Author Topic: Charles Hamilton Gives The Late J Dilla Exec Producer Credits On Debut  (Read 408 times)

Elano

Interscope signee and XXL freshman alumnus Charles Hamilton has released details on his debut, This Perfect Life on his blog, surprisingly giving executive producer credit to late great Detroit producer, J Dilla.

Along with releasing the 11-song track listing, Hamilton revealed the samples used for each song. Among interpolations songs by Sade, Chicago and PJ Harvey, the Harlem MC heavily relied on inspiration from Dilla, known for his famed soulful production style.

“Shouts to Radar at SubCon who did the cover,” he wrote on his blog. “I’m in love with it (the album cover). I also wanna thank James Yancey for his guidance in putting this album together. Sound wise, I couldn’t be happier. Again, the album was mastered reel-to-reel/digital-to-digital, and I couldn’t have done the entire process without him being a total jerk about me getting that EXTRA vinyl-ish sound. Thanks Dilla.”

Sonic The Hamilton, who says he’s so excited about the album, also crowned himself the dopest rapper alive later on in the post.

“So LL is the GOAT (greatest of all time), Jay is the BRA (best rapper alive) and Em is the BROAT (best rapper of all time),” he said. “MC Lyte (after hearing her new music yesterday) is the Best Female MC of All Time, Jean Grae is the Best Female MC Alive. Damn. Looks like I’m the DRE (Dopest Rapper EVER)… I mean, I look at it like this. A lot of people can say they’re dope, and a lot of people can say I’m not dope. But all things considered, I’m claiming the title of DRE. Dr. Dre’s name spawns from his real name. Andre Young. I’m THE DRE… no lol either. I’m serious.”

Peep the album tracklist, with samples below

1. “Barbara Walters”

- “Geronimo” by The Shadows

2. “Three Pound Bullet”

- “Street Player” by Chicago

3. “Ghosts”

- “Tom’s Diner” by Susan Vega

4. “Post Lynching Ceremony”

- “Persuader’s Theme” by John Barry

5. “All Alone”

- NO SAMPLE

6. “Cable in the Classroom”

- “To the Other Man” by Luther Ingram (originally heard in “Gobstopper” on “Donuts”)

7. “Baby”

- “Super Sonic” by Zodiac

8. “Reminder”

- NO SAMPLE

9. “Tears of Fire”

- “I Come Undone” by Jennifer Rush

10. “Long Socks”

- “The Mess We’re In” by PJ Harvey

11. “Rosado”

- “Kiss of Life” by Sade

es-jay

• Muthafuckin' Don!
did J Dilla ever work with him?

No Compute

• Muthafuckin' Don!
^If Dilla didn't know the guy then it's clearly just a ploy to gain sales or whatever and is quite disrespectful.

“So LL is the GOAT (greatest of all time), Jay is the BRA (best rapper alive) and Em is the BROAT (best rapper of all time),” he said. “MC Lyte (after hearing her new music yesterday) is the Best Female MC of All Time, Jean Grae is the Best Female MC Alive. Damn. Looks like I’m the DRE (Dopest Rapper EVER)… I mean, I look at it like this. A lot of people can say they’re dope, and a lot of people can say I’m not dope. But all things considered, I’m claiming the title of DRE. Dr. Dre’s name spawns from his real name. Andre Young. I’m THE DRE… no lol either. I’m serious.”

What an idiot.

Action!

• Muthafuckin' Don!
I like some of his music but his antics are questionable.
Cool breeze; I'm hopping out of new Beams
My outfit ran me a few G's but none of that will matter if you leave
I used to be an Adam with two Eves and shawtys automatically do me
Excuse me, all that happened before you doesn't matter
I'm a vision of the future climbing the success ladder
Recline, in the mean time, twenty three shine, diamond bling blind as I rewind
- Banks

GangstaBoogy

I hate when people do that shit. Didn't Lil Kim list Biggie as an executive producer on all her albums?
"House shoes & coffee: I know the paper gone come"

Booz

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Ookkonää Oulusta, pelekääkkö nää polliisia?
Looks like I’m the DRE (Dopest Rapper EVER)
Hell yeahhh.  :laugh:

The-Leak (aka) kingwell (bka) JULES

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • ~TWITTER.COM/ITZJULES
^If Dilla didn't know the guy then it's clearly just a ploy to gain sales or whatever and is quite disrespectful.

Okay first of all, he is releasing the album for free..  He doesn't give a fuck about sales, he just wants his props for being a good artist.

Second of all, is that what you first thought of?  A marketing ploy..   I look at it as a big sign of respect and dedication to give such a tribute like that on your album....  Dilla has influenced his production style so much that he feels JD should be mentioned as an executive producer to his music...   Don't see nothing but love there..

OG Hack Wilson

guy sounds like a moron with the "dre" crap
Quote from: Now_I_Know on September 10, 2001, 04:19:36 PM
This guy aint no crip, and I'm 100% sure on that because he doesn't type like a crip, I know crips, and that fool is not a crip.

"I went from being homeless strung out on Dust to an 8 bedroom estate signed 2 1 of my fav rappers... Pump it up jokes can't hurt me."-- Mr. Joey Buddens

No Compute

• Muthafuckin' Don!

Okay first of all, he is releasing the album for free..  He doesn't give a fuck about sales, he just wants his props for being a good artist.

Second of all, is that what you first thought of?  A marketing ploy..   I look at it as a big sign of respect and dedication to give such a tribute like that on your album....  Dilla has influenced his production style so much that he feels JD should be mentioned as an executive producer to his music...   Don't see nothing but love there..

What's with all the full stops? One is enough.

My bad if he's releasing it for free but I still think naming Dilla executive producer is an arrogant thing to do.

« Last Edit: June 08, 2009, 04:34:27 PM by No Compute »

Moe

I hate when people do that shit. Didn't Lil Kim list Biggie as an executive producer on all her albums?
but wasnt she fucking biggie?

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • ~TWITTER.COM/ITZJULES
Ok, let's look at this from a fan standpoint:

You buy a CD, you're feeling it.  You check the credits to see who is involved with this project you like.  Oh, it's some nerdy engineer who has never released anything as an artist himself..  OR it's the same guy who's CD you already have.

Now imagine it says someone like J Dilla..  You might have heard of him, you might not, the fact is he's still a checkable name on the internet and in stores..  There is an immediate bridge from one peice of work to another, from respect and comradery..  You go on to explore Dilla's disco and become enlightened to more beautiful music.

I don't see how that is arrogant.  And I guarantee that was his intent with it, showing respect and putting other people on game.

Makaveli's Food & Liquor

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Ok, let's look at this from a fan standpoint:

You buy a CD, you're feeling it.  You check the credits to see who is involved with this project you like.  Oh, it's some nerdy engineer who has never released anything as an artist himself..  OR it's the same guy who's CD you already have.

Now imagine it says someone like J Dilla..  You might have heard of him, you might not, the fact is he's still a checkable name on the internet and in stores..  There is an immediate bridge from one peice of work to another, from respect and comradery..  You go on to explore Dilla's disco and become enlightened to more beautiful music.

I don't see how that is arrogant.  And I guarantee that was his intent with it, showing respect and putting other people on game.

i agree but alot of people have caught feelings over this and the way CH has handled this is retarded, he should of just explained it instead of pissing off/patronising Detroit on twitter

Elano

My bad if he's releasing it for free but I still think naming Dilla executive producer is an arrogant thing to do.
why arrogant ?

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • ~TWITTER.COM/ITZJULES
Charles Hamilton: Well, let me start it off like this. First of all, I have absolutely nothing but the utmost respect for Detroit Hip-Hop. And I’ll make no apologies because quite honestly my relationship with the Yanceys and the Holten family and their relationship with the Moore family and the Hamilton family really is nobody’s business number one. Number two, I’m the first mainstream artist to make any kind of effort to put any kind of money into the Yancey family pocket because I’m putting him as my executive producer that means when the album does go into stores – mind you this is the first album in Interscope and music business history to be distributed by a major label for absolutely free – and the fact remains that when it gets into stores there is money that will be going into his families pocket.

Charles Hamilton: He has a daughter, his mom is struggling right now, and his catalogue for a lack of better words has been raped by a whole lot of emcees that respect him but don’t necessarily put money into the pot. So what can I do as a mainstream artist that has a lot of respect for the family and the artist and for the legacy he left behind, put him as the executive producer. Now as far as what he did on some “Paul normal” s**t in the mastering process, yes, I can say that I got a chance to speak to Dilla. Now people can say that they’ve talked to Biggie and talked to ‘Pac so what is so criminal about me saying that I had advice on mastering my album from Dilla?

Charles Hamilton: Is it because I’m the new guy in the business or is because I’m not from Detroit. Either way, that’s ignorant and shouldn’t exist in Hip-Hop and no one really has heard most of the album to understand where I’m coming from with it. And then on top of that my favorite rapper, Eminem, is from Detroit so if I’m giving a Detroit producer who didn’t get a lot of mainstream love a little bit of time in the spotlight how am I milking his name for publicity? If anything a lot more people are hitting me up on Twitter saying “Yo, I was familiar with Dilla but I wasn’t familiar with his work. Thanks for putting his name out there.”

I rest my case.

Sir Petey

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • ♛ bitch I'm flawless ♛
damage controll

hamiltons a bitch for this and in the D and Michigan in general we aint fuckin with this guy.

hes not doing this for his fam and ma yancey confirmed she never heard of the guy, this is just a ploy to get respect in the hip hop circle from his peers after that chick knocked the rings out of his pink ass.