Author Topic: If I wanted to start bedroom rapping ....  (Read 581 times)

bez

If I wanted to start bedroom rapping ....
« on: January 21, 2009, 07:08:09 AM »
What do I need equipment wise. I got lyrics to spit and am sick of recording on my wack ass mobile phone. I want to put stuff down over instrumentals. Anyone got any good, cheap equipment suggestions for Windows XP?

morbidenigma

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Re: If I wanted to start bedroom rapping ....
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2009, 07:15:49 AM »
a decent mic would be a good start

bez

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2009, 07:17:18 AM »
a decent mic would be a good start
;D

Yeah but like what man?

J. Bryson

• Muthafuckin' OG
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2009, 12:32:27 PM »
yeah just get a decent mic to start out, and a simple program to record on to start out like mixcraft. i first started with this mic from guitar center...

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Blue-Snowball-USB-Microphone-103647319-i1127343.gc

cost only 100 bucks, eventually you'll want to upgrade but it's a great way to get started. decent mic.

'Illicit'

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • i rarely smoke... but i love mickey d's
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2009, 04:29:52 PM »
condenser mic (or ribbon, depending on taste) dynamic mic would do too, like the shure sm58 e.g.. interface with built in phantom power if the mic needs it... and adobe audition would suffice as a recording app, which you can download that off the net.   thats just a suggestion, the quality of the recording is only going to be as good as the weakest link in the equipment chain...

i would love to hear some of your shit though man, been readin your rhymes for ages..
I once walked into a brothel with a honeycomb and a jackass...

"Perhaps the most valuable result of all education is the ability to make yourself do the thing you have to do, when it ought to be done, whether you like it or not."

WCC Hall Of Famer

bez

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2009, 05:55:17 AM »
condenser mic (or ribbon, depending on taste) dynamic mic would do too, like the shure sm58 e.g.. interface with built in phantom power if the mic needs it... and adobe audition would suffice as a recording app, which you can download that off the net.   thats just a suggestion, the quality of the recording is only going to be as good as the weakest link in the equipment chain...

i would love to hear some of your shit though man, been readin your rhymes for ages..

Thanks man, looked into all that. Whats an interface with phantom power mate?

yeah just get a decent mic to start out, and a simple program to record on to start out like mixcraft. i first started with this mic from guitar center...

cost only 100 bucks, eventually you'll want to upgrade but it's a great way to get started. decent mic.

That looks great. I can pick one up in my home town for £75. Probably get that one. Looking forward to this shit now.

bez

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2009, 01:51:29 PM »
phantom power.....?

J. Bryson

• Muthafuckin' OG
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2009, 05:10:22 PM »

Thanks man, looked into all that. Whats an interface with phantom power mate?

That looks great. I can pick one up in my home town for £75. Probably get that one. Looking forward to this shit now.

yeah man, make sure you put up your songs. let me know how that mic works out. the great thing about that snowball mic is it comes with a USB cable and you can just plug it into the mic and your cpu or laptop. so you don't need interface or a mic cable for that. like i said once you get your feet off the ground you'll want to upgrade, i just got this new mic the "rode" from guitar center, very good.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Rode-Microphones-NT1-A-Anniversary-Model-Microphone-102019312-i1126925.gc

guitar center is expenisve but they're real good so it's worth it.

Roccy

« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2009, 05:50:31 PM »
Get a mic, phantom power, connect the mic to the power, the power to the wall, and one piece of it to the back of the PC (where the mic input is), download acid pro, download some beats, write your shit, and spit  :D
how it really goes down..

bez

« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2009, 07:11:14 AM »
Still dont really understand what this phantom power shit is though, ha

'Illicit'

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • i rarely smoke... but i love mickey d's
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2009, 07:30:57 AM »
most condenser or ribbon mics need phantom power which a mic preamp delivers. think of it as a power source in order to run the mic. but actually all you do is plug the XLR cable into the mic and run it to the preamp and then just turn on the phantom power.
I once walked into a brothel with a honeycomb and a jackass...

"Perhaps the most valuable result of all education is the ability to make yourself do the thing you have to do, when it ought to be done, whether you like it or not."

WCC Hall Of Famer

bez

« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2009, 08:03:20 AM »
So I need:

The Blue Snowball mic
A power source, that delivers phantom power
and
A software that allows me to record, edit, whatever, acid pro, adobe shit.

the ghost

« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2009, 03:28:43 PM »
Dont forget some good headphones!

bez

« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2009, 01:24:23 PM »
So I need:

The Blue Snowball mic
A power source, that delivers phantom power
and
A software that allows me to record, edit, whatever, acid pro, adobe shit.

anyone got any good cheap suggestions on the phantom power source then. I went and looked at all this shit today but I couldnt figure out which mixer with phantom power to get.

Roccy

« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2009, 01:32:18 PM »
Still dont really understand what this phantom power shit is though, ha

how it really goes down..