Author Topic: Why don't some producers like Dj Khalil let their beat "roll" at the end?  (Read 201 times)

Prof@ssor

I love Dj Khalil's music for example, but I hate the fact that he doesn't let some of his beats roll at the end. (read: "let the instrumental play longer at the end").

Take Bishop Lamont's "Can't figure it Out" for example, that horn at the end is so lovely...but it's so short!
Or even newer tracks, like Joell Ortiz "Too Soon"...if you listen to the end of the track you can hear some VERY CREATIVE stuff...but again it's too short. Why desperately trying to make the tracks short when they don't even have a pure commercial purpose in first place?

Khalil (I secretly hope you'll read this lol), listen to some Terrace Martin and you'll understand what I mean!

Paul

i know what you mean

1 of my favourite beats ever is Daz production Kurupts "C Walk", i love how the beat just rides for an extra 2 min or so after the final hook

Khalil does cut it pretty short which is a shame cause youll struggle to find a weak production from his latest work
funkyfreshintheflesh

OG Hack Wilson

i hate that, i wanna hear raps

Quote from: Now_I_Know on September 10, 2001, 04:19:36 PM
This guy aint no crip, and I'm 100% sure on that because he doesn't type like a crip, I know crips, and that fool is not a crip.

"I went from being homeless strung out on Dust to an 8 bedroom estate signed 2 1 of my fav rappers... Pump it up jokes can't hurt me."-- Mr. Joey Buddens

EFFeX

Why desperately trying to make the tracks short when they don't even have a pure commercial purpose in first place?

Technically, he should let the beat ride a little longer at the end even if the song is over so the DJ's in the clubs and radio stations are able to properly mix into the next track.

I think the term is "coda".

Rick McCrank

yea I like it to at least roll for about 20 seconds.... at least

Meho

• Muthafuckin' Don!
I totally understand what you're talking about. Most recenet fadeaways I loved was Nas "Hero". Bitch Please 2 has a classic fadeaway with some sort of Xzibit outro.

T-Dogg

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Yeah I know what you're talking about. Though I don't think the beat should be let roll on EVERY track, it's definately nice when the instrumental is something special.

Also, I wish there'd be more instrumental and DJ scratching bits in the MIDDLE of tracks as well. Though it must be something worthy of putting there to interrupt the flow of the verses. One of favourite bits on DJ Quik's "Greatest Hits Live at the HOB" CD are the portions where he lets musicians from the band do a solo - especially Robert Bacon's solo - during the songs.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2009, 12:52:40 PM by T-Dogg »

pootypooty

• Muthafuckin' Don!
I love how long "Reality" rolls on off DPG's "Dogg Food" album. Such a chill instrumental.

Paul

It doesnt happen on doggystyle  :P
funkyfreshintheflesh

Episcop Cruel Cvrle

i love when the beat rolls at the end...night life by dj khalil is a great roll!

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

SLAUGHTERHOUSE PLAYER YOU ALREADY KNOW THO,A PIG IS OUR LOGO, BUT WE AINT THA PO-PO

WWW.DYNASTYENTGROUP.COM    WWW.THEBOSSBOARD.COM

Paul

i love when the beat rolls at the end...night life by dj khalil is a great roll!

thats that hot dollar track right?
funkyfreshintheflesh

JRK

• 'G'
  • WarDoggz - Diocese/TakeOff
I love Dj Khalil's music for example, but I hate the fact that he doesn't let some of his beats roll at the end. (read: "let the instrumental play longer at the end").

Take Bishop Lamont's "Can't figure it Out" for example, that horn at the end is so lovely...but it's so short!
Or even newer tracks, like Joell Ortiz "Too Soon"...if you listen to the end of the track you can hear some VERY CREATIVE stuff...but again it's too short. Why desperately trying to make the tracks short when they don't even have a pure commercial purpose in first place?

Khalil (I secretly hope you'll read this lol), listen to some Terrace Martin and you'll understand what I mean!

Prolly so myspace rappers don't loop his shit and call it a khalil production.... Naw for reals tho, idk.
GIVE ME MONEY, GIVE ME PUSSY!!!

Twitter "http://twitter.com/LetsGoJRK"