother to rap
Then I think back to cats who only father is rap
I dead beats, but you niggas is Lou
Im Uncle Phil gotta give em somethin real
cause If I dont who will

Eddz

« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2008, 04:00:33 PM »
I think Snoop & The Game - Gangbang 101 & Snoop & Ice Cube - LAX from the Blue Carpet treatment were very disappointing :(

s.a.k.10

• 'G'
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2008, 04:06:05 PM »
I think Snoop & The Game - Gangbang 101 & Snoop & Ice Cube - LAX from the Blue Carpet treatment were very disappointing :(

thats real....

that new game, cube n wc track fits the bill too

Black Gloves

« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2008, 04:11:40 PM »
its because its hard to work with snoop ^^

hes weird.

dude does all the gay ass ad-libs (ie whaaa, whaaaa, whaaa, whaaaaaat) on his songs wit his soft voice.

cube and game got that raw flow, dark voice type shit.

snoop for the old people and for the ladies.

game and cube for the hoodrats, the bitches.

h2k4

« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2008, 04:29:04 PM »
Ok...I guess I'm the only one who thought "Justify My Thug" was dope, lol.  I guess it could be that I like other genres as well.  I thought he sampled Madonna's "Justify My Love" rather nicely.

Okka

« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2008, 04:35:13 PM »
Just Dippin - Dope as fuck but probably not what people expected, but thats on you.
Chin Check - Classic, you on some weird shit. This song is classic.

I agree with these, but it's all opinions though.

That new track with Cube/WC/Game wasn't really what i was expectin from those three.

Furor Teutonicus

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • aka Dr. Jan Itor
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2008, 04:45:17 PM »
some recent disappointments;
Get Used to it -  Cube, WC and Game :-[
Tha Dogg Pound feat. Ice Cube- It's all Good :-X A fucking disgrace. The fact that Battlecat produced this make this joint even more disappointing. Not even a Cube verse! That whole DPG Reunion/ Cali iz Active was a major disappointment
Snoop feat. Cube- LAX

Chin Check and Put it On Me are cool if you ask me, could've been bigger, but I wouldn't call them a disappoitment.
agree with "Just Dippin"

I might be the only one, but I think "Ho's a Housewife" is overrated. The beat and hook is nice, but Dre and Hittman are pretty lame on this
« Last Edit: August 04, 2008, 05:02:25 PM by Inspector Dr. Ján Ďtor alias Columbo »

GangstaBoogy

« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2008, 05:46:52 PM »

Exactly what I thought when I saw the thread title.
"House shoes & coffee: I know the paper gone come"