Author Topic: MTV News: Crooked I talks career, shooting in new song (FULL SONG DROPS 3/23)  (Read 895 times)

pootypooty

• Muthafuckin' Don!
http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1607374/20090319/crooked_i.jhtml

<a href="http://media.mtvnservices.com/mgid:uma:videolist:mtv.com:1607383" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://media.mtvnservices.com/mgid:uma:videolist:mtv.com:1607383</a>

Mar 19 2009 8:46 PM EDT
Crooked I Talks Career, Shooting In New Song -- Listen Here!
We caught up with the MC to talk about what's keeping him from signing a record deal.

By Shaheem Reid, with reporting by Sway Calloway

Crooked I has changed who he wants to be as an artist. He wants to apply more substance and articulate himself in a more universal manner.

MTV News was just given a brand-new Crooked I song, fresh out of the studio. The track, called "If You Ever Hear Me," was produced by King Tech, who co-hosts "The Wake Up Show" with our very own Sway. The track has Crooked asking for MCs to bring back the great feelings that legends such as Kool G. Rap and Public Enemy used to bring in their golden era. The West Coast MC also calls for his peers to stop biting other rappers, talks about his plight in the music biz and promises to have major impact if he gets his big break in the game.

"Got my first deal and they pulled out my arteries," he raps. "Shot me in the heart, I mean they killed the best apart of me/ ... Last year, I was sick of the music/ Now I'm twice that."

Crooked recently sat down with MTV News to discuss, among other things, why he hasn't been able to parlay his buzz on the Internet and in the streets into a record deal. One of the problems he's had in the past few years is trying to shake the stigma labels perceive of anyone associated with Suge Knight's former powerhouse.

"Two years ago, I would have said the Death Row thing," Crooked said of his biggest issue. "Definitely. A lot of people didn't want to deal with me, even when I was on Death Row. All the shootout, all the negative publicity. ... I would come to a Summer Jam concert in my city and they would be like, 'You can't walk in the building at all.' I would be like, 'I'm by myself. What am I gonna do? You have all the security. I'm just here to perform my little song and leave.' Just being attached to Death Row, it was hard for me.

"I've been independent, doing my thing since 2004, but the clouds lingered," Crooked added. "Even two years after I left [the label], people thought Suge Knight was gonna jump out of the closet behind me. People was like, 'Should we do business with this dude, or is Suge gonna pop out of nowhere?' We severed ties in '04. I don't owe him anything, he doesn't owe me anything. Different labels wanted to work with me, but they didn't want to deal with that headache. I understood that."

Lately, though, Crooked said the main thing stopping him from signing a deal are the negotiations. He said labels don't want to pay what he's worth.

"These past two years, I think it's me," he admitted. " ... My fans online are begging for an album. People call my office and threaten to blow it up if I don't get the album out. I just did a show in Portland where dudes have freestyles tattooed on their arm all the way down. They want the album. But I can't walk in and willingly get [shortchanged] by a record executive. I can't do it."

At the end of the song, Crooked addresses being shot at recently. On the track, he tells the assailants that the shots didn't stop him.

« Last Edit: March 19, 2009, 11:55:56 PM by pootypooty »

pootypooty

• Muthafuckin' Don!
This is an example of the kind of beats I hope to hear Crooked flowing over for the BOSS album. Nothing over the top, but suits his delivery to a "T" yet still has a hard hitting drum to it.

pootypooty

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Just found out at Budden's forum that the full song will drop on Monday, 3/23.

Luigi Vercotti

• Lil Geezy
  • High Class
Aye thanx for this, just saw this high class news over at Dynasty Online Community. Seems like a great song!
I decided to open a high class night club for the gentry at Biggleswade with international cuisine and cooking and top line acts, and not a cheap clip joint for picking up tarts -- that was right out, I deny that completely.

conqueso34

• Muthafuckin' OG
dope track, like how hes gonna stay doing him, cant wait for more music from him

also, why wouldnt they add to the press release that BOSS is gonna be free, maybe get a few more people waiting for it, everybody likes free shit, right?
« Last Edit: March 20, 2009, 01:41:39 AM by conqueso34 »

Jaydc555

He needs to give up on the perfect deal coming along with a major or go independent.

Booz

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Ookkonää Oulusta, pelekääkkö nää polliisia?
"But I can't walk in and willingly get [shortchanged] by a record executive. I can't do it."
He should stop living in a fucking dream world, major executives are gonna fuck you over always & you aint gonna get a million dollar record deal.
Go team up with Tech N9ne, get your hungry flow back & put some shit out independent.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2009, 05:54:13 AM by Booz »

Action!

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Haha, dope song.  I just mentioned in I'm Still A MC how he should have a chorus with a screwed voice.  haha, dope shit.
Cool breeze; I'm hopping out of new Beams
My outfit ran me a few G's but none of that will matter if you leave
I used to be an Adam with two Eves and shawtys automatically do me
Excuse me, all that happened before you doesn't matter
I'm a vision of the future climbing the success ladder
Recline, in the mean time, twenty three shine, diamond bling blind as I rewind
- Banks

Mista Rosa

wish crooked hook up with nate dogg would be dope.
they did it once with " crook in me "
"There's one more thing I'd really like for you to do, never leave me alone..."

Detox Iz Not Active

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Tonite
this shooting was the best thing to happen to him

seems like he set it all up
Guess who back in the motherfuckin house
With a fat dick for your motherfuckin mouth
Hoes recognize, niggaz do too
Cuz when bitches get skanless and pull a voodoo.....

Hatesrats™

• Tha Drunk Gem-in-I
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • "Gz Up, Hoes Down"
He's coming out swinging.
Crooked goes hard once again.

JohnnyL

dope track, like how hes gonna stay doing him, cant wait for more music from him

also, why wouldnt they add to the press release that BOSS is gonna be free, maybe get a few more people waiting for it, everybody likes free shit, right?

Great point.  That would have been the perfect opportunity for a free plug.

Btw, did I miss it, or did they mention where the song is going to end up.  Is this a mixtape track, or is this another one he's just putting out online?

Elano

crooked I should work with this band if he wants to make money

OG Hack Wilson

dope song
Quote from: Now_I_Know on September 10, 2001, 04:19:36 PM
This guy aint no crip, and I'm 100% sure on that because he doesn't type like a crip, I know crips, and that fool is not a crip.

"I went from being homeless strung out on Dust to an 8 bedroom estate signed 2 1 of my fav rappers... Pump it up jokes can't hurt me."-- Mr. Joey Buddens

EFFeX

Great point.  That would have been the perfect opportunity for a free plug.

Btw, did I miss it, or did they mention where the song is going to end up.  Is this a mixtape track, or is this another one he's just putting out online?

They didn't say... I wouldn't be surprised if he throw it on B.O.S.S., but there was no indication that the 7 songs he's done with Tech so far have anything to do with that project.