Author Topic: I've always wondered why Kobe doesn't shoot a better FG percentage?  (Read 534 times)

Now_Im_Not_Banned

Re: I've always wondered why Kobe doesn't shoot a better FG percentage?
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2008, 01:30:08 PM »
WOuldn't Kobe be more efficient driving more then?  Or posting up half the game like MJ did for the second half of his career?   

I don't think Lebron will ever be a great 3 pt shooter, but with his size his future will be more in the post, especially when/if he loses some athleticism.  Wade better develop a better outside shot as his body won't be able to stand the punishment. 

Kobe is 30 years old man. As exciting as it is watching Wade go flying towards the basket with no regard for his body, that shit is a coaches nightmare. Kobe attacks the basket enough, if I were his coach I wouldn't want him to do it any more at this stage of his career. He has a damn good jumpshot and he needs to keep using it.

I agree, but then why didn't Kobe shoot a higher percentage when he was younger???  I like Kobe's game, and he has a good balance of inside/outside shooting, but it just seems like he should be able to shoot a higher percentage.......l.

considering the degree of difficulty in a good portion of his shots, Kobe's percentage is extremely nice...don't compare it to LBJ and Wade, compare it to other permieter oriented elite stars (T-Mac, Vince Carter, etc), and you'll see that he shoots a good percentage.

Is Erick Dampier a more efficient scorer than Chris Bosh or is Bosh is simply more perimeter oriented due to his more extensive arsenal on offense? It should make perfect sense to you.

Antonio

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • R.I.P. Nate
« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2008, 05:15:35 AM »
I've read an interview by Kobe's coach when he was in Lower Marion High School, and he said Kobe has to improve his mid-range shooting percentage. He made it after Kobe won the MVP, 2-3 months ago. And Kobe said his former coach was right, and that's where he should improve this year. I was watching the game vs Dallas, and check out those stats.

Kobe's field goal %

0-5 FEET        4-6
6-10 FEET      2-2
11-15 FEET     1-1
15+ FEET        5-15

15+ FEET is the problem. I hope that answers your question.

Twentytwofifty

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2008, 07:24:45 AM »
I was watching the game vs Dallas, and check out those stats.

Kobe's field goal %

0-5 FEET        4-6
6-10 FEET      2-2
11-15 FEET     1-1
15+ FEET        5-15

Um, sample size a little small isn't?

7even

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2008, 09:53:56 AM »

Kobe's field goal %

0-5 FEET        4-6
6-10 FEET      2-2
11-15 FEET     1-1
15+ FEET        5-15

It is, but still: Why in the fuck is he shooting so many long 2s? Can some Lakerfan who sees him all the time answer this? I understand why he is not going to the hoop, making contact, getting the call and the lay-up 10 times a game. I get that. But why not more shots from a bit nearer to the basket? Or real 3s if you want to take long-ranged shots. Those long 2s really piss me off. Not just in Kobe's case, of course. More like in the game of basketball, why do some players take so many long 2s, instead of 3s or mid-ranged shots? Kobe is mobile enough to get himself open nearer to the basket, it's not like he's Kyle Korver who can't lose the D as soon as he steps in nearer than 15 feet, feel me?
Cause I don't care where I belong no more
What we share or not I will ignore
And I won't waste my time fitting in
Cause I don't think contrast is a sin
No, it's not a sin

Antonio

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • R.I.P. Nate
« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2008, 10:28:20 AM »
Since we're talking about stats, those are the best scorers among the Shooting Guards in the League with their respective FG%.

1 Dwyane Wade , MIA - 28.2 - .497
2 Devin Harris , NJN - 25.3 - .487

3 Kobe Bryant , LAL - 24.4 - .469
4 Vince Carter , NJN - 23.8 - .484
5 Joe Johnson , ATL - 22.7 - .437
6 Kevin Durant , OKC - 22.2    - .456
7 O.J. Mayo , MEM - 21.9 - .464
8 Brandon Roy , POR - 20.9 - .463
9 Ben Gordon , CHI - 20.4 - .452
10 Chris Paul , NOH - 20.3 - .522
11 Jason Terry , DAL - 20.1    - .461
12 Jamal Crawford , GSW-NYK - 18.6 - .409
13 Derrick Rose , CHI - 18.4 - .487
14 Chauncey Billups , DEN-DET - 17.8 - .407
15 Allen Iverson , DET-DEN - 17.8 - .402
16 Ray Allen , BOS - 17.6 - .478
17 Baron Davis , LAC - 17.0 - .382
18 Marquis Daniels , IND - 16.1 - .460
19 Richard Hamilton , DET - 16.1 - .406
20 Mike Bibby , ATL - 16.0 - .466

Just 6 players out of 19 shoots better than Kobe. And if you watch them with attention, they are all players who plays aggressive under the basket making easy layups, easy dunks, high percentage shots. Kobe loves to take off balances shots, he takes fadeways, he shoots from the angle, from the middle range, he creates his own shot always.

See Hamilton: he's a player who usually shoots from mid range. He's shooting .406%. See Joe Johnson, he's another player who shoots from outside: he's shooting .437%. See Durant, see Iverson, see Baron Davis, Bibby... they are all player who shoots from middle-long range.

So... MID-LONG RANGE SHOOTS = BAD FG% (unless you are Ray Allen)

Kobe's field goal %

0-5 FEET        4-6
6-10 FEET      2-2
11-15 FEET     1-1
15+ FEET        5-15

It is, but still: Why in the fuck is he shooting so many long 2s? Can some Lakerfan who sees him all the time answer this? I understand why he is not going to the hoop, making contact, getting the call and the lay-up 10 times a game. I get that. But why not more shots from a bit nearer to the basket? Or real 3s if you want to take long-ranged shots. Those long 2s really piss me off. Not just in Kobe's case, of course. More like in the game of basketball, why do some players take so many long 2s, instead of 3s or mid-ranged shots? Kobe is mobile enough to get himself open nearer to the basket, it's not like he's Kyle Korver who can't lose the D as soon as he steps in nearer than 15 feet, feel me?

I dunno why. He feels confident about himself.

Turf Hitta

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #20 on: December 01, 2008, 03:32:10 PM »
bc he's a ball hog?

I would assume its mostly because defenses are designed to contain him on most nights.

Fuck Your Existence

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #21 on: December 01, 2008, 03:41:24 PM »
lol,the hate for kobe in this section is thick as fuck,almost comical

Chamillitary Click

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The greatest entertainer ever.
« Reply #22 on: December 01, 2008, 04:22:32 PM »

hate? lol...

people just wanna know why the player "better than Jordan", doesn't have a better FG percentage, thats all. :P

Fuck Your Existence

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #23 on: December 01, 2008, 04:37:31 PM »

hate? lol...

people just wanna know why the player "better than Jordan", doesn't have a better FG percentage, thats all. :P
LOL,whatever makes you feel better....but on the real the hate threads are way more pathetic. but by all means do you....

Chamillitary Click

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #24 on: December 01, 2008, 04:40:18 PM »

hate? lol...

LOL,whatever makes you feel better....but on the real the hate threads are way more pathetic. but by all means do you....

i got no hate for Kobe, he's the best player in the NBA hands down...i love watchin' him play.

he gets FAR too much praise on this board, but what do you expect on a westcoast forum? :P

Fuck Your Existence

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #25 on: December 01, 2008, 04:46:53 PM »
he gets FAR too much praise on this board, but what do you expect on a westcoast forum? :P
word,exactly doggie +1

Chamillitary Click

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #26 on: December 01, 2008, 04:48:37 PM »
word,exactly doggie +1

back at ya! ;)

+1

Turf Hitta

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #27 on: December 01, 2008, 04:57:56 PM »

you're kidding right? seems like every other thread is a jump on kobe's balls festival.

Now_Im_Not_Banned

« Reply #28 on: December 01, 2008, 08:25:21 PM »

Kobe's field goal %

0-5 FEET        4-6
6-10 FEET      2-2
11-15 FEET     1-1
15+ FEET        5-15

why are you questioning Kobe's game? if the formula works, stick to that shit...Jordan coulda' easily improved his field goal percentage by moving in a few steps closer and only shooting shots in or right around the paint, but he didn't. the more range you have, the lower your percentage will be. long-range shots are easier to creat space on than mid-to-short-range shots. Kobe takes perimeter shots from anywhere because he is good at knocking em down. Kobe is as confident in his 20 footer as he is in his 15 footer...how many times have you seen Kobe knock a fadeaway with a defender in his face from 30 feet? there's a reason he's the best on the planet...PeACe

Now_Im_Not_Banned

« Reply #29 on: December 01, 2008, 08:27:18 PM »

you're kidding right? seems like every other thread is a jump on kobe's balls festival.

for every 1 praise thread, there's 2 hate ones...and kobe deserves more praise than hate.