Author Topic: DUBCNN: New Album Reviews: Dubb Union, and The Game (2nd Opinion)  (Read 316 times)

Conan

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • "Holler at your Uncle Snoopy..."
DUBCNN: New Album Reviews: Dubb Union, and The Game (2nd Opinion)
« on: September 09, 2008, 02:07:06 PM »
http://www.dubcnn.com
http://www.dubcnn.com/features/reviews/
http://www.dubcnn.com/features/reviews/dubbunion/
http://www.dubcnn.com/features/reviews/lax-secondopinion/

Today Dubcnn has two new reviews for you all to check out. Last Tuesday saw the debut release from Soopafly, Damani, and Bad Lucc, aka Dubb Union, hit shelves. The album has received great feedback from fans and I was similarly impressed. The set is a fine combination of vintage and modern-day West Coast Hip-Hop.

"Dubb Union" receives the Dub Quotable: "Updating distinctive West Coast funk for 2008, their sound has the potential to unify listeners clutching relentlessly to memories of yesteryear, and others in tune with Hip-Hop’s present output," and earns an honorable Dub Rating. Check out the full review by clicking below:

Dubb Union - Snoop Dogg presents Dubb Union (Review)

Our other review is a second opinion on L.A.X., the heavily discussed third album from The Game. Many of you will have read Jonathan's previous writeup on the disk. However, I welcomed the opportunity to offer my own critique of the biggest West Coast release of 2008.

L.A.X. receives the Dub Quotable: "This record is [Game's] valiant attempt to reinstate the golden era of Hip-Hop that he loves unconditionally." The full version of this redux review is linked below:

The Game - L.A.X. (Second Opinion Review)

Enjoy these two entries to our reviews archive, and, if you haven't already done so, be sure to pick up the latest releases from Dubb Union and The Game. Keep supporting quality West Coast Hip-Hop!

---

There ya go, Soopafly DPGC! ;D
"Shit ain't all peaches and cream, and I ain't Sara Lee, bitch!" - Lloyd Banks

"I'm Morpheus in this Hip-Hop Matrix, exposing fake shit." - Common

"With consecutive platinum hits, I up my status. Ain't no more Calvin Broadus!" - Snoop

"Look at all these conscious rappers - guess who influenced them?" - KRS One

bullet_wrongkind

Re: DUBCNN: New Album Reviews: Dubb Union, and The Game (2nd Opinion)
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2008, 02:16:18 PM »
i see soopafly dgpc has achieved his demands

p.s. one of coolest dubb union supporters. keep doin!

Rud

• Kingdingaling
  • Connected
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2008, 02:18:00 PM »
Awesome work Conan!

Westcoast News Network // www.dubcnn.com // Westcoast News Network

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2008, 02:21:16 PM »
The LAX interview was on some 100% real shit. +1

I havent heard the full Dubb Union album so I cant agree or anything wit you. But it sounds cool.

Keep up the interviews man!

T-Money

• Lil Geezy
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2008, 07:32:55 PM »
On the Dubb Union Album:

That is a Westcoast Classic!!! Im sure its gonna get slept on but that ablum is bangin,go out and support true westcoast hip hop at its finest!!!

LAX:

I luv The Game, nigga hottest in the game but LAX was a dissapointment..too mush damm R&B and ashame it had that tittle due to not having one LA nigga on the album...Im true westcoast, born and breaded but if its not good..its not good,need to be real with yall reviews DUBCNN!!!

Soopafly DPGC

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Its my duty to break a bitch down to buck nudie
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2008, 08:18:02 PM »
Thank you for bringing the dubb union album to the attention of the masses.  Props on the review too.  I'll be dropping a review of my own sometime here in the future as well, once i let the album sink in more and I get through the initial buzz of being so hyped up to hear new Soopafly verses.

Somebody

• Lil Geezy
  • Think before you post some stupid bullshit
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2008, 11:12:07 PM »
The Dubb Union album bangs!

Rud

• Kingdingaling
  • Connected
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2008, 12:02:09 AM »
Keep it coming

Westcoast News Network // www.dubcnn.com // Westcoast News Network

Dre-Day

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • No justice, no peace
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2008, 06:43:17 AM »
If L.A.X. reveals one thing about The Game, it's that his relationship with Hip-Hop is one of love and hate. As much as he feels he doesn't belong in today's often shallow climate, he couldn't bear to leave it as it is. Unfortunately, Jayceon Taylor isn't going to single-handedly rid the world of ringtone rappers, simplistic production and repetitive hooks with his third album. That would be unrealistic. However, by unveiling one near-impeccable love letter to circa '93 boom-bap, Game forces his contemporaries to raise the bar and instil a matching passion in their own work. L.A.X. is a triumphant stepping stone towards creating a modern day Hip-Hop culture that the mid-90s would willingly father; an era in Hip-Hop that The Game would be proud to claim as his own.

i didn't find any strong arguments for that statement  :P
i still think that a 4.5/5 rating is way too high; i guess we weren't listening to the same album

Conan

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • "Holler at your Uncle Snoopy..."
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2008, 02:55:46 PM »
If L.A.X. reveals one thing about The Game, it's that his relationship with Hip-Hop is one of love and hate. As much as he feels he doesn't belong in today's often shallow climate, he couldn't bear to leave it as it is. Unfortunately, Jayceon Taylor isn't going to single-handedly rid the world of ringtone rappers, simplistic production and repetitive hooks with his third album. That would be unrealistic. However, by unveiling one near-impeccable love letter to circa '93 boom-bap, Game forces his contemporaries to raise the bar and instil a matching passion in their own work. L.A.X. is a triumphant stepping stone towards creating a modern day Hip-Hop culture that the mid-90s would willingly father; an era in Hip-Hop that The Game would be proud to claim as his own.

i still think that a 4.5/5 rating is way too high; i guess we weren't listening to the same album

Word? To me, his music is far more substantial than so many of his peers - tracks like "Never Can Say Goodbye" and "Letter To The King" back this up, IMO. Even his single, "My Life," has more meaning than just about any other Hip-Hop jumpoff out right now.

With that said, it's substance, to me, that separates the era of Hip-Hop that Game loves with that of today. Concepts and messages are largely M.I.A. in MAINSTREAM rap - we all know this is the age of "ringtone rap." Game, on the other hand, sometimes reminds me of a throwback to early solo Cube. He shares his passion for speaking out and being the best at his craft.

So, yeah, if some of his more two-dimensional contemporaries check out L.A.X. - and a lot of them surely will - hopefully it will motivate them to bring increased meaning to their output. That, in turn, would breed a better modern-day Hip-Hop environment  - hence those lines you highlighted. That's just my thinking anyway.

Thanks for the feedback, all! :P
"Shit ain't all peaches and cream, and I ain't Sara Lee, bitch!" - Lloyd Banks

"I'm Morpheus in this Hip-Hop Matrix, exposing fake shit." - Common

"With consecutive platinum hits, I up my status. Ain't no more Calvin Broadus!" - Snoop

"Look at all these conscious rappers - guess who influenced them?" - KRS One

Dre-Day

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • No justice, no peace
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2008, 12:41:27 AM »

Word? To me, his music is far more substantial than so many of his peers - tracks like "Never Can Say Goodbye" and "Letter To The King" back this up, IMO. Even his single, "My Life," has more meaning than just about any other Hip-Hop jumpoff out right now.

With that said, it's substance, to me, that separates the era of Hip-Hop that Game loves with that of today. Concepts and messages are largely M.I.A. in MAINSTREAM rap - we all know this is the age of "ringtone rap." Game, on the other hand, sometimes reminds me of a throwback to early solo Cube. He shares his passion for speaking out and being the best at his craft.

So, yeah, if some of his more two-dimensional contemporaries check out L.A.X. - and a lot of them surely will - hopefully it will motivate them to bring increased meaning to their output. That, in turn, would breed a better modern-day Hip-Hop environment  - hence those lines you highlighted. That's just my thinking anyway.

ok i see your point, i guess to each his own  :P

T-Dogg

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2008, 03:19:42 AM »

I agree with the statement completely.

As far as I see it, The Game attempts to be a condensation of all the rappers he is a fan of - i.e. a condensation of "the game". LAX is an excellent example of that.