Author Topic: Is there any MLB manager that isn't afraid to use their closer in the 8th?  (Read 266 times)

TraceOneInfinite Flat Earther 96'

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Permanent Resident Flat Erth 1996 Pre-Sept. 13th
Just curious... because a team like the Royals loses alot of games, and we have a great closer in Joakim Soria; and I just don't feel like he gets used enough.  Because he's only used in the 9th inning in close games when the Royals are actually winning.  To me, that just isn't enough.  I would risk it and bring him in in the 8th in tight ballgames like the one yesterday, and then if we weren't able to use him the next night then so be it.
Givin' respect to 2pac September 7th-13th The Day Hip-Hop Died

(btw, Earth 🌎 is not a spinning water ball)

Chamillitary Click

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The greatest entertainer ever.
the Yankees bring in Mo in the 8th (most of the time with one or two outs; never starting him that inning) & he is usually most effective. ;) 8)

Javier

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Just curious... because a team like the Royals loses alot of games, and we have a great closer in Joakim Soria; and I just don't feel like he gets used enough.  Because he's only used in the 9th inning in close games when the Royals are actually winning.  To me, that just isn't enough.  I would risk it and bring him in in the 8th in tight ballgames like the one yesterday, and then if we weren't able to use him the next night then so be it.

That sort of thinking is too outside the box for MLB managers.  You only see closers in those situations when the rest of the bullpen has been taxed or for certain team's heart of the lineup comes up in the 8th.  I would like to see Managers bring in their best pitcher at the most crucial points of the game.  Some managers don't even bring out their closers in a tied game.  In my opinion, it should be the best pitcher available in crucial moments.  That's why I'm not that big of a fan of the Save Statistic, and I prefer looking at the K rates, WHIP, BAA, and of course ERA. 

herpes

Well with Juan Cruz you now have of the best set up men in baseball, that first game of the season I don't know why he wasn't used though.  But with him there is no need to use Soria in the 9th except in emergency.  But the way pitchers are handled now a days no one goes 2 innings anymore just like Starters rarely go past 7 innings.  These guys are handled with baby gloves and conditioned mentally and physically in such a way you change that it completely throws them out of wack.

the ghost

Alot of the Baseball think tanks think that the closer is best brought in at any situation you feel you need your best pitcher for.  It does make sense.  Say you have a 2 run lead in the 6th and your SP loads up the bases.  You have clearly a bad situation.  Would it not make sense to bring in your best arm to get out of that instead of someone who has less "stuff"?  You can worry about the last three innings later, but you have to look at the situation first.  If you bring in scrub arm and he lets 3 runs score, who cares if your closer is in the pen with a good arm.  I would love to see some more creative uses of closers.