Author Topic: Tha Realest new album only sold 172 copies first week?  (Read 1468 times)

EFFeX

Re: Tha Realest new album only sold 172 copies first week?
« Reply #45 on: July 25, 2009, 05:57:23 PM »
At least the album is out though, he broke the "First Album Curse", now he can use this project to push his music.

you gon always be my latin queen bitch

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #46 on: July 25, 2009, 06:00:36 PM »
yeah but when you move or dont move numbers like this i mean isnt it better to not have dropped a album no matter how long the wait, this is really sad
hes been featured on many albums

At least the album is out though, he broke the "First Album Curse", now he can use this project to push his music.
damn u still havent logged off...ur hurting everyone with all this wack shit u drop, it hurts more then getting the swine flu
Tue, Mar 16, 2010 at 8:15 AM By: Ice Cube
Me and Mack 10 together again? I never say never, but he has the kiss the ring first.
Cube
gbee:@ Petey: you sound like a broken record, time to grow up.

D-Nice

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I Made Jesus Walks/So I Ain't Never Going To Hell
« Reply #47 on: July 25, 2009, 06:00:48 PM »

Yeah there are alot of rappers that are hyped right now that have NO albums out.

outlaw77

• Lil Geezy
« Reply #48 on: July 25, 2009, 06:08:35 PM »
to blasphemy :

no my friend im not saying you're wrong or right , all im saying is that we've heard that knock on tha realest OVER AND OVER AND OVER AND OVER AND OVER AND OVER AGAIN . we heard it then and we hear it now , NOW with that being said do we ever move on to THE MUSIC ? the album is DOPE , as fans of dope WESTCOAST music shouldnt that be the story for us at this point . lets let the needless hating go , the west needs all the love it can get and this album IS LOVELY .

D-Nice

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #49 on: July 25, 2009, 06:13:11 PM »
yeah but when you move or dont move numbers like this i mean isnt it better to not have dropped a album no matter how long the wait, this is really sad
hes been featured on many albums

In Tha Realest defense, alot of these songs are mad dated, so from that standpoint, if he feels they are still popping, put them out on a album and get it out there? I am sure if Crooked I could get his hands on his old Death Row album and find a distributor, he would drop it too along with many other rappers. Now that he has this one out the way, it will be interesting to see how long before he drops some fresh, new material.

Jaydc555

« Reply #50 on: July 25, 2009, 06:29:47 PM »
Crooked is releasing his death row albums through wideawake the company that bought death row

D-Nice

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #51 on: July 25, 2009, 06:31:57 PM »
Crooked is releasing his death row albums through wideawake the company that bought death row

Oh ok that is good to hear. Did not know if he was able to get his masters back or not.

Jaydc555

« Reply #52 on: July 25, 2009, 06:34:07 PM »
Well he didn't get them back but their going to work with him to release the album

Enigma

• Muthafuckin' Double OG
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #53 on: July 25, 2009, 08:05:21 PM »
Appreciative of the positive feedback on this project.

I've got some rebuttals to people: this album was promoted on the internet. It was featured on over 100 websites, it just may have not been on every site. But if you want, I can pull up plenty and plenty of sites that picked up the story of his album release. Granted a lot of these websites were small sites, but even big sites like HipHopDX, WorldWideConnected, DJ Clue's site, and others picked up on the story of the release, and had "Get It N" featured on their sites.

The answer is: this is a small independent label that leaves the funding up to the artist. Thousands of dollars were poured into this project over the years, and with different situations in the past that he had it coulda blown up more. He even had a $250,000 video filmed for this in 2007.

But due to bad luck, terrible circumstances, he was left with an album recorded, guest and producer fees to pay all on his own. He couldn't just sit on the project, it had to come out. Therefore, promotion budget was very minimal, and the promotion we did get was all out of love.

I can confirm Realest did numerous interviews over the weekend, so you should be seeing some more shit over the next few days.

And if you haven't, go pick up the album, I promise it's got somethin everyone will like.

mrkmaidog

« Reply #54 on: July 25, 2009, 09:05:38 PM »
i do remember some big name sites such as hiphopdx had the press release info fo this album a month ago... what would also help out is to get some of these songs on hiphopdx or allhiphop's audio sections so fans n haters can hear it and judge it. songs with fat joe(yes him..) and especially crooked i should be in those audio sections to help get attention since they have big names... and this thing about the "mysterious producer" who produced "y i keep my burna on me" that type of controversey would get more ppll curious to check the album out...... and myb buy or dl the album.... this album shouldnt be slept on and should sell wayyy more than that..... and yes, i was a big realest hater back in the days also, but i moved on and learn to accept good music these days...

love33

« Reply #55 on: July 25, 2009, 09:06:02 PM »
I'm a big fan of Tha Realest and I will be picking up the album next week to support him (if I can't find it at Best Buy, I'll get it from amazon).  Had this come out on Death Row in 2000, I think it would have done 400,000 maybe even gold over time.  But I just want to say to all the people who are laughing at him we're really just laughing at ourselves, our music, and our movement.  Even though Tha Realest has the "pac biter" attached to his persona, I really feel that these sales numbers show that Westcoast rap may be on life support.  If I was WideAwake and I just bought that Death Row catalog for over $20 mill, I would be scared right now.  The numbers may not be this low, but they could be in the same ballpark if they are planning on releasing old Crooked I, Dogg Pound, and even remakes of Dre and Snoop who possibly lost their appeal due to low recognition and an aging fanbase.  The real A&R's watch everything on the Hip Hop market, and this is a bad temperature for westcoast rap and gangsta rap in general.  Couple these numbers with artists who are legends like Quik and Kurupt putting up around 12,000 (this is not far from Realest's numbers with way more established artists and better promotion).  This is why Detox keeps getting pushed back.  Our whole movement could be nearly dead and the only response people are giving is laughing at a person who put his heart into his effort and flopped.

mrkmaidog

« Reply #56 on: July 25, 2009, 09:14:47 PM »
^^^trill talk homie... this is the best 15 bucks i've spent on a cd so far this summer. i might buy a couple more and hand it out to friends for the helluvit.... comons team dime/realest etc... u gotta step ur internet promo game up. im sure yall could've sold more like around 4-8k first week with decent internet promos....interviews...music audio....youtube videos... keep it low budget and use this indie game to your advantage in this internet age.... if it werent for the forums on dubcnn i wouldve never known this album wouldve dropped....

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #57 on: July 25, 2009, 09:16:34 PM »
but how are "we" to blame jus cuz we speakin on the issue at hand?
or why should we be mad or scared, or worried etc...
him not doin good numbers is jus as much as a problem as wayne puttin out too much wack muzik
its the rap game as a whole, and btw mack 10 co-signs what wayne is doin
its muzik as a whole, and not everyone is sayin what realest released was wack
« Last Edit: July 25, 2009, 09:42:50 PM by GET YOUR WALK ON »
damn u still havent logged off...ur hurting everyone with all this wack shit u drop, it hurts more then getting the swine flu
Me and Mack 10 together again? I never say never, but he has the kiss the ring first.
Cube

love33

« Reply #58 on: July 25, 2009, 11:17:02 PM »
him not doin good numbers is jus as much as a problem as wayne puttin out too much wack muzik

It's closing doors for the West Coast.  When record company executives see our artists putting up numbers like that they will be scared to take a chance on any up-and-coming artist.  The fact that the content was legit even makes it a a worse situation because we can't dismiss it as wack music.  Now, look to Quik & Kurupt putting up 12k.  Even these OGs who are house names can't put up numbers anymore.  Snoop's last album was his worse in sales.  The numbers are drying up by the month and I think now it's fair to say we've crossed the point where it doesn't matter how much you put behind your video, your promotion, etc., it's difficult for any artist repping West Coast rap to go gold which in turn means record companies would rather take a chance on a non-westcoast act to put up higher numbers.  This means that it's going to get even more difficult for a Jay Rock, Nipsy Hustle, Bishop Lamont, Eastwood, Mykestro, etc. to get a legit look  If you were an executive,would you take a chance on Westcoast act if  guys like Quik & Kurupt were puttin up numbers like 12k and acts like Roscoe and Tha Realest flop?? And if you just bought that Death Row catalog, would you be alittle scared after seeing those numbers and thinking about dropping old Death Row material (which a lot has been leaked to the net btw)?  If our artists can't get albums out in the future have we lost our voice and our ability to express our viewpoints and knowledge through our music on what we know as West Coast Rap?

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #59 on: July 25, 2009, 11:27:02 PM »
i mean i feel what your sayin but it also doesnt make sense in a way that the numbers he did or they did isnt exactly bad alltogether
aite kurupt and dj quik did bad number
aite snoop did bad numbers
aite tha realest bad numbers
aite these artists did low numbers so did other artists wit dope albums, does that mean their wack not exactly
the kurupt cd some thought was wack
IMO if that album was better it would have moved triple if not more
snoop the same, snoop isnt makin bangin muzik anymore

tha realest is a exception, IMO he has jus been struck wit the issue of soundin like someone else who was better than him and by the looks of it, wont sell or move units
the units that hes moved previously....well he was on yuks album so due to him bein on yuks album he sold in-a sense thanx to yuk and that was when yuk was sellin, but the game has changed
tha realest isnt a commercial artist no matter who or which commercial rapper he gets on his album
thats why some werent feelin him gettin wack ray j on there, but then at the same time some werent feelin him at all

It's closing doors for the West Coast.  When record company executives see our artists putting up numbers like that they will be scared to take a chance on any up-and-coming artist.  The fact that the content was legit even makes it a a worse situation because we can't dismiss it as wack music.  Now, look to Quik & Kurupt putting up 12k.  Even these OGs who are house names can't put up numbers anymore.  Snoop's last album was his worse in sales.  The numbers are drying up by the month and I think now it's fair to say we've crossed the point where it doesn't matter how much you put behind your video, your promotion, etc., it's difficult for any artist repping West Coast rap to go gold which in turn means record companies would rather take a chance on a non-westcoast act to put up higher numbers.  This means that it's going to get even more difficult for a Jay Rock, Nipsy Hustle, Bishop Lamont, Eastwood, Mykestro, etc. to get a legit look  If you were an executive,would you take a chance on Westcoast act if  guys like Quik & Kurupt were puttin up numbers like 12k and acts like Roscoe and Tha Realest flop?? And if you just bought that Death Row catalog, would you be alittle scared after seeing those numbers and thinking about dropping old Death Row material (which a lot has been leaked to the net btw)?  If our artists can't get albums out in the future have we lost our voice and our ability to express our viewpoints and knowledge through our music on what we know as West Coast Rap?
Cube