Author Topic: Hip hop and blacks have run out of ideas. Become one dimensional  (Read 741 times)

Drudge

• Muthafuckin' OG
http://www.theroot.com/views/rock-black-music-too?Gt1=38002

Rock is Black Music, Too
Hip-hop has run out of ideas. And if you need proof, consider that Lil Wayne’s doing a rock album.
By: Rob Fields | Posted: April 21, 2009 at 6:49 AM
PrintEmailRSSBuzz up!
BiggerSmaller
 RELATED TAGSblack community
lil wayne
music
rock
Culture
Rock is Black Music, Too
Hip-hop has run out of ideas. And if you need proof, consider that Lil Wayne’s doing a rock album.
lottie.joiner

<p>Hip-hop has run out of ideas. And if you need proof, consider that Lil Wayne’s doing a rock album.</p>
04/21/2009 06:49
Know what the problem is with black folks? No imagination.

Sounds crazy, I know, but consider black music.Every significant moment in America’s history has been accompanied by its own soundtrack. And black musicians have often written the music and the lyrics. But what’s our soundtrack now?

The music industry has imposed the same low expectations on black artists and black life that politicians and pundits have imposed on black folks with respect to education, business and simply managing our daily lives. And we’ve let it happen.

The blues and jazz gave meaning to our lives in the 20th century, and it still enjoys a fringe following. But it doesn't fit this new age. R&B is formulaic and predictable. And hip-hop? In its commercial form—the stuff that hammers us from radio and video outlets—has painted itself and its fans into a corner, boxed in on all sides by what Brown professor Tricia Rose calls the pimp-gangsta-ho triumvirate. 

Essentially, we've let a small group of hip-hop "artists" of limited experiences, education and vision set our cultural agenda. In this age of expanded possibilities, it is time to broaden our musical influences. Hip-hop is out of ideas. If you need convincing, consider this: The best-selling rapper of 2008—Lil Wayne—is doing a rock album. Yes, a rock album.

It’s time to give black rock another look. From artists as diverse as TV on the Radio, Shingai Shoniwa of The Noisettes, Gnarls Barkley, Santigold and The Family Stand, to performers at the recent South by Southwest Music Festival like Ben Harper, Whole Wheat Bread, BLK JKS, Janelle Monae and Ebony Bones, black rockers take to heart the idea that our imagination and creativity are boundless.

Take, for instance, Grammy winner Janelle Monae. She created a dystopian landscape in her album Metropolis: The Chase Suite, that is part Blade Runner, part Fritz Lang's Metropolis. It's a radical, yet accessible, departure from the “keep it real” orthodoxy that pervades most of what's on black radio's playlist. And having seen hundreds of fans flock to her Central Park SummerStage show in NYC last summer, I wasn't the only one who saw her bring something refreshing and exciting to music. The tagline on the signs that many fans waved underscored a simple truth: “Imagination Inspires Nations.”

Black rock artists have gotten past the fear that prevents many of us from fully following our interests, even when those interests aren't seen as "traditionally" black. "I grew up listening to Joy Division, New Order, Echo & the Bunnymen, the Cure…." says TV on the Radio's Kyp Malone. "I simply identified with something in the [white rock] music.” He took that music as inspiration and, along with his bandmates, created Dear Science, the sharp, angry and euphoric genre-mashing album that Rolling Stone and SPIN unanimously named their 2008 album of the year. It was also one of the blackest albums I've heard.

Black rock can change lives. It changed mine. In the 1980s, I was a regular, middle-class kid from the Midwest, who started listening to Top 40 radio in eighth grade as a reaction to the repetitive playlists and limited subject matter on black radio. Top 40 radio introduced me to artists like Journey ("Who's Cryin' Now") and Styx ("The Best of Times"), who moved me with their melancholy and soaring guitar solos. AC/DC's "Back in Black" gripped me with its signature opening riff. And I found it impossible to ignore the incredible songwriting and storytelling that went into The Eagles' "Hotel California." For me, rock was simply more creative and raw than the slick, synthy sounds on black radio. It still is.

To reclaim our place as musical innovators, we need music that's up to the task. We need artists who have the courage to explore new sounds and ideas. But there's no way today's artists can do that if their grasp of music history only extends to the latest ‘80s record Diddy sampled.

Just as Stevie Wonder counted Joni Mitchell and her experimental chord structures as one of his big music influences, Beyoncé now credits Etta James and the roots of rock 'n roll for helping her to find more expansive ways to be herself.

The Black Rock Coalition's manifesto says, "Rock is black music, and we are its heirs." These times call for substance, not swagger. Rock, America's subversive, anarchic, rebellious gift to the world, is ours, and we need to stop treating it like some bad four-letter word.

Rob Fields writes about black rock and the evolving black imagination on his blog, boldaslove.us.

Also on The Root:

Terence Samuel tells WHY THE DEMS CAN'T COUNT ON SPECTER. Kai Wright looks for the BULLY IN THE PULPIT.

Blasphemy

Re: Hip hop and blacks have run out of ideas. Become one dimensional
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2009, 09:31:39 AM »
http://www.theroot.com/views/rock-black-music-too?Gt1=38002

Rock is Black Music, Too
By: Rob Fields | Posted: April 21, 2009 at 6:49 AM
PrintEmailRSSBuzz up!
BiggerSmaller
 RELATED TAGSblack community
lil wayne
music
rock
Culture
Rock is Black Music, Too
lottie.joiner

<p>Hip-hop has run out of ideas. And if you need proof, consider that Lil Wayne’s doing a rock album.</p>
04/21/2009 06:49
Know what the problem is with black folks? No imagination.

Sounds crazy, I know, but consider black music.Every significant moment in America’s history has been accompanied by its own soundtrack. And black musicians have often written the music and the lyrics. But what’s our soundtrack now?

The music industry has imposed the same low expectations on black artists and black life that politicians and pundits have imposed on black folks with respect to education, business and simply managing our daily lives. And we’ve let it happen.

The blues and jazz gave meaning to our lives in the 20th century, and it still enjoys a fringe following. But it doesn't fit this new age. R&B is formulaic and predictable. And hip-hop? In its commercial form—the stuff that hammers us from radio and video outlets—has painted itself and its fans into a corner, boxed in on all sides by what Brown professor Tricia Rose calls the pimp-gangsta-ho triumvirate. 

Essentially, we've let a small group of hip-hop "artists" of limited experiences, education and vision set our cultural agenda. In this age of expanded possibilities, it is time to broaden our musical influences. Hip-hop is out of ideas. If you need convincing, consider this: The best-selling rapper of 2008—Lil Wayne—is doing a rock album. Yes, a rock album.

It’s time to give black rock another look. From artists as diverse as TV on the Radio, Shingai Shoniwa of The Noisettes, Gnarls Barkley, Santigold and The Family Stand, to performers at the recent South by Southwest Music Festival like Ben Harper, Whole Wheat Bread, BLK JKS, Janelle Monae and Ebony Bones, black rockers take to heart the idea that our imagination and creativity are boundless.

Take, for instance, Grammy winner Janelle Monae. She created a dystopian landscape in her album Metropolis: The Chase Suite, that is part Blade Runner, part Fritz Lang's Metropolis. It's a radical, yet accessible, departure from the “keep it real” orthodoxy that pervades most of what's on black radio's playlist. And having seen hundreds of fans flock to her Central Park SummerStage show in NYC last summer, I wasn't the only one who saw her bring something refreshing and exciting to music. The tagline on the signs that many fans waved underscored a simple truth: “Imagination Inspires Nations.”

Black rock artists have gotten past the fear that prevents many of us from fully following our interests, even when those interests aren't seen as "traditionally" black. "I grew up listening to Joy Division, New Order, Echo & the Bunnymen, the Cure…." says TV on the Radio's Kyp Malone. "I simply identified with something in the [white rock] music.” He took that music as inspiration and, along with his bandmates, created Dear Science, the sharp, angry and euphoric genre-mashing album that Rolling Stone and SPIN unanimously named their 2008 album of the year. It was also one of the blackest albums I've heard.

Black rock can change lives. It changed mine. In the 1980s, I was a regular, middle-class kid from the Midwest, who started listening to Top 40 radio in eighth grade as a reaction to the repetitive playlists and limited subject matter on black radio. Top 40 radio introduced me to artists like Journey ("Who's Cryin' Now") and Styx ("The Best of Times"), who moved me with their melancholy and soaring guitar solos. AC/DC's "Back in Black" gripped me with its signature opening riff. And I found it impossible to ignore the incredible songwriting and storytelling that went into The Eagles' "Hotel California." For me, rock was simply more creative and raw than the slick, synthy sounds on black radio. It still is.

To reclaim our place as musical innovators, we need music that's up to the task. We need artists who have the courage to explore new sounds and ideas. But there's no way today's artists can do that if their grasp of music history only extends to the latest ‘80s record Diddy sampled.

Just as Stevie Wonder counted Joni Mitchell and her experimental chord structures as one of his big music influences, Beyoncé now credits Etta James and the roots of rock 'n roll for helping her to find more expansive ways to be herself.

The Black Rock Coalition's manifesto says, "Rock is black music, and we are its heirs." These times call for substance, not swagger. Rock, America's subversive, anarchic, rebellious gift to the world, is ours, and we need to stop treating it like some bad four-letter word.

Rob Fields writes about black rock and the evolving black imagination on his blog, boldaslove.us.

Also on The Root:

Terence Samuel tells WHY THE DEMS CAN'T COUNT ON SPECTER. Kai Wright looks for the BULLY IN THE PULPIT.

Lolz He's using Lil Wayne as a example. Southern rap = shit to begin with, let them invade rock, it wouldn't even phase em. Body Count! (Ice T's band) 4 LIFE! lol

BiggBoogaBiff

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2009, 10:14:26 AM »
Southern COMMERCIAL Rap is bullshit but not Southern Rap in general^^^.  But I agree with wat the poster put.  Shit, I've been saying that... but me personally I love all of hip hop, whether it's sweet-tart hip hop or roaches in the wall rap.  It's been time to move on but you have to remember, just bcuz there's a few intelligent people on the internet doesn't mean that tha MASSES will follow, not everybody has access to the world wide web.  i know a couple niggaz up Baltimore who've never touched a computer... real talk.  but as far as the future of hip hop goes, it'll always have a future- just one that may not always be comfortable with it's "before" fans

And Lil' Wayne has BEEN the shit- stop exercising your right to free speech... alotta u niggaz look like haters////real talk

Chamillitary Click

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The greatest entertainer ever.
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2009, 10:56:04 AM »
that is an interesting point.

i think i have to agree to a degree with "hip hop has run out of ideas".

there are a few creative & new things (autotune) done by rappers, but generally most sound the same.

but the real good ones have a sound of there own & it just doesnt get old. 8)

MediumL

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2009, 11:16:02 AM »
maybe in america but in the UK and London there's lots of new genres being created by black artists. Most are derived from electronic music and jugle but stuff like Funky House, Dubstep and Grime are all pretty innvotive imo. The music in the UK charts at the moment tends to rip off the 80s a bit but with modern influences like hip hop new sounds are being created which work really well. I agree that American hip hop and mainstream rnb has become very formulaic thanks to pressure from record labels to sell. At the end of the day people will get bored and force music labels to switch it up...
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/DjGVAwyb454" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/DjGVAwyb454</a>

Cali Climate

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2009, 11:18:54 AM »
...and the rest of the civilized world just shakes it's collective head and goes back to whatever they were doing.

Bch

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • NoSuchThing as Failures Only QuittRs & BullshittRs
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2009, 11:38:18 AM »
honestly right now.. the kings of the game are believe it or not are PITBULL and FLO RIDA, AKON, T PAIN with all t he mainstream party shit... im waiting for JERKN to blow up.. but those artist make great party/uptempo music which is what the mainstream or radio music is all about now.. 'til slaughterhouse blows up and makes lyrics listenable again in the mainstream i don't see a possible reformation coming in the too near future.

TraceOneInfinite Flat Earther 96'

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Permanent Resident Flat Erth 1996 Pre-Sept. 13th
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2009, 03:52:16 PM »
One factor that I think should of been mentioned in this article....

-blacks are no longer America's favorite "underdog" so to the speak.  Rappers used to be like the ultimate underdogs who came from nothing and overcame the odds to achieve greatness.  Now black people aren't really viewed as the underdog anymore.  Most obvious example of this is we now have a black man in the white house.  This would of never seemed possible in the 90's.

-Economically, blacks are no longer viewed as being the most impoverished people.  Whites typically think of blacks as having as much or more than them; that's the new perception that's out there.  Blacks aren't really seen as living in great want or need much more than whites.  I know statistically blacks are still poorer than whites but I'm talking about the general perception. 

-The struggle is not really there anymore.  Black people used to be America's favorite victim.  But now the perception is starting to change, whereas whites are starting to percieve blacks as benefiting from the society and gaining the advantage and upper-hand over them.

-Gangsta Rap can not be successful like it was in the 90's because of lot of the shock value fed off of white fear of blacks.  Since whites no longer fear blacks, and blacks are no longer alienated from whites, the shock value is gone. 
Givin' respect to 2pac September 7th-13th The Day Hip-Hop Died

(btw, Earth 🌎 is not a spinning water ball)

BiggBoogaBiff

« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2009, 04:40:09 PM »
One factor that I think should of been mentioned in this article....

-blacks are no longer America's favorite "underdog" so to the speak.  Rappers used to be like the ultimate underdogs who came from nothing and overcame the odds to achieve greatness.  Now black people aren't really viewed as the underdog anymore.  Most obvious example of this is we now have a black man in the white house.  This would of never seemed possible in the 90's.

-Economically, blacks are no longer viewed as being the most impoverished people.  Whites typically think of blacks as having as much or more than them; that's the new perception that's out there.  Blacks aren't really seen as living in great want or need much more than whites.  I know statistically blacks are still poorer than whites but I'm talking about the general perception. 

-The struggle is not really there anymore.  Black people used to be America's favorite victim.  But now the perception is starting to change, whereas whites are starting to percieve blacks as benefiting from the society and gaining the advantage and upper-hand over them.

-Gangsta Rap can not be successful like it was in the 90's because of lot of the shock value fed off of white fear of blacks.  Since whites no longer fear blacks, and blacks are no longer alienated from whites, the shock value is gone. 

i understand what you meant by "perception" but wat world do u live in?? lol  Obama aint THAT big in the hood (everywhere)  there's still ALOT of niggaz who could care less.  i hate when people say dum shit like what you just wrote... i COMPLETLY disagree with all of your points you just tried 2 make (with evidence besides stats)... we ARE STILL everything opposite of what you just wrote, the only thing that was true was the shock value of gangsta rap being dead... i guess u havent been in the projects as of lately or you've been trying to stay away from it for tha longest

Cali Climate

« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2009, 04:42:36 PM »
^^Yeah u mad.

BiggBoogaBiff

« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2009, 04:49:12 PM »
^^Yeah u mad.

i have to keep calm b4 i 4get im dealin with a buncha white boys like yourself.  Black people dont call skate boarding dead bcuz we dont skateboard like yall do... and letme not 4get im on dubcc, there's alotta balona on here

Chamillitary Click

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2009, 05:38:01 PM »
thats some crazy ass comment LMFAO! :laugh:

"Obama isnt that big in the hood." :o

Obama got like 90+% of the black vote for just one reason & it wasnt because they liked his policies lmao.

i think Infinite really summed it all up & was on point. ;)

but like i said, there are still rappers who put out amazing music that keep it so real, but have a sound of their own. 8)

i think another big thing is that rappers use to rap to get out of the hood & had real stories from the hood to spit about; i would say more than half of the rappers today arent even from the "hood" or a bad hood, like how it was & where the Pac's, Biggie's & Snoop's grew up, way back in the day.

BiggBoogaBiff

« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2009, 05:43:45 PM »

Obama got like 90+% of the black vote for just one reason & it wasnt because they liked his policies lmao.

but like i said, there are still rappers who put out amazing music that keep it so real, but have a sound of their own. 8)

i think another big thing is that rappers use to rap to get out of the hood & had real stories from the hood to spit about; i would say more than half of the rappers today arent even from the "hood" or a bad hood, like how it was & where the Pac's, Biggie's & Snoop's grew up, way back in the day.

its just as bad in this day.  just less blantant racist... the white folks r still scared lol.  but dont let Obama & MTV confuse the facts.... reality

and of course O got 100% he's black
« Last Edit: April 29, 2009, 05:46:43 PM by RadioTube!_301 »

Chamillitary Click

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2009, 05:50:26 PM »

its just as bad in this day.  just less blantant racist... the white folks r still scared lol.  but dont let Obama & MTV confuse the facts.... reality

where did i say that there arent still hoods that are bad? :stupid:

i said most rappers from today arent from those hoods, but from ones that arent as bad & just rap because they want to be a success & do it as an occupation, not because they have to, to get out.

D-Nice

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I Made Jesus Walks/So I Ain't Never Going To Hell
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2009, 06:03:42 PM »
Also alot of dope MC's that have new and innovative music and ideas, no one wants to listen to or buy their music. Sad to say but it is true.