Author Topic: The Artists or the Fans?  (Read 1431 times)

.:DaYg0sTyLz:.

The Artists or the Fans?
« on: May 15, 2009, 01:26:00 PM »
Who is to blame for the bullshit music that gets put out today?  A lot of people keep pointing fingers at the artists (including myself at times). But are the artists really to blame? Or are they simply giving the people what they want?  I think the Hip Hop fanbase has changed so drastically, that we now have to hear what the majority of so called Hip Hop fans want...and thats watered down, booty-shake, bullshit Hip Hop that should be considered more Pop then anything. Whatta yall think?
"...and these niggas gettin tattoo tears...industry Bloods that show fear, when the authentics are near"

ThaRealSupreme

Re: The Artists or the Fans?
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2009, 02:02:17 PM »
The fans
I stand before God when I say that I'm not a facade_Supreme

RingMan

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • BWS Czech Capo
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2009, 02:03:31 PM »
tha majors

Rap is not real, I don't care what they told you,
Fake people say fake things in their vocalbooth
- Soul Position - Mic Control

I make it hard to read me, graffiti flow - Rakim - Word On The Streets

Jimmy H.

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2009, 02:07:52 PM »
tha majors
Nope. They are looking after their interests and their employees. They're catering to the paying customer.

you gon always be my latin queen bitch

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2009, 06:35:40 PM »
its the majors and the artists
for example
you have a underground rapper like tech n9ne who finally is gettin coast to coast support but hasnt appeared on mtv, bet, etc....every day but if he were signed to def jam he would, but in order to be signed and release a album you got to make that lil wayne type shit and he wont do that
so yeah its the artists for backin down
another example
g malone
he went to the south for help but if he wants to he can outrap everyone hes tryna get help from, why da fuck do you go to the south for help when your better than them?
cuz the label will only release his album if he has akon or tpain on his album
therefore its the artists and the majors

tha majors
Nope. They are looking after their interests and their employees. They're catering to the paying customer.
damn u still havent logged off...ur hurting everyone with all this wack shit u drop, it hurts more then getting the swine flu
Tue, Mar 16, 2010 at 8:15 AM By: Ice Cube
Me and Mack 10 together again? I never say never, but he has the kiss the ring first.
Cube
gbee:@ Petey: you sound like a broken record, time to grow up.

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2009, 07:36:42 PM »
its the majors and the artists
for example
you have a underground rapper like tech n9ne who finally is gettin coast to coast support but hasnt appeared on mtv, bet, etc....every day but if he were signed to def jam he would, but in order to be signed and release a album you got to make that lil wayne type shit and he wont do that
so yeah its the artists for backin down
another example
g malone
he went to the south for help but if he wants to he can outrap everyone hes tryna get help from, why da fuck do you go to the south for help when your better than them?
cuz the label will only release his album if he has akon or tpain on his album
therefore its the artists and the majors

tha majors

I use this analogy...

McDonalds makes food that is fast and easy, but very bad for us.  They dont make it because they like to make it, they make it because its what customers want from them. When people started to become more health conscious, they introduced salads to their menu.  Its a business so they provide what the customer asks for.  I think the same thing is happening with Rap music. 
"...and these niggas gettin tattoo tears...industry Bloods that show fear, when the authentics are near"

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2009, 07:40:14 PM »
good way of lookin at it but fact is if mtv co-sgined tech n9ne (decades ago or at anytime) imagine the fanbase he would reach out to and imagine what his sales would be?
aite it might not be 10's of millions but I think it would be more than what it is
but thats the grind, he started from scratch and hes not askin for anyones help and hes sellin less units but hes makin some of the greatest muzik there is offered
so some of the greatest muzik offered vs bow wow, yung joc, nelly (no competition)
damn u still havent logged off...ur hurting everyone with all this wack shit u drop, it hurts more then getting the swine flu
Me and Mack 10 together again? I never say never, but he has the kiss the ring first.
Cube

D-Nice

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I Made Jesus Walks/So I Ain't Never Going To Hell
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2009, 07:43:38 PM »
I think like alot of other things music is very trend based now. Labels will go with a "safe bet" dance song or album over something that might get critical acclaim but not as much commerical. Both the fans and the labels are at fault if you even want to say that. But like everything else, it goes in cycles.

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2009, 07:47:44 PM »
yeah the fans are at fault but to a certain degree
i dont blame nelly entirely, but its his muzik thats always on the radio
if they would (its too late now) but if they would have split the radio time wit
tech n9ne, krs one, nelly, nate dogg, mitchy slick, planet asia and more
instead of
nelly, bow wow, jay-z, jim jones, lil wayne and all that commercial wack shit it be dope
but fuck it, the underground rappers are gettin their shine on their own from their own grind without mtv, bet etc..
Cube

« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2009, 08:17:39 PM »
good way of lookin at it but fact is if mtv co-sgined tech n9ne (decades ago or at anytime) imagine the fanbase he would reach out to and imagine what his sales would be?
aite it might not be 10's of millions but I think it would be more than what it is
but thats the grind, he started from scratch and hes not askin for anyones help and hes sellin less units but hes makin some of the greatest muzik there is offered
so some of the greatest muzik offered vs bow wow, yung joc, nelly (no competition)

But MTV, IS like McDonalds in my analogy.  They provide a service to their customers. MTV customers dont wanna hear tech n9ne.  MTV viewers are 13 yr old girls.  I agree, obviously, tech n9ne > Bow wow, etc. But the reality is, "hip hop fans" nowadays are not what they used to be.  We (not the Hip Pop fans) are the minority now.  More bitches are listenin to hip hop, more little kids are, so we either get this Mickey Mouse bullshit....or bootyshake music all over the radio and tv. Again, another reason I never tune in to the TV or radio for music...

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2009, 08:23:34 PM »
AGAIN GOOD POINTS DAYGO
but if mickey d's were to sell say a new product (jollyranchers which to many are dope but not everyone knows of or about that type of candy)
so they start sellin jollyranchers and then the muffuccaz that aint never had them are startin to have them
and thats what im sayin about rappers like tech n9ne
if mtv would have given him a chance, the same type of fanbase that never heard of him, start hearin of him (that otherwise would never hear of him) and are feelin his muzik
FUCK THA INDUSTRY AT ALL COSTS
Cube

« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2009, 08:38:52 PM »
AGAIN GOOD POINTS DAYGO
but if mickey d's were to sell say a new product (jollyranchers which to many are dope but not everyone knows of or about that type of candy)
so they start sellin jollyranchers and then the muffuccaz that aint never had them are startin to have them
if mtv would have given him a chance, the same type of fanbase that never heard of him, start hearin of him (that otherwise would never hear of him) and are feelin his muzik

That would be cool and all. Believe me, i been sayin that the best rappers out there are the ones nobody ever heard of, yah know?  But from MTV's point of view, what would be their motivation for that?  They would assume all the risk. They would put an artist on there who MIGHT blow up, might not.  For them it makes more sense to put artists on who have already blown up. Unfortunately today, the artists who are blowing up are the bullshit artists. Cus we have too many bullshit fans.  Either way, theres a lot of fucked up shit. The industry is fucked, the fans are fucked....the artists, i cant even blame THEM so much. Theyre just making whatever music sells. I might hate it, and it might be ruining hip hop...but thats why i gotta search elseware for good music.

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2009, 08:43:53 PM »
yeah great points
thats why im thankful for rappers like krs one, tech n9ne, boot camp click, la coka nostra, planet asia who make hip-hop/rap but dont cater to them mtv fuck faces like t.i., wayne, tpain
thats why i enfore
FUCK THA INDUSTRY
and then them muffuccaz get on bet and rocsi says go cop their album, fuck nah
but then again shes jus as fake as mtv is

AGAIN GOOD POINTS DAYGO

That would be cool and all. Believe me, i been sayin that the best rappers out there are the ones nobody ever heard of, yah know?  But from MTV's point of view, what would be their motivation for that?  They would assume all the risk. They would put an artist on there who MIGHT blow up, might not.  For them it makes more sense to put artists on who have already blown up. Unfortunately today, the artists who are blowing up are the bullshit artists. Cus we have too many bullshit fans.  Either way, theres a lot of fucked up shit. The industry is fucked, the fans are fucked....the artists, i cant even blame THEM so much. Theyre just making whatever music sells. I might hate it, and it might be ruining hip hop...but thats why i gotta search elseware for good music.
Cube

Triple OG Rapsodie

« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2009, 09:01:24 PM »

But MTV, IS like McDonalds in my analogy.  They provide a service to their customers. MTV customers dont wanna hear tech n9ne.  MTV viewers are 13 yr old girls.  I agree, obviously, tech n9ne > Bow wow, etc. But the reality is, "hip hop fans" nowadays are not what they used to be.  We (not the Hip Pop fans) are the minority now.  More bitches are listenin to hip hop, more little kids are, so we either get this Mickey Mouse bullshit....or bootyshake music all over the radio and tv. Again, another reason I never tune in to the TV or radio for music...

I think its a combination of both, but enyce has a point. There are a bunch of independent artists who put out good music and move units without the help of radio or mtv (like tech n9ne) and they still don't get any notice from them. Majors only sign certain artists, and only major artists get attnetion.

I think part of the problem is the connection between the majors and mtv. The truth is, unless you are on a major, you won't get any airplay (except possibly in your local region) no matter how popular you are underground. It didn't used to be like that, except now clear channel owns all the radio stations and they do things a certain way. Back in the 90s there were a lot more independent radio stations. Now there are only a few companies that own everything, so everything that comes out on the air is a watered down product.

Honestly fuck mtv and fuck the majors. So we agree that there's a bunch of dope music from independent artists out there. Who gives a fuck if they are major or not? As long as they keep giving us music, and they sell enough to get by, that should be enough. Why does popularity matter so much to you guys?

J.D. Wykid, Esq.

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Id rather be rich n unhappy than poor n miserable
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2009, 09:06:46 PM »
i agree with daygo.  the fans want that ring tone shit.  thats why wayne, tpain, kanye, etc go multi-platinum, while tech sells 500K.  

i see where you coming from enyce, but MTV would have no incentive to promote an underground rapper.  the mtv audience doesnt care about  substance in the music, they just want that autotune in the club lets get drunk shit.  PLUS, not to mention all the payola MTV gets from labels to promote their artist on a heavy rotation.  

'Oh I can't see him, I can't see God', YA'LL CAN'T SEE FUCKIN' AIR NEITHER!
Quote from: QuietTruth
Prove to me the wind. Show me the wind man. I want proof of that shit. Cuz I don't see it.