Author Topic: [ESPN] Osi done for year  (Read 317 times)

Citizen-Y

[ESPN] Osi done for year
« on: August 24, 2008, 12:52:00 PM »
Reports: Giants' Umenyiora likely out for season with ligament damage

ESPN.com news services

Updated: August 24, 2008, 3:41 PM ET

The defending Super Bowl champion Giants reportedly will likely have to play this season without one of their best pash rushers.

The Star-Ledger and the NFL Network reported Sunday that Osi Umenyiora suffered serious ligament damage in his left knee Saturday night that will likely sideline him for the rest of the season. The Pro Bowl star defensive end will have surgery, the newspaper reported, rather than try to rehabilitate the injury.

X-rays taken during the Jets' 10-7 win were negative. An MRI took place on Sunday.

"I talked to him when he was in the locker room, in the training room," fellow defensive end Justin Tuck said Saturday of a halftime exchange. "Obviously, he was down. It's unfortunate when any injury occurs, but hopefully, it is nothing serious and he will not miss any time."

Umenyiora left the locker room before the game ended and was not available for comment.

Umenyiora told Tuck that "he was good," Tuck said.

The two-time Pro Bowler was hurt with 10:48 left in the half on a third-down incomplete pass by the Jets' Brett Favre.

Defensive tackle Barry Cofield did not get a chance to talk to Umenyiora but he recalled the play.

"It looked like he was turning the corner and just kind of took an awkward step," Cofield said Saturday. "The turf is hard and playing at that speed on that edge, you can tweak things."

The 26-year-old could not put any weight on his leg. He was helped off the field with his arms wrapped around the shoulders of two trainers.

Giants coach Tom Coughlin said Saturday that Umenyiora was in pain.

"The doctors told me there was no ligament damage," Coughlin said when pressed.

Umenyiora started all 16 games last season and had 52 tackles and a team-high 13 sacks. He added seven tackles in the Giants' run to the Super Bowl.

The Giants are a bit thin at defensive end this season with the retirement of seven-time Pro Bowler Michael Strahan. Tuck has replaced Strahan. New York also signed veteran Renaldo Wynn in the offseason.

With Umenyiora sidelined, the Giants could move strongside linebacker Mathias Kiwanuka back to defensive end. He was switched to linebacker last year so the team could put its best 11 players on the field.

"You are always concerned any time a player like that goes down," Kiwanuka said Saturday. "That's not good. We know the type of player he is and if he can come back he will. But we have the personal to step up in his absence."

Kiwanuka sidestepped moving back to defensive end, saying that decision is up to the team.

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

Lunatic

Re: [ESPN] Osi done for year
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2008, 01:11:12 PM »
Ouch. not a chance in hell they make the playoffs.
Co-Director of Site Content For Raptalk.Net
Staff Writer For WordOfSouth.Com
Staff Writer For Illuminati2G.Net
Staff Writer For SoPrupRadio.com

OG Hack Wilson

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2008, 06:10:49 PM »
:(

where's strahan at when ya need him???

Quote from: Now_I_Know on September 10, 2001, 04:19:36 PM
This guy aint no crip, and I'm 100% sure on that because he doesn't type like a crip, I know crips, and that fool is not a crip.

"I went from being homeless strung out on Dust to an 8 bedroom estate signed 2 1 of my fav rappers... Pump it up jokes can't hurt me."-- Mr. Joey Buddens

eS El Duque

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • SuperTight
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2008, 09:29:13 PM »
YEA BABY!!!!!!

WOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now the cowboys need to lose Owens in a horrible airplane accident =/
DUBCC FANTASY BASEBALL CHAMPION 2008

Don Jacob

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • don status, bitch
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2008, 12:55:56 AM »
^ won't happen

chargers
giants
redskins

McNabb will probably get hurt and hopefully that Patriots old ass D will break down enough for Big D to  hold up that Lombardi trophy for a 6th time.

R.I.P.  To my Queen and Princess 07-05-09

Citizen-Y

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2008, 03:18:01 AM »
^ won't happen

chargers
giants
redskins

McNabb will probably get hurt and hopefully that Patriots old ass D will break down enough for Big D to  hold up that Lombardi trophy for a 6th time.

They need to win a playoff game first.

OG Hack Wilson

« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2008, 06:44:36 AM »
the pats would SCHOOL the boys
This guy aint no crip, and I'm 100% sure on that because he doesn't type like a crip, I know crips, and that fool is not a crip.

"I went from being homeless strung out on Dust to an 8 bedroom estate signed 2 1 of my fav rappers... Pump it up jokes can't hurt me."-- Mr. Joey Buddens

Fuck Your Existence

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2008, 04:55:57 PM »
*crosses fingers

osi: how does the disabled list taste?
« Last Edit: August 25, 2008, 04:57:28 PM by ^ReLentLess^ »

OG Hack Wilson

« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2008, 05:33:20 PM »
*crosses fingers

he's got a ring

sure it tastes fine

Citizen-Y

« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2008, 06:25:16 PM »
*crosses fingers

That's what he gets for being a coward.

Mario Williams Responds to Osi Umenyiora: 'He's a Coward'

Stephanie StradleyPosted Aug 16th 2008 9:45AM by Stephanie Stradley (author feed)
Filed under: Giants, Texans, AFC South
Giants defensive end Osi Umenyiora took exception to Pete Prisco's offseason list of top 50 NFL players. Prisco named Mario Williams the top defensive end in the league and number 6 overall. Asked about the list, Umenyiora said that Williams at #6 was "just absolutely ridiculous."

According to a recent article by Prisco, Williams was unamused with Umenyiora's comments. Apparently, Williams saw Umenyiora a couple of days before those comments were made and they didn't speak on this topic at all. Says Williams:

"He's a coward. If he has anything to say to me, he should have said it to my face. You write that."

Usually, Williams doesn't respond to his critics, but yeah, it probably does sting a bit when a guy smiles to your face and then dogs you on a radio show.

The article goes on to justify Williams as a high pick in his list as the defensive end plays a premium position on the field, is young, physically a freak, productive, and still has a tremendous amount of potential. If NFL general managers were picking players off of another team, they would pick Williams as their first defensive player.

By all reports, Williams has had a tremendous camp and believes that he will have an even better season this year. It's hard to disagree, especially to his face. He's a big guy and all.

OG Hack Wilson

« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2008, 06:27:23 PM »
mario williams sounds like a bitch

Citizen-Y

« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2008, 06:46:00 PM »

Nah he can piss standing up unlike Osi

OG Hack Wilson

« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2008, 06:55:35 PM »

Nah he can piss standing up unlike Osi

Osi's ring weighs so much he'd strain his penis trying to use a urinal

its a safety precaution

OchoCinco

« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2008, 07:05:16 PM »
least mario is playing this year...

OG Hack Wilson

« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2008, 08:20:40 PM »
least mario is playing this year...

how old where u during the last Bengals superbowl??

or playoff win? ;)