Author Topic: Should the bball foul limit be raised?  (Read 356 times)

Tay

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Bay Area Representative
Should the bball foul limit be raised?
« on: March 20, 2009, 03:00:15 PM »
I've heard this argument before, and am starting to really agree with it. Watching the NCAA Tourney so far, so many of the best players are missing time due to foul trouble and even fouling out, and a lot of these have been really soft fouls. If it was raised to the NBA level of 6, would we be treated to watch the better players compete throughout the entire game? This can apply to the NBA as well. The obvious response would be to tell these guys not to foul so much, but in some cases it is out of control due to easy layups, intentional fouls, and bad officiating. The one thing that's clear is that the fans want to see the best players on the court, and not sitting on the bench because of a questionable foul or 2.
I got a bird's eye view

OG Hack Wilson

Re: Should the bball foul limit be raised?
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2009, 03:11:01 PM »
6 is enough

they used to make it 5
Quote from: Now_I_Know on September 10, 2001, 04:19:36 PM
This guy aint no crip, and I'm 100% sure on that because he doesn't type like a crip, I know crips, and that fool is not a crip.

"I went from being homeless strung out on Dust to an 8 bedroom estate signed 2 1 of my fav rappers... Pump it up jokes can't hurt me."-- Mr. Joey Buddens

Tay

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2009, 03:36:29 PM »
What about college? You think it should stay the same, or be moved to 6?
I got a bird's eye view

DJ SUGAFREE QUIK

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2009, 04:08:19 PM »
Stay the same.  If they were true fans, they would watch regardless if the star player is still playing or fouled out.  If it sounds mean, i'm sorry.  It had 2 do with a couple of idiots on the radio in the mid 90's.  One said there should be 7 fouls in the nba, even though there were times in the mid 90's playoffs[where fixing games were starting to be a trend] when ewing, robinson & maybe some other would do 7-8 fouls when they're in foul trouble & the refs refuse to call them.  And another acts like they should not foul out the stars cause the star players are there for the fans. :loco:

Chamillitary Click

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The greatest entertainer ever.
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2009, 04:18:53 PM »
stay the same!

i dont wanna see hacking!

.:DaYg0sTyLz:.

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2009, 05:13:16 PM »
it should stay the same. U gotta remember too, they play more minutes in the NBA.  As a player, youre basically allowed a foul every 8 minutes of game play....for each NBA and NCAA.
"...and these niggas gettin tattoo tears...industry Bloods that show fear, when the authentics are near"

'EclipZe

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2009, 08:36:28 AM »
it's 5 in europe... so 6 is more than enough. Shouldn't make dumb ass foul's :P

Tay

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2009, 11:27:32 AM »
I think that the NBA is ok, and the problem I have with NCAA really comes down to officiating I think. The worst calls I've seen is when a guy shakes the defender and gets bumped a little bit, they will call the foul even if he is past the defender. Instead of a fast break advantage, the play is stopped. I understand it's a foul, but it doesn't affect the play. As for having the best players out, the fans will still watch, but the games are better when you are watching the best athletes, so you don't want to see them on the bench because of a questionable reach-in foul or something like that.
I got a bird's eye view

Rick McCrank

white Boy

• The totally random poster
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • http://bigbowlofsoup.tumblr.com/
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2009, 04:07:16 PM »
def no more than 6, but i could see the college limit goin up from 5, cause ot games, its way too easy for big men to not foul out

.:DaYg0sTyLz:.

« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2009, 04:41:29 PM »
def no more than 6, but i could see the college limit goin up from 5, cause ot games, its way too easy for big men to not foul out

how do u justify allowing the same amount of fouls within 40 minutes (NCAA) as u do within 48 minutes (NBA)?

Heres the other reason I dont want to see it raised. It would slow the pace of the game. Like it or not, referees DO get influenced by the foul limit.  Im sure youve all noticed how hard it is for a superstar to pick up that 6th foul in the NBA. I guarantee you, if you lowered say, the NBA foul limit to 4 per game...youd still have the same amount of players fouling out. Just less fouls called per game.
"...and these niggas gettin tattoo tears...industry Bloods that show fear, when the authentics are near"

Tay

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2009, 09:45:29 PM »
^^That's what I'd really want. Less fouls, a lot less of that ticky-tack stuff, and none of the "I'm not sure if that was a charge or a block so I won't call anything". The NBA doesn't seem to be a problem with this, but college bball can get so sloppy and dependent on trying to draw the foul. I would like to see less fouling, but the refs do need to swallow their whistles sometimes. I'd also like to see more coaches stop pulling players because they get a quick foul, tell them to be smart and play the way they should so foul trouble doesn't affect them.
I got a bird's eye view

DJ SUGAFREE QUIK

« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2009, 10:15:09 PM »

how do u justify allowing the same amount of fouls within 40 minutes (NCAA) as u do within 48 minutes (NBA)?

Heres the other reason I dont want to see it raised. It would slow the pace of the game.
And college hoops are slow to finish enough as is.  When there's something about to come on at the time, the game still ain't over.  Too much time outs also, especially at the end of the game. 

Now_Im_Not_Banned

« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2009, 06:09:52 PM »
refs should just stop calling pussy fouls...that's about it.

thisoneguy360

« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2009, 08:49:36 PM »
^ Lol forreal. There's time's when I think it should be raised in college but overall I think it's ok the way it is.