Author Topic: The Future Is Here! Flying Cars!  (Read 345 times)

ToOoOoN!!!

The Future Is Here! Flying Cars!
« on: January 22, 2009, 10:13:08 AM »
'Flying Car' Goes to Market
Irene Klotz, Discovery News

Prepare for Takeoff | Discovery News Video Jan. 22, 2009 -- A Boston-area company plans to begin flight tests this year of a two-seater airplane that moonlights as a car.

The aptly named Transition takes a stab at bridging the gap between automobiles and airplanes. Some people call it a flying car. The company designing and selling the vehicle prefers the term "roadable aircraft."

Either way, it boils down to this: You sit down behind the steering wheel, drive to the runway, unfold two wings and take off. You can fly 500 miles on a tank of gas -- regular unleaded -- and when you land, you simply fold up the wings and drive where you want to go. At the end of the day, you fly back, drive home and park inside your garage.

Terrafugia, of Woburn, Mass., is not the first firm to attempt what may be the ultimate hybrid.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"It's probably a concept that people have been dreaming up since there have been airplanes and cars," said Dick Knapinski with the Experimental Aircraft Association, a 55-year-old aviation group based in Oshkosh, Wisc.

A company called Aerocar of Longview, Wash., debuted one of the first flying cars in 1949. The company built six prototypes, one of which is sitting in the EAA's museum, but never went into production.

Terrafugia, founded in 2006 by a group of MIT students, has taken deposits for more than 40 Transitions and plans to begin deliveries in 2010, said Richard Gersh, vice president of business development.

The vehicles sell for $194,000.

Advances in materials and propulsion technologies are among the reasons why Terrafugia is in position for commercial success. But equally important, says Knapinski, is an easing of government regulations on private aircraft and pilot licensing.

Chad Vader

Re: The Future Is Here! Flying Cars!
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2009, 10:37:21 AM »
I want one...

« Last Edit: January 22, 2009, 05:24:37 PM by Chad Vader »

J.D. Wykid, Esq.

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Id rather be rich n unhappy than poor n miserable
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2009, 01:46:46 PM »
motherfuckers cant drive on the road....we really gonna trust em to be flying?!? lol

'Oh I can't see him, I can't see God', YA'LL CAN'T SEE FUCKIN' AIR NEITHER!
Quote from: QuietTruth
Prove to me the wind. Show me the wind man. I want proof of that shit. Cuz I don't see it.

J.D. Wykid, Esq.

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2009, 05:00:27 PM »
motherfuckers cant drive on the road....we really gonna trust em to be flying?!? lol

how about us two then?

naa...ill fuck around and crash into the grand canyon or some shit.  haha

Prove to me the wind. Show me the wind man. I want proof of that shit. Cuz I don't see it.

Invincible

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2009, 07:11:10 PM »
Thats never gonna work out. Looks ridiculous.    :-[

Chamillitary Click

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The greatest entertainer ever.
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2009, 08:07:16 PM »
amazing idea.

you can go where ever & i doubt there will be a speed limit lol.

but you allow people to fly things without laws, there are going to be hundreds of accidents & deaths.

people will be flying into buildings & possibly other aircrafts (like commercial flights).

the cost would be in the hundred thousand billion trillions lol.

but if i can afford it; sign me up!!! ;) ;D 8)

Mr. O

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2009, 08:17:46 PM »
i'm buying it when it comes out.  FUCK 405!
[flash=200,200<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/AlIxU8SiFZU?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/AlIxU8SiFZU?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>[/flash]

Chamillitary Click

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2009, 08:21:22 PM »
well honestly if this works & people are patient they will have saved at least a hundred thousand dollars.

lets face it, rich people are going to be the only ones who can afford this.

let them fly around in them for 7-8 years or so & then somebody will realize that the general public/middle class people want them too & make cheaper & less fancy, but probably equally as efficient ones for much, MUCH less. 8)

J.D. Wykid, Esq.

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2009, 08:32:33 PM »
if people really buy these, its going to be a disaster. 

Jome

« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2009, 08:23:44 AM »
There was an article in Norway's biggest newspaper VG today about the company Aptera.
They will launch this piece of work:

From behind:

They already received 4000 pre-orders, but only California residents can order it so far.
The production estimate is 10.000 in 2010 and 100.000 in 2015.

From Wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aptera_2_Series

* Applies for Green card *

Chamillitary Click

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2009, 01:28:03 PM »
that shit looks fly though. 8)

DJ SUGAFREE QUIK

« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2009, 03:05:06 PM »
And you know what they say about the 405 fwy?  It takes you 405 hours to get home.  4 or 5 hours is the translation. 

J.D. Wykid, Esq.

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2009, 03:11:13 PM »
And you know what they say about the 405 fwy?  It takes you 405 hours to get home.  4 or 5 hours is the translation. 

it takes you 4 o' 5 hours, cause you only go 4 o' 5 MPH.

Teddy Roosevelt

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The Trust-Buster
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2009, 03:27:13 PM »
well honestly if this works & people are patient they will have saved at least a hundred thousand dollars.

lets face it, rich people are going to be the only ones who can afford this.

let them fly around in them for 7-8 years or so & then somebody will realize that the general public/middle class people want them too & make cheaper & less fancy, but probably equally as efficient ones for much, MUCH less. 8)
Uhh.. that's just standard practice when sophisticated products are introduced. Companies have to sell it at a higher cost to make up some of the production costs. Once more and more are made supplies become cheaper and products can be more efficiently made. No company will just suddenly "realize that the general public/middle class people want them too". They just can't be offered at a price the general public can afford right away.

J.D. Wykid, Esq.

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2009, 04:17:44 PM »
with the way the economy is, i wonder if its the best time to introduce these to the public...then again, the people who can afford these right now arent feeling it too much.  but down the road, will people finally be able to afford these?  im guessing not..people are going to be feeling the effects of this weak economy for YEARS.  besides, after the first few dumb fucks crash into a building, they will be outlawed.  lol

im guessing the company goes belly up within 5 years.