Author Topic: Building my first computer, need help  (Read 173 times)

Twentytwofifty

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Building my first computer, need help
« on: August 11, 2009, 02:38:00 PM »
I thought it might be cheaper to build my own because there are a few things you get with a normal computer that I don't need.
I never listen to CDs or play DVDs, everything I have is digital so I don't need a disc drive.  I can get a bootleg version of Windows 7 so I don't need an OS.  And I plan on hooking it up to my LCD television so I don't need a monitor.
It will be used to play media mostly and stream sports off the internet.  Won't be doing any gaming.   

So do I only need a case, processor, motherboard, RAM and video card?  Anything else?
I was looking at this case: http://www.nmediapc.com/htpc2000.htm#3
What do you think about that case?  I want something that is more flat so I can just put it on my stand below my television.

It's my first time doing this and I don't know too much.  Any other ideas?

ikke

Re: Building my first computer, need help
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2009, 02:41:38 PM »
You're forgetting fan's, your comp can't overheat.

Suga Foot

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2009, 02:45:16 PM »
Power supply (if the case doesn't come with one).
Sound card (if the motherboard doesn't have one, and if it does it'll probably be shitty).

Twentytwofifty

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2009, 03:59:55 PM »
It looks like that case doesn't come with power supply.

I'm looking at this motherboard: http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=4803001&CatId=1572

Is there a need for a soundcard with that motherboard?  I planned on running everything through one HDMI cable.  I assume that's the best/easiest way.   

the ghost

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2009, 04:27:15 PM »
New egg . com   They will hook you up.

Chamillitary Click

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The greatest entertainer ever.
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2009, 04:28:47 PM »
just cop one lol.

J2K

« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2009, 05:57:20 PM »
Network Interface Card (The card with an ethernet port, If your usin wired internet).

Jome

« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2009, 06:26:08 PM »
Network Interface Card (The card with an ethernet port, If your usin wired internet).

Not necessary, his motherboard comes with a LAN-output.

As for soundcard, I don't think it's necessary, the motherboard handles sound good enough for 98% of consumers.. only sound freaks will demand an external sound card.

I would like to recommend getting a decent SSD instead of harddrive, it's quicker and programs load instantly.. a bit costy in comparison, but SSD isn't meant for storage.

Twentytwofifty

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2009, 07:09:07 PM »

As for soundcard, I don't think it's necessary, the motherboard handles sound good enough for 98% of consumers.. only sound freaks will demand an external sound card.

I would like to recommend getting a decent SSD instead of harddrive, it's quicker and programs load instantly.. a bit costy in comparison, but SSD isn't meant for storage

but for this I'm going to have hardly any programs on it.  I'm going to use as a media player, streaming live TV and some internet browsing.  I'll need the hard drive space for storing movies, tv shows and music. 

Jome

« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2009, 07:13:43 PM »
Ok, SSD would be redundant then..

Matty

« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2009, 06:32:39 PM »
if you game then a SSD is the shit. feeling kinda retro on my mechanical drive these days :'(

jome is right on the sound card, on-board devices are much improved these days and only people with specific requirements would really need anything better.

on-board graphics is fine too, but only if you literally wanna run absolutely no modern games. will suffice for high definition playback too, cpu takes all the strain.

for a home user then any dual core processor and 4gb of ram is ample and plenty cheap these days. i would argue for the best quality motherboard and power supply because of long term reliability and all round stability, but the price for those parts would kinda add a lot to most standard builds. if you dont wanna upgrade or spend too much then just get the best value parts without being too cheap.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2009, 06:40:42 PM by Matty »

Matty

« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2009, 06:39:21 PM »
http://www.nmediapc.com/htpc2000.htm#3

that media style case looks pretty damn nice.

i used one of these to build a pc for my parents earlier this year:

http://eu.shuttle.com/en/desktopdefault.aspx/searchcall-12/searchcategory-248/noblendout-1/tabid-72/170_read-14399/

a barebones system makes building it a very simple process indeed. only gotta plug a few things in and attach the cpu and good to go!

QuietTruth

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Shoot 'em up bang bang, nigga die slow
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2009, 06:42:25 PM »
Did you just say you gon build your own computer? Hahaha, damn. 8)

J2K

« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2009, 01:17:59 AM »

I would like to recommend getting a decent SSD instead of harddrive, it's quicker and programs load instantly.. a bit costy in comparison, but SSD isn't meant for storage.

My bad , didnt check the link/pics  8)