Author Topic: Just Listened to Asher Roth "Asleep In The Bread Isle" For the First Time...  (Read 434 times)

Lunatic

Yeah.  I'm with you on this though. The laid-back sound is part of what I found appealing about it.  I've heard people say he sounds like Eminem.  I would say maybe a little bit
in vocal tone, but that's really where the similarity ends.  He doesn't rap about the same subject matter that Em does.  For that matter, he doesn't rap about a lot of the stuff
that most rappers do (except for maybe the drinking and smoking). 
Wow, you totally just stole my next post :P  I 100% agree. He sounds like Em, but that's were it stops. He's much more laid back, the content is totally different, the production he spits over is different, so really overall, his whole sound of music is different. Just the voice is similar. Oh and he's white :P
Co-Director of Site Content For Raptalk.Net
Staff Writer For WordOfSouth.Com
Staff Writer For Illuminati2G.Net
Staff Writer For SoPrupRadio.com

virtuoso

• Muthafuckin' Don!

I just found this album very dull, very underwhelming and the moments which stand out are few and far between. Furthermore his laid back rapping does not seem to marry very well to many of the beats and it's apparent the production was picked first and foremost. Blunt Cruisin just isn't a song, sounds more like a skit, 1/5 could have understood that, she don't wanna man is complete wack 1/5. To me this as an album which masquerades itself as being fresh but when you critically listen to it, it's playing extremely safe. I am not suggesting that this guy is completely untalented but to me it sounds very disjointed because of the voice and delivery not matching many of the beats. I also think that on the whole he is playing very safe with his rhyme patterns to, it's quite rigid, it's alright I guess but it falls so far short of the hype, that it will very quickly become known as a very expensive flop.

R1ZE

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Do 4 Love
Thought it was dope but I haven't played it much recently.

JohnnyL

I just found this album very dull, very underwhelming and the moments which stand out are few and far between. Furthermore his laid back rapping does not seem to marry very well to many of the beats and it's apparent the production was picked first and foremost. Blunt Cruisin just isn't a song, sounds more like a skit, 1/5 could have understood that, she don't wanna man is complete wack 1/5. To me this as an album which masquerades itself as being fresh but when you critically listen to it, it's playing extremely safe. I am not suggesting that this guy is completely untalented but to me it sounds very disjointed because of the voice and delivery not matching many of the beats. I also think that on the whole he is playing very safe with his rhyme patterns to, it's quite rigid, it's alright I guess but it falls so far short of the hype, that it will very quickly become known as a very expensive flop.

Okay.  I can agree with you at least on one point.  I do agree this album does seem to play it safe.  That's why I said earlier, that I hope on the next album he changes things up even more.  Because I feel like if the next album sounds too much like this one, the material will no longer seem as fresh as it did on here.  But I think for the dude's breakout album, this was a very solid effort.  Personally, I thought the beats matched his vocals nicely.  I can kind of see your point on him playing it safe with some of his rhyme patterns too.  He came out strong with his lyrics on "Lark On My Go-Kart."  But some of his rhyme schemes on other tracks weren't quite as intricate.  I don't recall hearing him spit anything I would consider wack though.  This album does play it safe, but I still found it much more engaging than most of the same warmed over crap subject matter that's been done to death, lately.  

thisoneguy360

I give him props for trying something different but I wasn't feelin it.

dubsmith_nz

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Judging by the review the album is all about good production, without that he would be as wick wick wack as Yayo.

Yeah not much mentioned bout the lyrics at all, I'll have to have a listen of this some time, I liked that "I Love College" track, shit was fresh seeing him just be himself

T-Dogg

• Muthafuckin' Don!
I could see why some of y'all were bored by it; for me it's mellow, laid-back, chillin' music and that could be boring to some. For me, I like this.

Yup. It's a record you can bump while just chillin' or driving around.

KURUPTION-81

Only listened to it the once so far, thought it started well but then faded.

"My greatest challenge is not what's happening at the moment, my greatest challenge was knocking Liverpool right off their fucking perch. And you can print that." Alex Ferguson

Action!

• Muthafuckin' Don!
He's no lyrical genius.  He's about average.  I would say he's on par with The Game.  Though I never thought I'd compare the two.  Roth really passionate with his deliver so it's all good.   It's not like Pac was the most lyrical.  Being ill doesn't mean being the most technical.  And, no, I'm not saying Asher is anywhere near Tupac's level.  This is only his first album.

He addresses his haters on As I Em.
Cool breeze; I'm hopping out of new Beams
My outfit ran me a few G's but none of that will matter if you leave
I used to be an Adam with two Eves and shawtys automatically do me
Excuse me, all that happened before you doesn't matter
I'm a vision of the future climbing the success ladder
Recline, in the mean time, twenty three shine, diamond bling blind as I rewind
- Banks

The Watcher

i think this album is pretty dope, its a breath of fresh air and something different for hiphop

kinda gives me the same feeling as kanye's college dropout
army of the pharaohs never make love songs
we finger fuck bitches with freddy krueger gloves on
- celph titled

"lol infact lmao" - Proof of D12

anticipate the shots like obama at the podium
- joe budden