Author Topic: Buying a PC vs building one...  (Read 479 times)

Matty

Re: Buying a PC vs building one...
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2009, 11:41:48 PM »
build from a barebones setup. the trickest part is attaching the motherboard to the case imo so that's already done for you.

Don Jacob

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • don status, bitch
« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2009, 11:56:44 PM »
what do you guys suggest, in terms of hooking up to a 1080p 52' plasma?

R.I.P.  To my Queen and Princess 07-05-09

Matty

« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2009, 12:39:45 AM »
panasonic is most likely to give best performance through VGA - not HDMI. I have a Panasonic HDTV and use VGA from my PC (not a plasma tho). Few settings to tweak but the picture looks amazing. My friend has a 1080p Phillips set and uses a HDMI lead from his laptop. Looks completely crap. He thinks its automatically awesome cause its 1080p. Funny how some marketing slogan makes people oblivious to the reality of the actual image quality.

1080p over HDMI might be cool with a big plasma but i know that Panasonic's VGA socket implementation is head and shoulders above most brands.

Money

« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2009, 09:00:29 PM »
build one

Al Bundy

« Reply #22 on: March 30, 2009, 09:18:40 PM »
& you don't need to pay for vista  8)

Money

« Reply #23 on: March 30, 2009, 09:23:44 PM »
& you don't need to pay for vista  8)
sure he does

.:TimeLock:.

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Da Time Keepa!
« Reply #24 on: March 30, 2009, 10:18:27 PM »
if u don't know how to build one urself don't fuck with it just buy one less head aches is the long run

acgrundy

« Reply #25 on: March 30, 2009, 11:02:14 PM »
I don't think you would really save much money (if any at all) by building your own, unless you do it professionally and have great hookups on parts and are building a crazy machine.  For the most part computers are cheap, and you can find great deals on them these days.

I bought my computer in December 07...I was contemplating just like you...I ended up buying a floor model at Best Buy:

Its an HP
AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 5600+
3 gigs memory
500 gig hard drive
dvd burner
I don't know what the graphics card is...I don't play games
Also has a built in TV tuner, supposedly you can watch TV on it, but I never checked into how to do that (if anyone knows let me know)
Also came w/ Vista

Works great for me,  only problem I have had is the dvd drive died after a year.  Other than that it has been great.  I got it for just over $300, and I added a 17" HD flatscreen off the floor for about $120 more.

BTW, why do people want to hook up your computer to your TV?

Don Jacob

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • don status, bitch
« Reply #26 on: March 31, 2009, 03:50:31 AM »
it's a lot more better i think, plus with one swith i can go from posting here, to playing xbox, to watching tv.

plus if you have a theater system is sounds better when you're watching stuff on your computer.

R.I.P.  To my Queen and Princess 07-05-09

Matty

« Reply #27 on: March 31, 2009, 09:51:14 PM »
big b - the original poster said he wanted a pc that would be alright for games price range between 400-800. he didn't say put together the ideal pc and that price is no object.

i didn't do the math fully but it seems like to use the parts you listed would cost about DOUBLE his maximum budgeted amount. there was another poster who did exactly the same thing - ignored the original post entirely and acted out his own fantasies by saying build a monster pc. lol :laugh:

Muhfukka

« Reply #28 on: March 31, 2009, 10:05:58 PM »
with one swith i can go from posting here, to playing xbox, to watching tv.

haha

Money

« Reply #29 on: April 01, 2009, 06:10:59 AM »
big b - the original poster said he wanted a pc that would be alright for games price range between 400-800. he didn't say put together the ideal pc and that price is no object.

i didn't do the math fully but it seems like to use the parts you listed would cost about DOUBLE his maximum budgeted amount. there was another poster who did exactly the same thing - ignored the original post entirely and acted out his own fantasies by saying build a monster pc. lol :laugh:

i wanted to make a machine that would last him another 4 years

if i where to build a monster machine it would be $15,000

Intel- ~$1353 ($800 + $533)
AMD- ~$1238 ($800 + $438)

whats 50% between friends?