Author Topic: Any of ya'll ready to retract your ridiculous "LeBron>Kobe" claims yet?  (Read 6588 times)

"THE" MoSav

Re: Any of ya'll ready to retract your ridiculous "LeBron>Kobe" claims yet?
« Reply #150 on: June 11, 2009, 09:23:11 AM »
For every 1 person in the world that doesn't know Michael Jackson there's probably 100 that don't know Kobe.

and then you say you're not pushin it? LOL

Huh? I don't get it. Are you agreeing with me or are you saying Kobe is just as big as Michael Jackson? Because if it's the latter then I might as well say Kobe is bigger than Jesus because that may be the only one you won't argue with. If you do indded think the name Kobe is as popular as Jesus then please tell me because knowing that would save me a lot of time never entering a discussion with you again.

Kobe is not as big as Michael Jackson, no doubt...but if you're tryna claim the Michael Jackson, in this day and age, is 100 times bigger, then that's just absurd.

Prime for prime I mean. Kobe is at his peak right about now. In 1983/84 MJ was at least 100 times bigger than Kobe is now.

yeah u cant compare a MUSICIAN "the King of pop" who EVERYONE KNEW to Kobe Bryant the NBA's best player. Everybody knows music and Michael Jackson Not everyone knows kobe, unfair comparison

The Best of 3 Worlds

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I never had a digital pic of myself before
« Reply #151 on: June 11, 2009, 03:57:49 PM »
For every 1 person in the world that doesn't know Michael Jackson there's probably 100 that don't know Kobe.

Huh? I don't get it. Are you agreeing with me or are you saying Kobe is just as big as Michael Jackson? Because if it's the latter then I might as well say Kobe is bigger than Jesus because that may be the only one you won't argue with. If you do indded think the name Kobe is as popular as Jesus then please tell me because knowing that would save me a lot of time never entering a discussion with you again.

Kobe is not as big as Michael Jackson, no doubt...but if you're tryna claim the Michael Jackson, in this day and age, is 100 times bigger, then that's just absurd.

Prime for prime I mean. Kobe is at his peak right about now. In 1983/84 MJ was at least 100 times bigger than Kobe is now.

alright...that sounds a lot more reasonable. LOL. but in all honesty, Kobe is as big a name as there is in American sports today, and that's with very little backing...PeACe

I can agree with that, but Sports in general is at a time when they're really aren't those big personailties and big names. In the late 80s and early 90s Jordan, Gretzky, and Bo Jackson were so big it warranted a cartoon about them as super heroes. You could never pitch a cartoon starring Kobe, Crosby, LaDanian or whoever to any network and expect a green light.

MoSav - I'm trying to say that Kobe isn't as big as Michael Jackson was therefore...

MJ was only brought up in an example to show that there are many people in the US that don't know who Kobe Bryant is. Who the fuck has never heard of Michael Jackson? Believe it or not there are people that haven't. So if there are people that have never heard of MJ then how many do you think have never heard of Kobe who isn't even in the same stratosphere?

Now_Im_Not_Banned

« Reply #152 on: June 12, 2009, 12:55:14 AM »

alright...that sounds a lot more reasonable. LOL. but in all honesty, Kobe is as big a name as there is in American sports today, and that's with very little backing...PeACe

I can agree with that, but Sports in general is at a time when they're really aren't those big personailties and big names. In the late 80s and early 90s Jordan, Gretzky, and Bo Jackson were so big it warranted a cartoon about them as super heroes. You could never pitch a cartoon starring Kobe, Crosby, LaDanian or whoever to any network and expect a green light.

MoSav - I'm trying to say that Kobe isn't as big as Michael Jackson was therefore...

MJ was only brought up in an example to show that there are many people in the US that don't know who Kobe Bryant is. Who the fuck has never heard of Michael Jackson? Believe it or not there are people that haven't. So if there are people that have never heard of MJ then how many do you think have never heard of Kobe who isn't even in the same stratosphere?

I get what you're saying, but I still dont think Jordan had anything Kobe doesn't...I say it's just the way he was marketed, the way a majority of the marketing was focused on him, largely due to the fact that he came in when marketing in sports was so raw...it has a lot to do with it, you must at least be able to admit that...PeACe

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #153 on: June 12, 2009, 07:42:27 AM »
Obviously I believe that if Jordan was marketed like Kobe is now he'd have not been as big as the Jordan of the late 80s and 90s.But the one thing we have to simply disagree on is if Kobe had the same push and was there instead of Jordan in the late 80s and 90s he would not have been as big as Jordan was.

Plenty of people get huge pushes by the media and plenty of people are the best in their sport or field, but only a few ever get the mega stardom that guys like Babe Ruth get. That's my point that you'll just have to not believe.

Now_Im_Not_Banned

« Reply #154 on: June 12, 2009, 04:29:49 PM »
Obviously I believe that if Jordan was marketed like Kobe is now he'd have not been as big as the Jordan of the late 80s and 90s.But the one thing we have to simply disagree on is if Kobe had the same push and was there instead of Jordan in the late 80s and 90s he would not have been as big as Jordan was.

Plenty of people get huge pushes by the media and plenty of people are the best in their sport or field, but only a few ever get the mega stardom that guys like Babe Ruth get. That's my point that you'll just have to not believe.

and the truth is that there's no way to really know...i still dont see the "charm" that separates Jordan from Kobe. to me, they're both similar dudes, with a similar game, and similar personalities...but theres no way to truly know what could have been.. it's all a matter of opinion...PeACe

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #155 on: June 12, 2009, 09:56:15 PM »

and the truth is that there's no way to really know...i still dont see the "charm" that separates Jordan from Kobe. to me, they're both similar dudes, with a similar game, and similar personalities...but theres no way to truly know what could have been.. it's all a matter of opinion...PeACe

Even something as silly as the name. The bald head and profile. The sticking out of the tongue. It all plays a factor. If Elvis Presley was Harold Presley he may have never been the King of Rock. Air Jordan just has the ring to it that Air Johnson or Air Wilkins just doesn't have. I know it sounds stupid but everything aligned for Jordan to be the mega star that he was.

Now_Im_Not_Banned

« Reply #156 on: June 12, 2009, 10:12:36 PM »

Even something as silly as the name. The bald head and profile. The sticking out of the tongue. It all plays a factor. If Elvis Presley was Harold Presley he may have never been the King of Rock. Air Jordan just has the ring to it that Air Johnson or Air Wilkins just doesn't have. I know it sounds stupid but everything aligned for Jordan to be the mega star that he was.

i know what you mean, but i dont see the bald head and profile making jordan, i see it more as jordan making the bald head and profile. i dont see the sticking out of the tongue a factor in his popularity, i see his popularity making the sticking out of the tongue a factor. you feel me?... if a shitty player tried sticking out his tongue on plays, he coulda just as easily been mocked...all that shit became a trademark due to his exciting style of play and the marketing behind it...thats just the way i see it. two different views.

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #157 on: June 12, 2009, 10:22:56 PM »

i know what you mean, but i dont see the bald head and profile making jordan, i see it more as jordan making the bald head and profile. i dont see the sticking out of the tongue a factor in his popularity, i see his popularity making the sticking out of the tongue a factor. you feel me?... if a shitty player tried sticking out his tongue on plays, he coulda just as easily been mocked...all that shit became a trademark due to his exciting style of play and the marketing behind it...thats just the way i see it. two different views.

I mean those factors added to it. A shitty player is a shitty player. The best is the best. Having everything else just added to it. Even the fact that he was sold as a handsome man in a suit. If he was ugly it wouldn't have worked the same. Ruth was sold a lovable Teddy Bear being the best and it worked for him. DiMaggio was sold a playboy and that worked for him. A full head of hair and no tongue wouldn't been ruined Jordan. It just helped make him even bigger by making him recognizable.

teecee

« Reply #158 on: June 13, 2009, 11:16:20 AM »
Beckham is, as I already said, WAY WAY more popular than Kobe or any other athlete PERIOD>

Kobe is BIG in China though, and that is a HUGE market obviously.  BUt he will never fuck with MJ for a variety of reasons  (image, marketing, SIX FINALS MVP's, MJ keeping his dirty laundry away from the press mostly, MJ's CONSISTENCY, Nike, etc)

Now_Im_Not_Banned

« Reply #159 on: June 13, 2009, 12:12:54 PM »

I mean those factors added to it. A shitty player is a shitty player. The best is the best. Having everything else just added to it. Even the fact that he was sold as a handsome man in a suit. If he was ugly it wouldn't have worked the same. Ruth was sold a lovable Teddy Bear being the best and it worked for him. DiMaggio was sold a playboy and that worked for him. A full head of hair and no tongue wouldn't been ruined Jordan. It just helped make him even bigger by making him recognizable.

but I think he coulda popularized an afro and showing of the teeth after every time he scores just as much had he been marketed the same with the same style of play...u feel what im gettin at?
« Last Edit: June 13, 2009, 12:29:44 PM by Now_I_Know »

Now_Im_Not_Banned

« Reply #160 on: June 13, 2009, 12:14:35 PM »
Beckham is, as I already said, WAY WAY more popular than Kobe or any other athlete PERIOD>

Kobe is BIG in China though, and that is a HUGE market obviously.  BUt he will never fuck with MJ for a variety of reasons  (image, marketing, SIX FINALS MVP's, MJ THE NBA keeping his dirty laundry away from the press mostly, MJ's CONSISTENCY, Nike, etc)

LOL

if only u knew how much the league sucked MJ's dick in order for him to gain that image.

teecee

« Reply #161 on: June 13, 2009, 12:24:42 PM »

Kobe is BIG in China though, and that is a HUGE market obviously.  BUt he will never fuck with MJ for a variety of reasons  (image, marketing, SIX FINALS MVP's, MJ THE NBA keeping his dirty laundry away from the press mostly, MJ's CONSISTENCY, Nike, etc)

LOL

if only u knew how much the league sucked MJ's dick in order for him to gain that image.

The league had everything tro gain of MJ kept hsi mainly wholesome image, so why wouldn't they protect him? 

The bigger question is why the fuck do you think you have all this inside information on the refs, the league, the media, etc?  Its comical, and getting redundant (look it up)

Now_Im_Not_Banned

« Reply #162 on: June 13, 2009, 12:29:22 PM »

LOL

The league had everything tro gain of MJ kept hsi mainly wholesome image, so why wouldn't they protect him? 

The bigger question is why the fuck do you think you have all this inside information on the refs, the league, the media, etc?  Its comical, and getting redundant (look it up)

who said it was inside info? it's just obvious that MJ was protected by the league in that day and age, unlike Kobe of today...as a matter of fact, i dont really know of any other player who was protected by his league as much as MJ was. how u fail to acknowledge the fact that this was a major factor in his popularity is mind-boggling.

teecee

« Reply #163 on: June 13, 2009, 12:33:21 PM »

LOL

who said it was inside info? it's just obvious that MJ was protected by the league in that day and age, unlike Kobe of today...as a matter of fact, i dont really know of any other player who was protected by his league as much as MJ was. how u fail to acknowledge the fact that this was a major factor in his popularity is mind-boggling.

Hey NIK, larn to read man.  I didn't not acknowledge it, I even agreed with you. 

I was commenting on you saying if "only you knew" about me, as if I couldn't figure it out, or that only you could know of this dveious plot by the league....

Now_Im_Not_Banned

« Reply #164 on: June 13, 2009, 12:34:53 PM »

LOL

Hey NIK, larn to read man.  I didn't not acknowledge it, I even agreed with you. 

I was commenting on you saying if "only you knew" about me, as if I couldn't figure it out, or that only you could know of this dveious plot by the league....

well...you obviously didnt list it in the reasons for why jordan was as popular as he was, did you? LOL