Author Topic: Phillies Have Unassisted Triple Play to End the Game  (Read 165 times)

Mo Z. Dizzle

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Mo Z. Dizzle, the CEO of WCC Wrestling League
Phillies Have Unassisted Triple Play to End the Game
« on: August 23, 2009, 03:05:28 PM »
Unassisted triple play ends Phils’ win over Mets

NEW YORK (AP)—Second baseman Eric Bruntlett(notes) turned an unassisted triple play to end the Philadelphia Phillies’ wild 9-7 victory over the New York Mets on Sunday.

It was the 15th unassisted triple play in major league history—the second that ended a game. Detroit Tigers first baseman Johnny Neun also accomplished the feat on May 31, 1927, completing a 1-0 victory over Cleveland, according to STATS LLC.
Series at a Glance
Bruntlett’s triple play preserved a win for Pedro Martinez(notes) in his return to New York and quashed a Mets rally against closer Brad Lidge(notes).

With runners on first and second in the ninth inning, Jeff Francoeur(notes) hit a line drive up the middle that appeared headed toward center field for a single. But both runners were stealing on the pitch, so Bruntlett was in perfect position as he moved over to cover second base.

He caught the liner easily, stepped on second to double up Luis Castillo(notes) and then turned to tag Daniel Murphy(notes) for the third out. Murphy tried to backpedal away from Bruntlett, but had nowhere to go.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2009, 03:15:18 PM by Mo Z. Dizzle »

The WCCWL is always looking for new members; take a chance at becoming a champ!! PM Mo Z. Dizzle if interested!!

Chamillitary Click

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The greatest entertainer ever.
Re: Phillies Have Unasisted Triple Play to End the Game
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2009, 03:06:34 PM »
those Muts got some luck! :laugh:

sick play though! :o

Chamillitary Click

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Re: Phillies Have Unasisted Triple Play to End the Game
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2009, 03:11:03 PM »
this the seventh one in history if i'm not mistaken, correct?

they were debating it the other day, what is more impressive?

going 6-6 or having an unassisted triple play?

i'd personally take the 6-6 night anyday. 8)

Mo Z. Dizzle

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Re: Phillies Have Unassisted Triple Play to End the Game
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2009, 03:16:00 PM »
the article said it was the 15th one, and only the 2nd one that ended a game.
The first was in 1927 lol.

The WCCWL is always looking for new members; take a chance at becoming a champ!! PM Mo Z. Dizzle if interested!!

Chamillitary Click

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2009, 03:19:34 PM »
the article said it was the 15th one, and only the 2nd one that ended a game.
The first was in 1927 lol.

so what has only been done six times?

i could of sworn they were talking about Troy Tulowitski's the other day & said that.

probably not though. :P

Mo Z. Dizzle

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2009, 03:26:15 PM »
hmm, not sure.
all I found was him hitting for the cycle, going 5-for-5 and getting 7 RBIS; and he completed the cycle by the 7th inning.

OG Hack Wilson

« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2009, 03:54:53 PM »
what a joke
Quote from: Now_I_Know on September 10, 2001, 04:19:36 PM
This guy aint no crip, and I'm 100% sure on that because he doesn't type like a crip, I know crips, and that fool is not a crip.

"I went from being homeless strung out on Dust to an 8 bedroom estate signed 2 1 of my fav rappers... Pump it up jokes can't hurt me."-- Mr. Joey Buddens

white Boy

• The totally random poster
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • http://bigbowlofsoup.tumblr.com/
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2009, 05:37:43 PM »
i wouldnt say its that impressive, a lot of luck involved, i mean, its bruntlet, hes the worse phillie by far, as opposed to other feats thaty involve a LOT of skill

Chamillitary Click

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2009, 07:56:17 PM »
i wouldnt say its that impressive, a lot of luck involved, i mean, its bruntlet, hes the worse phillie by far, as opposed to other feats thaty involve a LOT of skill

true, but any major leaguer on any given night can go 6-6 if they're lucky enough to get 6 ABs.

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I never had a digital pic of myself before
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2009, 10:02:26 PM »

I don't care how much is just dumb luck. It's the kind of thing you can tell your grand kids about.

Now the ultimate triple play would be bottom of the 9th, World series, game 7, bases loaded, up by one run. Hitter lines it high just left of the second base and it's set to hit the gap, but the short-stop leaps for it, catches, lands on second base for the tag up then in stride runs down the man coming from first to second; single handedly winning the world series.

I would take take feat over pitching two perfect games in the world series. Because that single play would make the top of every greatest plays ever list for all time.

white Boy

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2009, 05:03:17 PM »

I don't care how much is just dumb luck. It's the kind of thing you can tell your grand kids about.

Now the ultimate triple play would be bottom of the 9th, World series, game 7, bases loaded, up by one run. Hitter lines it high just left of the second base and it's set to hit the gap, but the short-stop leaps for it, catches, lands on second base for the tag up then in stride runs down the man coming from first to second; single handedly winning the world series.

I would take take feat over pitching two perfect games in the world series. Because that single play would make the top of every greatest plays ever list for all time.
well considering the sad career of eric bruntlet its not like he has much else to tell his grandkids

OG Hack Wilson

« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2009, 05:36:14 PM »

unassisted triple plays to end a game have only happened twice....1927 and 2009
Quote from: Now_I_Know on September 10, 2001, 04:19:36 PM
This guy aint no crip, and I'm 100% sure on that because he doesn't type like a crip, I know crips, and that fool is not a crip.

"I went from being homeless strung out on Dust to an 8 bedroom estate signed 2 1 of my fav rappers... Pump it up jokes can't hurt me."-- Mr. Joey Buddens

white Boy

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2009, 06:22:23 PM »

its amazing, its rare, it deserves attention,.. but dude sucks, hes the luckiest man ever, he was just in the right place right time, the entire planetary system aligned in that split second and for some reason it all worked out, he had nothing to do with that play whatsoever.

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I never had a digital pic of myself before
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2009, 07:01:59 PM »

its amazing, its rare, it deserves attention,.. but dude sucks, hes the luckiest man ever, he was just in the right place right time, the entire planetary system aligned in that split second and for some reason it all worked out, he had nothing to do with that play whatsoever.

That's what makes it so awesome. It was such a routine play that would have been made by any mediocre 2nd basemen, but thanks to dumb luck, and dumber base running, this guy has his "4 touchdowns in one" game story forever. I want to be in a room one day when he's 90 in an old folks home talking to a bunch of kids brought there by their coach and him exagerating it any way he can but because of the fact that he is the only man in almost 100 years to end a game with a triple play all that listen will marvel in awe.