Author Topic: Why westcoast artist don't have an album out when they have buzz  (Read 798 times)

Si-Chiggedy

Re: Why westcoast artist don't have an album out when they have buzz
« Reply #30 on: September 29, 2009, 06:35:41 PM »
E-40 has a better appeal nationwide than Snoop currently does.  There really isn't anything going for the West.  Artists that have the best chance to appeal if they work with the

E-40 doesn't have any appeal, Warner Bros. fucked it up with that "Ball Street Journal" shit which has been promoted unproperly and with the wrong singles. They tired to force E-40 to have the "right" features, but they failed. "Break Ya Ankles" could have been big with Lil Wayne or maybe even Lil Jon on it. I am happy "Got Rich Twice" was the second single which had a video but this has been a fail move also, because such a track won't get any love outside the yay. They should have pushed that "Turf Drop" track in a bigger way, that track had potential. As for right now, E-40 did the best thing he could do and left Warner Bros. for his new album.

To that comparison with Snoop, I don't agree with that. Snoop is and always has been a big household name who still has his own shows on TV etc. Snoop is everywhere, if you like it or not. His last album didn't do that good because he picked singles that he felt he should pick. He wasn't appealing to the masses at all with that "My Medicine" track or "Neva Have 2 Worry" as well... but he wanted to drop them, that's Snoop. The only exception was "Sexual Eruption" aka "Sensual Seduction" and this was a top 10 hit and even got radioplay in europe. So you can't say Snoop hasn't as much appeal as E-40. Plus, Snoop was featured on so many big albums throughout the last years, people won't forget him.
Check out my blog "Love For The West" http://sichill-music.blogspot.com/

And hit me on twitter: http://twitter.com/Si_Chill

love33

« Reply #31 on: September 30, 2009, 10:58:17 AM »
To that comparison with Snoop, I don't agree with that. Snoop is and always has been a big household name who still has his own shows on TV etc. Snoop is everywhere, if you like it or not. His last album didn't do that good because he picked singles that he felt he should pick. He wasn't appealing to the masses at all with that "My Medicine" track or "Neva Have 2 Worry" as well... but he wanted to drop them, that's Snoop. The only exception was "Sexual Eruption" aka "Sensual Seduction" and this was a top 10 hit and even got radioplay in europe. So you can't say Snoop hasn't as much appeal as E-40. Plus, Snoop was featured on so many big albums throughout the last years, people won't forget him.

I would have to respectfully disagree with you because people in the South aren't looking for Snoop Dogg, nor do they care about his records.  That's part of the reason the record sales hit rock bottom on his last release -- no appeal in the South.  The South is the majority of the country now population-wise, so you have to appeal your records to that demographic if you want to have a chance (also coupled with the fact that LA fans don't support LA artists by purchasing the records).  E-40's "Tell Me When To Go" is a track you still hear in the clubs down in Miami.  They aren't playing any Snoop Dogg tracks on there unless it's old like his Death Row tracks.

People in the South want to hear Gucci Mane, Young Jeezy, Ludacris, Bow Wow, Three Six Mafia, Yung L.A., Young Dro, Lil Wayne, T.I., Mack Mane, anything Cash Money, Rick Ross is huge in Florida, Fat Joe is eastcoast but he has a huge appeal in Miami cause he lives there and collabs with all those artists, Two Pistolz, Plies, and T-Pain is huge in the South.  Florida has its own rap movement now, add on all the classic artists in Texas like your Paul Walls and Mike Jones and Scarfaces, and all the artists in Louisiana and Georgia and you have your answer why nobody is waiting or looking for West Coast Rap anymore.  this is also the reason Dre is afraid to drop "Detox" because he doesn't know if he can compete with the Dirty South.  It's kind of like the SEC Football, they run shit.  That's why you see Snoop trying to collab with Gucci Mane and all these other cats cause he knows his record branches out more when he collabs with them then Nipsy Hustle, Jay Rock, or Damani.  People in the South want the hard bass, the finger snappin, raw slow flow.  And if you ain't got that, they don't wanna hear no old G-Funk All Nightaz/Warren G long beach shit.

This is why Soulja Boy can outsell Snoop and Ice Cube.  Our classic artists have dried up and nobody except The Game has risen to the top in the new breed.  And The Game stays relevant by collabing with everyone to reach out to different fan bases.  The Westcoast rap scene hasn't been the same since the Up In Smoke Tour in 2000.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2009, 11:02:40 AM by love33 »

D1G1T4L

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Digital Productions
« Reply #32 on: September 30, 2009, 11:31:25 AM »
thats not a buzz... most of people outside the forum don't even know those songs........ Buzz is when your song being played everywhere and people actually know who you are

Triple OG Rapsodie

« Reply #33 on: September 30, 2009, 04:12:53 PM »

I would have to respectfully disagree with you because people in the South aren't looking for Snoop Dogg, nor do they care about his records.  That's part of the reason the record sales hit rock bottom on his last release -- no appeal in the South.  The South is the majority of the country now population-wise, so you have to appeal your records to that demographic if you want to have a chance (also coupled with the fact that LA fans don't support LA artists by purchasing the records).  E-40's "Tell Me When To Go" is a track you still hear in the clubs down in Miami.  They aren't playing any Snoop Dogg tracks on there unless it's old like his Death Row tracks.

People in the South want to hear Gucci Mane, Young Jeezy, Ludacris, Bow Wow, Three Six Mafia, Yung L.A., Young Dro, Lil Wayne, T.I., Mack Mane, anything Cash Money, Rick Ross is huge in Florida, Fat Joe is eastcoast but he has a huge appeal in Miami cause he lives there and collabs with all those artists, Two Pistolz, Plies, and T-Pain is huge in the South.  Florida has its own rap movement now, add on all the classic artists in Texas like your Paul Walls and Mike Jones and Scarfaces, and all the artists in Louisiana and Georgia and you have your answer why nobody is waiting or looking for West Coast Rap anymore.  this is also the reason Dre is afraid to drop "Detox" because he doesn't know if he can compete with the Dirty South.  It's kind of like the SEC Football, they run shit.  That's why you see Snoop trying to collab with Gucci Mane and all these other cats cause he knows his record branches out more when he collabs with them then Nipsy Hustle, Jay Rock, or Damani.  People in the South want the hard bass, the finger snappin, raw slow flow.  And if you ain't got that, they don't wanna hear no old G-Funk All Nightaz/Warren G long beach shit.

This is why Soulja Boy can outsell Snoop and Ice Cube.  Our classic artists have dried up and nobody except The Game has risen to the top in the new breed.  And The Game stays relevant by collabing with everyone to reach out to different fan bases.  The Westcoast rap scene hasn't been the same since the Up In Smoke Tour in 2000.

Who gives a fuck what a few people in the south are looking for? Bottom line is that Snoop sells more than E-40. 40 has the entire south behind him, and Snoop released an R&B album and still sold more. Numbers don't lie.

Check your info, because Soulja Boy doesn't outsell Snoop. And Ice Cube doesn't sell platinum records anymore because he's an indie artist. You do realize that record labels pay radio stations to play their singles?

Its funny how people talk about Snoop and Ice Cube's album sales....then these same people call rappers like Rick Ross and Plies successful when they sell even less.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2009, 04:17:56 PM by rapsodie sees the bitch in you »

V2DHeart

« Reply #34 on: October 01, 2009, 01:46:55 AM »
Because West Coast artists with no album out, but have a buzz can still make money through appearances on other artists albums, through club venues, mixtape/song sales etc, and actually live ok with that, and many are able to take advantage of the free promotional tools out there. Youtube/The Internet, and some may even get some Music Magazine space, and in turn it works for them to shift even more mixtapes/songs, and appear on more clubs, and concerts..

Putting out an album, takes money, and depending on how much promotion, features, and buzz songs are on there, it can cost a considerably high amount, after you spent for radio spins, and everything else it can sometimes cost more to make an album than the profits obtained from it, and even more so in 2009 where albums are likely to sell 50,000 max, and that's with major buzz, just look at Slaughterhouse for an example
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/JWTNFUWa1PM" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/JWTNFUWa1PM</a> <a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/eE_ov9cPKxE" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/eE_ov9cPKxE</a><a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/53dftjKPTvU" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/53dftjKPTvU</a>

love33

« Reply #35 on: October 01, 2009, 11:48:46 AM »

This is why Soulja Boy can outsell Snoop and Ice Cube.  Our classic artists have dried up and nobody except The Game has risen to the top in the new breed.  And The Game stays relevant by collabing with everyone to reach out to different fan bases.  The Westcoast rap scene hasn't been the same since the Up In Smoke Tour in 2000.

Who gives a fuck what a few people in the south are looking for? Bottom line is that Snoop sells more than E-40. 40 has the entire south behind him, and Snoop released an R&B album and still sold more. Numbers don't lie.

Check your info, because Soulja Boy doesn't outsell Snoop. And Ice Cube doesn't sell platinum records anymore because he's an indie artist. You do realize that record labels pay radio stations to play their singles?

Its funny how people talk about Snoop and Ice Cube's album sales....then these same people call rappers like Rick Ross and Plies successful when they sell even less.

Ego Trippin has over 500k sales and souljaboytellem.com has over 1 million records sold.  The South is where the majority of the country lives, so it does matter for sales. 
How is Ross selling less?  Cube has sold 500k Gold with ‘Laugh Now, Cry Later’ and ‘Raw Footage’  sold 300k.  Ross sold 700k with “Port of Miami” and 700k with “Trilla.”  Plies sold 350k with “Da Realist” and 400k with “Definition of Real.”

E-40 sold platinum with "my Ghetto Report Card" and what has snoop done lately?

D-Nice

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I Made Jesus Walks/So I Ain't Never Going To Hell
« Reply #36 on: October 01, 2009, 12:06:21 PM »

Ego Trippin has over 500k sales and souljaboytellem.com has over 1 million records sold.  The South is where the majority of the country lives, so it does matter for sales. 
How is Ross selling less?  Cube has sold 500k Gold with ‘Laugh Now, Cry Later’ and ‘Raw Footage’  sold 300k.  Ross sold 700k with “Port of Miami” and 700k with “Trilla.”  Plies sold 350k with “Da Realist” and 400k with “Definition of Real.”

My Ghetto Report Card do not go platinum, it went gold. Came out same year as Laugh Now Cry Later. Blue Carpet Treatment came out for Snoop that same year and is alot closer to platinum then 40 is at this point. Rick Ross' latest album is MAYBE at 375k and Soulja Boy's last album flopped.

D-Nice

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #37 on: October 01, 2009, 01:07:39 PM »
But since we are throwing Soulja Boy in the convo here Love, (no homo) there is one artist from C A L I F O R N I A that has out sold ya boy Soulja and Rick Ross and Plies and did it as recent as this year. I will give ya some time to figure out who it is.

Triple OG Rapsodie

« Reply #38 on: October 01, 2009, 01:19:50 PM »

Check your figures before you speak. Ego Trippin has sold more than the last albums of all the artists you mentioned.

Invincible

« Reply #39 on: October 01, 2009, 01:56:34 PM »
Check the worldwide sales here:

http://www.dubcnn.com/connect/index.php?topic=231327.0

Ego Trippin sold more than shitty Soulja Boi's second album. The south really isn't doing as great as people think.

R-Tistic

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • DJ R-Tistic....L.A.'s Favorite
« Reply #40 on: October 01, 2009, 03:44:11 PM »

Ego Trippin sold more than shitty Soulja Boi's second album. The south really isn't doing as great as people think.

Eh, that's kinda true, kinda not true....it's fact that the South has a milliion radio/commercial/club hits out there, and it's been that way most of the decade, and it's fact that only a few artists (T.I., Luda, Outkast, Wayne) really sell major units. Thing is...since 2005, I'm not even sure if there's been a single West Coast album to go platinum. I can check Game, Snoop, E-40, Too Short...but I doubt any of these have gone platinum....so even if the South ain't sellin as much as we sold in the 90's, they are still shittin on us and the East. Low key, the Midwest has seen the most success this decade with radio play AND sales.

D-Nice

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #41 on: October 01, 2009, 03:53:22 PM »

Eh, that's kinda true, kinda not true....it's fact that the South has a milliion radio/commercial/club hits out there, and it's been that way most of the decade, and it's fact that only a few artists (T.I., Luda, Outkast, Wayne) really sell major units. Thing is...since 2005, I'm not even sure if there's been a single West Coast album to go platinum. I can check Game, Snoop, E-40, Too Short...but I doubt any of these have gone platinum....so even if the South ain't sellin as much as we sold in the 90's, they are still shittin on us and the East. Low key, the Midwest has seen the most success this decade with radio play AND sales.

Yeah that is true. I guess what gets everyones riled up is when people suggest we should do what the south is doing to get success. Throwing T-Pain on any random track or doing 8 club records instead of 2 does not make you a overnight celebrity. I do agree that there are alot of issues going on musically out west but selling out to up sales should not be one of them. It will blow up in your face 90% of the time (excluding Black Eyed Peas lol)

V2DHeart

« Reply #42 on: October 01, 2009, 04:35:33 PM »
Quote from: love33

I disagree somewhat. Artists don't need to make records like Gucci, Bow Wow, Wayne to sell big numbers. That's rubbish just because they're from the South, and have hype at the moment, the rest don't need to follow suit. For one - They're wack, and two - fresh innovative music does sell big. If history has taught us anything, it's that people can come out of nowhere and sell huge numbers, with good quality albums. Just look at 50 Cents Get Rich or Die Tryin' (diamond status) or Games Documentary, which was only released in 2005, and sold around 9 million worldwide and will probably reach diamond status in the next few years. No Gucci, or Lil Wayne will ever aspire to such numbers. Weak watered down club trash seems to be the mainstream climax for Hip Hop, which fortunately for people like Wayne and a LOT of Southern rappers - works out for them extremely well for them - for the time being that is!!! But Hip Hop works in cycles. Eventually the trend will move to another coast, while others pop up and hit multi platinum success, and whatever coast is on top means that all coasts are buying it in some shape or form. The south would have been buying West Coast records in the mid 90's, but some South cats never made West records. Some stuck to what they done, and waited until it came to their time where their style was favoured or chosen to lead commercial Hip Hop.

& E-40. The guys voice is annoying. It took me to listen to 'Ghetto Report Card' from start to finish but never gave it a second listen. I wasn't the only one. Snoop is a globally recognized name where investors, and business ventures will be easier to obtain in Snoops position. E-40, Lil Wayne or anyone else similar regardless of sales wont have the same confidence in long term business ventures from big corporations. Snoop doesn't need to sell big to make big money anymore
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/JWTNFUWa1PM" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/JWTNFUWa1PM</a> <a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/eE_ov9cPKxE" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/eE_ov9cPKxE</a><a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/53dftjKPTvU" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/53dftjKPTvU</a>

King Tech Quadafi

• His Royal Highness
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • i think you betta recognize...
« Reply #43 on: October 01, 2009, 04:58:36 PM »
knoc was a good example of this...couldve blown up after bad intentions
"One day Alice came to a fork in the road and saw a Cheshire cat in a tree. "Which road do I take?" she asked. "Where do you want to go?" was his response. "I don't know," Alice answered. "Then," said the cat, "it doesn't matter."

- Lewis Carroll

D-Nice

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #44 on: October 01, 2009, 11:35:34 PM »
knoc was a good example of this...couldve blown up after bad intentions

Yeah I always thought the label dropped the ball on his projects. But Knoc was so close to blowing up & he was and still is keeping it westcoast.