Author Topic: Year-end awards: MVPs and LVPs, Cy Youngs and Yuks ...  (Read 192 times)

Twentytwofifty

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Year-end awards: MVPs and LVPs, Cy Youngs and Yuks ...
« on: September 29, 2008, 05:46:22 PM »
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/columns/story?columnist=stark_jayson&id=3611226&lpos=spotlight&lid=tab4pos1

A pretty nice review.  I love this part:

Impossible Stuff That Really Happened This Year
• The only Padre to steal a base in July was noted burglar Greg Maddux.

• Willy Taveras stole five bases in one game June 14 -- and still didn't score a run.

• CC Sabathia is tied for the lead in shutouts in both leagues in the same season.

• The Giants just became the first team since the 1983 Dodgers to field an entire lineup of nine rookies (courtesy of the San Jose Mercury News' Andy Baggarly).

• The Tigers whiffed Angels rookie Sean Rodriguez on Sept. 4 -- on a 4-and-2 pitch -- when everybody lost track of the count, including the umpires and Rodriguez. "That's a new trick of ours," manager Jim Leyland said.

• Uber-efficent Rockies pitcher Aaron Cook threw a nine-inning complete game in just 79 pitches July 5. That's fewer pitches than 12 different pitchers threw this year without making it out of the third inning.

• The Rangers had a winning record in July -- even though their ERA for the month was 6.63.

• Two different Rays switch-hitters homered right-handed in the same game Sept. 17 -- but it was against a right-handed pitcher (Tim Wakefield), the first time that had ever happened in the 48-season expansion era.

• As my buddy Tim Kurkjian loves to point out, on Aug. 22, the Diamondbacks became the first team ever to have a 6-foot-10 pitcher (Randy Johnson) get relieved by a taller pitcher (6-11 Jon Rauch).

• Sure hope you didn't miss Jhonny Peralta's homer off Joel Peralta (Aug. 21), or Miguel Cabrera's homer off Daniel Cabrera (July 19), or Jose Reyes' two homers off Jo-Jo Reyes in one week (Sept. 13 and 19). Not to mention that Rays-Angels game Aug. 19 in which James Shields was the winning pitcher and Scot Shields was the losing pitcher.

• And I still can't believe Johan Santana had that at-bat Tuesday in which his bat hit the same ball twice -- first in the batter's box, and then again just before Cubs shortstop Ronny Cedeno was about to dodge the broken barrel and field it. "It should count for two hits," Santana said.

J.D. Wykid, Esq.

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Id rather be rich n unhappy than poor n miserable
Re: Year-end awards: MVPs and LVPs, Cy Youngs and Yuks ...
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2008, 06:49:40 PM »
Late-Night Quotes of the Year

• Fifth prize -- From David Letterman, on the Pope's visit to Yankee Stadium:

"People are saying it was a great mass. As a matter of fact, afterward the Yankees retired Roman numeral XVI."

• Fourth prize -- From Jay Leno, on the New York financial crisis:

"AIG has assets over $1 trillion. … Has anybody ever had $1 trillion and still failed? OK, besides the New York Yankees."

• Third prize -- From Letterman, on Barry Bonds' 44th birthday:

"This is kind of odd. Earlier today he tested positive for cake."

• Second prize -- Also from Letterman, on the final game at Yankee Stadium:

"The stadium will now be imploded. By the way, the team imploded around April."

• First prize -- From Leno, on A-Rod's favorite new squeeze, Madonna:

"How old is Madonna? Instead of A-Rod, maybe they should call him AARP-Rod."

HIII YOOOOOOO

'Oh I can't see him, I can't see God', YA'LL CAN'T SEE FUCKIN' AIR NEITHER!
Quote from: QuietTruth
Prove to me the wind. Show me the wind man. I want proof of that shit. Cuz I don't see it.

OG Hack Wilson

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2008, 06:53:25 PM »
my picks

al mvp = justin morneau

nl  = albert

al cy = c lee

nl cy = lincecum i guess

al roy = longoria

nl = not sure yet
Quote from: Now_I_Know on September 10, 2001, 04:19:36 PM
This guy aint no crip, and I'm 100% sure on that because he doesn't type like a crip, I know crips, and that fool is not a crip.

"I went from being homeless strung out on Dust to an 8 bedroom estate signed 2 1 of my fav rappers... Pump it up jokes can't hurt me."-- Mr. Joey Buddens

Don Jacob

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • don status, bitch
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2008, 07:16:55 PM »
the only award i'm sure of is Longoria for AL ROY.

R.I.P.  To my Queen and Princess 07-05-09

J.D. Wykid, Esq.

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Id rather be rich n unhappy than poor n miserable
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2008, 07:17:55 PM »
my picks

al mvp = justin morneau

nl  = albert

al cy = c lee

nl cy = lincecum i guess

al roy = longoria

nl = not sure yet

thats not even a question...Geovany Soto deserves ROY.

'Oh I can't see him, I can't see God', YA'LL CAN'T SEE FUCKIN' AIR NEITHER!
Quote from: QuietTruth
Prove to me the wind. Show me the wind man. I want proof of that shit. Cuz I don't see it.