Author Topic: What can Relapse tell us about the musical direction on Detox?  (Read 496 times)

Dre-Day

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • No justice, no peace
Re: What can Relapse tell us about the musical direction on Detox?
« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2009, 01:25:14 PM »
quik talked about a strong classical influence. i think the melodies will be different in that respect - no stoppin' carson and that young buck record give some samples of a more chilled, classical vibe. it'll be some kind of mix between his normal dark bangers and a more mellow, classical sound.

i just hope the 'bangers' retain some FUNK influence, like shit popped off.
i see.

well it just depends on whether Detox ever comes out & which of the billion versions you get

Matty

« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2009, 01:44:32 PM »
the real key wll be, as always, how the layers of rhythms interact with eachother and create the head nodding experience that dre is known for :0

all the dre beats that i rave about have a lot going on beneath the surface. how multiple rhythms are layered on top of eachother and are perfectly represented through the elements in the music. besides the mixing, the 'infectiousness' of the sound is as much a subconscious process. there is an interview where scott storch talks about the drums sets/quantization process and how dre is miles ahead of what most people are doing. this is also part of it.

he doesn't always get it right, but from my viewpoint, when dre really nails a beat, the technical reasons are generally the same.

Larrabee

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2009, 04:09:55 PM »
Pay close attention to the beat for "Bagpipes From Baghdad"...

Bagpipes From Baghdad sounds like some stage 4 G-Funk, it bumps. If I were to make a prediction, it would be that the Relapse beats are more "Detox" influenced than anything else. They have that dark, apocalyptic sound to them. Thing is usually with Dre-produced beats that Em raps on, they sound custom-made for Em ( which may be a good or bad thing depending... ) but the majority of the Relapse joints sound like 50, Game, Jay, Busta or Snoop can rock to them just as naturally.

Triple OG Rapsodie

« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2009, 01:51:16 PM »
I don't think it will tell us much besides that Dr. Dre can still produce. The Detox leaks have nothing in common with the Relapse instrumentals, both produced around the same time.

Matty

« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2009, 02:08:00 PM »
all of the detox leaks were produced by dj khalil though...except shit popped off...

Dre-Day

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • No justice, no peace
« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2009, 02:25:12 PM »
all of the detox leaks were produced by dj khalil though...except shit popped off...
which is just speculation to this day

R1ZE

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Do 4 Love
« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2009, 02:27:01 PM »
Dre always made Eminem different kind of beats from his usual stuff at the time... different instruments, different vibes. They're tailor made.