Author Topic: Warriors deal Crawford to Hawks for Law, Claxton  (Read 288 times)

'EclipZe

Warriors deal Crawford to Hawks for Law, Claxton
« on: June 24, 2009, 09:55:46 PM »

Aldridge: Warriors deal Crawford to Hawks for Law, Claxton

By David Aldridge, TNT analyst
Posted Jun 24 2009 6:16PM

The Golden State Warriors dealt with their troubled backcourt situation Wednesday by agreeing to deal guard Jamal Crawford to the Atlanta Hawks for guards Acie Law and Speedy Claxton, according to a league source.

The move solidifies the Hawks at a position where Atlanta had a potential problem this coming offseason, with incumbent Mike Bibby entering free agency.

The Hawks were leery about being able to re-sign Bibby this summer, expecting him to get an offer in excess of $7 million per year-more than they're willing to pay. Bringing in Crawford alleviates that potential problem.

Crawford can give the Hawks consistent backcourt offense, which will ease pressure on Joe Johnson.

The trade was first reported by ESPN.

Crawford, acquired from the Knicks last season in the Al Harrington deal, quickly fell out of favor with Warriors Coach Don Nelson. By the end of the season, Nelson demanded that Crawford exercise his out clause in his contract and become a free agent, or expect to be traded.

Crawford didn't mind being traded, as long as it was to a winning team.

Law, the 12th pick overall in 2007, never broke into Mike Woodson's rotation in two seasons in Atlanta.

The Warriors are expected to waive Claxton, who has been slowed by injuries in recent years.

OchoCinco

Re: Warriors deal Crawford to Hawks for Law, Claxton
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2009, 10:18:59 PM »
Big move for Atl, i really like Crawford, the dude can ball thats for sure.

Tay

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Bay Area Representative
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2009, 10:48:13 PM »
This is a mistake for Atlanta if it goes through and he replaces Bibby. Crawford is a shoot-first guy at PG who doesn't shoot consistently well, he will just take away shots from Johnson, Smith, and even Flip Murray off the bench. He doesn't do a good job at distributing the ball either. I don't think Acie Law will do much or get any playing time with Nelson, but this deal is good because it clears money for the Warriors and gives more opportunities to the younger players.
I got a bird's eye view

tempo2

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2009, 02:53:18 AM »
imo as good as crawford is his probabley the least player the hawks need right now. they need a legit centre to hold down the middle and move horford to the 4 and smith to the 3. there bench outside of murray is appauling too.

Lunatic

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2009, 08:38:49 AM »
With Bibby leaving, I am happy with this 8)  Too much pressure is put on JJ to score, and he is always facing double teams. Having Crawford there should ease the pressure.
Co-Director of Site Content For Raptalk.Net
Staff Writer For WordOfSouth.Com
Staff Writer For Illuminati2G.Net
Staff Writer For SoPrupRadio.com

Now_Im_Not_Banned

« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2009, 08:57:09 AM »
yea...if Bibby is leaving, this is good. Joe Johnson and Jamal Crawford are both combo guards, so they can switch off one another. Thought Golden State would be able to get more than Acie Law for him, though. ???

S P I C E

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • LOOK WHO'S BACK
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2009, 10:59:15 AM »
I don't like this trade much for the Warriors

DIP DIP SET SET

Lunatic

« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2009, 11:13:05 AM »
yea...if Bibby is leaving, this is good. Joe Johnson and Jamal Crawford are both combo guards, so they can switch off one another. Thought Golden State would be able to get more than Acie Law for him, though. ???
Bibby is def. leaving and the Hawks must know it to have made this move. Ya WOW at GSW getting only Law :o  Law is one of my favorite players of that draft class coming out so I was so happy when ATL picked him up; wow he disappointed :-\

On another note, I'm not very worried about Crawford replacing Bibby and not being a pure passer. Johnson is an exceptional passer and ball handler, so he can handle the dishing alongside Crawford.

I love this trade.
Co-Director of Site Content For Raptalk.Net
Staff Writer For WordOfSouth.Com
Staff Writer For Illuminati2G.Net
Staff Writer For SoPrupRadio.com

the.SET

• 'G'
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2009, 09:46:54 PM »
We needed another good scorer. I think this is a good trade for us seeing as we didn't really give up anything, although I was a big Law fan myself. I do agree we need a solid center so we can move everyone into their premier positions and bring Williams off the bench.

Oh and where is Bibby going? We not resigning him?
avidSOUND.com: Where Aspiring Musicians Can Be HEARD!

Don Jacob

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • don status, bitch
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2009, 10:29:16 PM »
wow the warriors STAY losing.

R.I.P.  To my Queen and Princess 07-05-09