Author Topic: In the Studio with Warren G: The G-Files Interview  (Read 633 times)

Lunatic

In the Studio with Warren G: The G-Files Interview
« on: September 29, 2009, 10:19:31 AM »

http://raptalk.net/website/content/view/1954/54/

Even though Raptalk.Net unleashed a new Warren G interview just a week ago, there is no question that the release of his sixth solo album, "The G-Files" in stores today is one of two big west coast releases today! (Mack 10 "Soft White" also in stores today). So in order to properly celebrate the release, we once again hooked up with the G-Child to go through each song on the album! Read on to get a proper track by track breakdown on "The G-Files" from Warren G himself!

Read Full Interview Here:
http://raptalk.net/website/content/view/1954/54/
« Last Edit: September 29, 2009, 10:24:36 AM by Lunatic 63 »
Co-Director of Site Content For Raptalk.Net
Staff Writer For WordOfSouth.Com
Staff Writer For Illuminati2G.Net
Staff Writer For SoPrupRadio.com

Lunatic

Re: In the Studio with Warren G: The G-Files Interview
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2009, 10:19:53 AM »
Raptalk.Net: We’re right here with here with Warren G! We hooked up with the G-Child just a few weeks ago for an exclusive interview surrounding his latest LP, “The G-Files” which is in stores today (September 29th). However, since Warren G is such a decorated west coast artist and with the official release of his sixth solo album, we are sitting here with him once again today. Warren G has offered to take www.raptalk.net on a journey through his new album, but first off, how are you doing Warren?

Warren G: I’m chilling; just down here enjoying this 25th year anniversary for Def Jam. I contributed to that and they honored me and I honored them. I’m just having a great time and looking forward to this “G-Files” album. It’ll be in stores Tuesday, September 29th.

Raptalk.Net: We saw XV do a little feature on you by performing “Regulate.”

Warren G: What was that?

Raptalk.Net: The artist XV, he did a tribute to you by performing “Regulate.”

Warren G: I didn’t see that.

Raptalk.Net: On the honor show, an artist by the name of XV performed “Regulate.”

Warren G: Is that right?

Raptalk.Net: Indeed. I think you would have appreciated it because although you may not know this, XV is the nephew of Chocolate, the producer who did “Ice Ice Baby” so I would say they picked the right artist.

Warren G: Yeah, I know Chocolate.

Raptalk.Net: His nephew is XV and he’s the one who did “Regulate.”

Warren G: Oh, are you talking about Slim Tha Mobster?

Raptalk.Net: No, but Slim is also Chocolate’s nephew. Slim is Chocolate’s nephew, and Chocolate has another nephew that raps named XV – and he’s the one who honored you by performing “Regulate.”

Warren G: Oh ok, that’s tight. That’s big right there.

Raptalk.Net: We’re gonna’ get into this album and your gonna’ break down track by track for us. Let’s start with the “Intro” that leads into “The West Is Back” with Bad Lucc and Halla.

Warren G: The Intro was incredible with heavy kicks and heavy snares and some nice horns in there. What I always do on the record is give up and coming artists a shot to get there shine on. I told [Bad] Lucc and Halla, I said look nigga, this is y’all shot. I wanted them to intro the album and let them know in general about the west coast. I wanted them to introduce me for this first song and lay it out. They did that and put it down. They did a hell of a job. That’s why it’s on the record. Exactly, “The West Is Back.”

Raptalk.Net: Next up we have “True Star” with B.J.

Warren G: “True Star” is a record that is incredible. It’s telling the new generation and anyone in general that since I stay positive in anything I do, if you follow my lead you will go real far. If you listen to the motto, you can follow my motto and become successful. B.J. hammered it by the way on the hook.

Raptalk.Net: B.J. is a next generation great west coast singer. In true Warren G fashion, we have “Let’s Get High (4:20)” with Black Nicc and Travis Barker.

Warren G: “Let’s Get High”, I like to smoke weed. It’s not I’m addicted to it or do it 24 hours a day because I don’t do that. But I do like to get my smoke on. When I work, it gives me a different feeling and it just feels good. That record was a great record. I came in there and hummed the melody. I and Black Nicc put the words to the melody. This cat I know Christian Davis came in and laid the hook. It turned out to be a classic. I got at Travis [Barker] because I needed some motherfuckin’ drums on it. I laid the basic guitar stuff and I got at Travis [Barker] for him to lay the drums on it. Him and DJ Am was working real tough and I was doing a lot of shows with them. I needed to get down with Travis. I gave him the beat and he did it, it turned out to be a great record.

Raptalk.Net: It wouldn’t feel like a Warren G record with a weed anthem.

Warren G: It wouldn’t be right without one. I’ve done it on damn near every album.

Raptalk.Net: Next up we have “100 Miles & Running” with Raekwon and of course you partner in crime, Nate Dogg.

Warren G: “100 Miles & Running” is a great record. That was one of the records I did with Nate [Dogg] before he had his first stroke. We did about 7 or 8 songs together. Actually how that song came about, I was on my way back from the All-Star and stopped at a gas station to use the bathroom. I got me a burger and I’m coming outside and I see my girl’s sister Asia so I hug her and look and I see Raekwon. He was just like what’s up my G? he came over to me and said he wanted to work with me. I was like shit, I want to work with you too (laughs). We exchanged numbers and I hit him two weeks later. He was in L.A. and came up and got down with me and we knocked it down

Raptalk.Net: That’s a big record right there. Up next once again, you are helping out the younger generation on “Skate Skate” with Halla.

Warren G: “Skate Skate” is incredible. I love to skate. And there are a lot of beautiful woman that skate. That was just something different. It’s what I like to do so I just decided to make a song about it. That’s what defers me from other artists. I’m gonna’ talk about what I like to do; I don’t care if it’s skiing or whatever. I like to skate so I’m gonna’ talk about it. That isn’t soft or something. A lot of dudes are like, “that nigga likes to skate?” well you know what? Yes I do. And guess what? It ain’t anything but beautiful women there. Halla put it down. He’s an up and coming artist who did his thing. We rocked it.

Raptalk.Net: As usual, we have Warren G speaking the truth to the ladies on “Drinks Ain’t Free.”

Warren G: Oh, the “Drinks Ain’t Free” unless you rolling with me. That’s saying if you’re down with me, I’m down with you. But if your trying to play me just to get a drink, that ain’t gonna’ happen. You have to let me know that your down for the G-Funk; down for me, Warren motherfuckin’ G, you got to do it. That song, I had a great time putting it down on that record. It was actually a different type of sound. I found these ancient Indian drums and I listened to them. I came up with my own sounds from them and knocked them on my own (*starts singing drum melody*) you heard it, right?

Raptalk.Net: yeah, I heard it.

Warren G: Yeah. That’s how that came about man. I laid it down.

Raptalk.Net: Your 1/3rd of 213 and we already had Nate Dogg on one record, we’re now getting in the 3rd member with Snoop Dogg on “Swagger Rich” alongside Cassie Davis.

Warren G: Incredible. Swagger motherfuckin’ rich. When I say “Swagger Rich”, I’m not talking about gold chains and shit. I’m just basically saying it’s already in me without the chains and cars. There is just something about me that people love and like. That’s why I’m able to be successful and I have a story about myself. I just have the swag naturally. It isn’t about a gold chain or how you wear your clothes. It’s just something genuine. That’s how “Swagger Rich” came about. Snoop [Dogg] put it down and dropped his verse. I told him, this motherfucka’ gonna’ be a good record and it is.

Raptalk.Net: Next up we have “Suicide” with one of Tha Dogg Pound affiliated heads, RBX.

Warren G: RBX! “Suicide” is a record I did for a soundtrack. It’s an old record but nobody really ever heard it. It was a record that I had did for this videogame soundtrack and the videogame didn’t really do shit. So why should I waste this record…if it ain’t broke, why fix it? It’s up to date and up to par. It’s tons of artists everyday that use old shit. Its records that I got that are old as fuck that I could drop right now and you’d think it was done yesterday. If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. That record is incredible. RBX put it down and I put it down. The beat was just classic, “Chronic”, G-Funk feel. I had a good time when I did that record. It was just good to use it and it ain’t broke (laughs). It’s still a bomb ass record and it’s hot. Why not use it? Shit, I ain’t gonna’ let the motherfucka’ just sit up.

Raptalk.Net: Exactly and I agree with you on that. In the process of making music, a lot of the stuff you hear doesn’t necessarily have to mean it was done yesterday. It’s a dope record and there is nothing that can be taken away from that, no matter how old it is.

Warren G: Exactly, you get it and understand that my brother.

Raptalk.Net: Next up is “Masquerade” with Bad Lucc and Halla.

Warren G: “Masquerade” is an incredible record talking about a lot of funny stuff that goes on in the industry. It’s just about keeping it real. As far as my verse, I have people that grew up with in this business and all I want is a phone call. Just holla’ at your boy every now and then. Ask me how my kids are doing; that’s it.

Raptalk.Net: On this album, we’ve already brought “The West Is Back”, we’ve had the weed smoking anthem, the club banger and everything, and next up we have the meaningful reality record on “Hold On.”

Warren G: “Hold On” is basically just talking about even though we have people that have been to jail and they get out, but there good people. They get out and can’t get a job so they gotta’ hustle and do what they gotta’ do to survive; especially with these difficult times we’re going through right now with this recession which I think is a scam. I think that we need that “Hold On”, keep your head up even though we’re going through what we’re going through. Just keep your head up.

Raptalk.Net: The uplifting content continues on “What’s Wrong” with Halla and Black Nicc.

Warren G: “What’s Wrong” was a record where I wanted to talk about a lot of the guys that I used to see when I was coming up. I broke it down and said some serious names of guys from my neighborhood and people from Long Beach know what I’m talking about. I was just giving some insight and letting them know that these are my folks that I’m talking about. I love those cats.

Raptalk.Net: We now get smooth for the females on “Ringtone.”

Warren G: Ok, ring tones are so big that I just wanted to do a song that could possibly be a big ring tone song and still have the ladies love it because it’s talking about a girl. Girls, that’s their thing.

Raptalk.Net: They love their ring tones.

Warren G: That’s how that ended up panning out.

Raptalk.Net: You ended the record by hooking up with somebody you’ve known for a long time, Ray J on the “Crush” record.

Warren G: “Crush” is giving it up to the ladies. They’re probably used to me saying “bitch” and shit, I just wanted to do something different and really give it up to the ladies. They’re the ones who are buying our music and they support a lot. I had to give it up to them for being there for us.

Raptalk.Net: That’s the “G-Files” in stores September 29th.

Warren G: Yup!

Dre-Day

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • No justice, no peace
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2009, 10:39:58 AM »
Raptalk.Net: We saw XV do a little feature on you by performing “Regulate.”

Warren G: What was that?

Raptalk.Net: The artist XV, he did a tribute to you by performing “Regulate.”

Warren G: I didn’t see that.

Raptalk.Net: On the honor show, an artist by the name of XV performed “Regulate.”

Warren G: Is that right?

Raptalk.Net: Indeed. I think you would have appreciated it because although you may not know this, XV is the nephew of Chocolate, the producer who did “Ice Ice Baby” so I would say they picked the right artist.

Warren G: Yeah, I know Chocolate.

Raptalk.Net: His nephew is XV and he’s the one who did “Regulate.”

Warren G: Oh, are you talking about Slim Tha Mobster?

Raptalk.Net: No, but Slim is also Chocolate’s nephew. Slim is Chocolate’s nephew, and Chocolate has another nephew that raps named XV – and he’s the one who honored you by performing “Regulate.”

Warren G: Oh ok, that’s tight. That’s big right there.

no comment :whistle:

by the way, Lunatic, can i give you some real feedback? you're not really pressing these artists IMO. you're choosing the safe approach.
i'm not saying you should piss them off, but be more neutral & critical.
don't get it twisted, you're obviously a more experienced interviewer than me, i'm just saying ;)

Raptalk.Net: Next up we have “Suicide” with one of Tha Dogg Pound affiliated heads, RBX.

Warren G: RBX! “Suicide” is a record I did for a soundtrack. It’s an old record but nobody really ever heard it. It was a record that I had did for this videogame soundtrack and the videogame didn’t really do shit. So why should I waste this record…if it ain’t broke, why fix it? It’s up to date and up to par. It’s tons of artists everyday that use old shit. Its records that I got that are old as fuck that I could drop right now and you’d think it was done yesterday. If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. That record is incredible. RBX put it down and I put it down. The beat was just classic, “Chronic”, G-Funk feel. I had a good time when I did that record. It was just good to use it and it ain’t broke (laughs). It’s still a bomb ass record and it’s hot. Why not use it? Shit, I ain’t gonna’ let the motherfucka’ just sit up.

Raptalk.Net: Exactly and I agree with you on that. In the process of making music, a lot of the stuff you hear doesn’t necessarily have to mean it was done yesterday. It’s a dope record and there is nothing that can be taken away from that, no matter how old it is.
it's not a major issue, but putting a 6 year old, previously released track on a new album is just funny to me :laugh:
he did improve the sound quality a bit though.

so Warren is saying that True Crime "didn't do shit"  :o: if i'm not mistaken the videogame sold VERY well.
not sure about the soundtrack, but best believe it sold a lot more than G files will ever do ( no hate, just being honest Warren )

by the way, Lunatic, are you implying that Still Dre should be on Detox?

« Last Edit: September 29, 2009, 10:58:23 AM by From Dre-Day to Helter Skelter »

Lunatic

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2009, 11:14:13 AM »
^Dre-Day: I push artists when needed to. I actually have a reputation of doing so. I don't kiss ass. I got into it with DJ Drama during our interview. I kept it real with Ca$his when he asked me in our interview if I liked "We Made You." I told him no. I kept it real in my Rick Ross interview when he asked me if I ever saw ppl wearing G-Unit clothing - I said yes. Warren G, I didn't feel the need to push because I agree with the stuff I said. Dre putting "Still Dre" on Detox would be different to me because that has already appeared on a Dr. Dre album where-as Suicide never appeared on a Warren G album. I am not arguing with you, I appreciate the honest/real feedback -- just sharing my opinion back with u.

Paul

« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2009, 11:16:05 AM »
Good Points Dre Day

I think these track by track interviews are good, and maybe meant to a little more light hearted than gettin down to some serious questions

Although i did enjoy Nima(i think) tellin Snoop what he thought of some of the track on TBCT and him gettin pissed  :D
funkyfreshintheflesh

Paul

« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2009, 11:17:54 AM »
Also Lunatic, any chance you havin a Ghostface interview soon, or maybe a feature like this going through his latest album?

funkyfreshintheflesh

Lunatic

« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2009, 11:19:30 AM »
Good Points Dre Day

I think these track by track interviews are good, and maybe meant to a little more light hearted than gettin down to some serious questions

Although i did enjoy Nima(i think) tellin Snoop what he thought of some of the track on TBCT and him gettin pissed  :D
Definitely meant to be a little more light hearted and a change of pace from our regular interviews. Shit, I just dropped a "regular Warren G" interview a week ago lol.

As I said, I've pissed off DJ Drama, kept it real with Rick Ross, Ca$his, etc. U can dig all of those up 2 to see what I mean.

Paul: Ghostface, I tried to secure that but it never went down.

Paul

« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2009, 11:23:45 AM »
Good Points Dre Day

Definitely meant to be a little more light hearted and a change of pace from our regular interviews. Shit, I just dropped a "regular Warren G" interview a week ago lol.

As I said, I've pissed off DJ Drama, kept it real with Rick Ross, Ca$his, etc. U can dig all of those up 2 to see what I mean.

Struck a nerve with DOC too  ;D

funkyfreshintheflesh

Lunatic

« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2009, 11:27:12 AM »
Good Points Dre Day

Oh ya I did when I asked about Dre's son death. That one I ain't proud of though. It was done in poor taste on my part.

Dre-Day

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • No justice, no peace
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2009, 11:44:40 AM »
^Dre-Day: I push artists when needed to. I actually have a reputation of doing so. I don't kiss ass. I got into it with DJ Drama during our interview. I kept it real with Ca$his when he asked me in our interview if I liked "We Made You." I told him no. I kept it real in my Rick Ross interview when he asked me if I ever saw ppl wearing G-Unit clothing - I said yes. Warren G, I didn't feel the need to push because I agree with the stuff I said. Dre putting "Still Dre" on Detox would be different to me because that has already appeared on a Dr. Dre album where-as Suicide never appeared on a Warren G album. I am not arguing with you, I appreciate the honest/real feedback -- just sharing my opinion back with u.

yeah, it's all perception at the end of the day ( this feature & the DOC interviews mainly lead to the conclusion i made in my previous post)
by the way, i think you're being honest most(if not) all the time :)
i don't think you're a hypeman all the time either, i guess i'm just hoping for less diplomatic "moments"  ;)
so i can't say that it's wrong what you're doing: i can only speak for myself.
it would be interesting to know if anyone else shares my view.

about Suicide: ok, i guess we look at it differently then. but wouldn't you have liked to see a new song on G-Files, in stead of Suicide?

anyway, yeah this is not an argument: the message is clearly ;) thanks for the honest answer 8)

Dre-Day

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • No justice, no peace
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2009, 11:47:06 AM »
Good Points Dre Day

Paul: Ghostface, I tried to secure that but it never went down.
lol, DJ Drama ;D oh well he's an idiot anyway

Good Points Dre Day

Although i did enjoy Nima(i think) tellin Snoop what he thought of some of the track on TBCT and him gettin pissed  :D

Oh ya I did when I asked about Dre's son death. That one I ain't proud of though. It was done in poor taste on my part.
nah it wasn't that bad at all. it wasn't your fault

Lunatic

« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2009, 11:47:44 AM »
yeah, it's all perception at the end of the day ( this feature & the DOC interviews mainly lead to the conclusion i made in my previous post)
i don't think you're a hypeman all the time either, i guess i'm just hoping for less diplomatic "moments"  ;)

about Suicide: ok, i guess we look at it differently then. but wouldn't you have liked to see a new song on G-Files, in stead of Suicide?

anyway, yeah this is not an argument: the message is clearly ;) thanks for the honest answer 8)

I try to be honest always, thanks for noticing that. To be honest, I don't even recall hearing "Suicide" (although I did purchase and complete that video game lol), so it wasn't an issue to me.

Soopafly DPGC

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Its my duty to break a bitch down to buck nudie
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2009, 11:51:30 AM »
Lunatic--you need to get a Soopafly interview going down, i got lots of questions my man.  I know you can get at Fly if you wanted to.

Dre-Day

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • No justice, no peace
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2009, 11:57:07 AM »
i don't think you're a hypeman all the time either, i guess i'm just hoping for less diplomatic "moments"  ;)

I try to be honest always, thanks for noticing that. To be honest, I don't even recall hearing "Suicide" (although I did purchase and complete that video game lol), so it wasn't an issue to me.
no problem ;)

so Suicide was basically a new song for you? ah that makes sense.
you see, the videogame had so many songs on it, but only some of them were actually released on the CD soundtrack release.
the Warren G song with RBX happens to be on it though! it has a different title: What U Wanna Do.

that's why i think Warren can't state that the song mainly got overlooked, as his song was on the CD, unlike most of the songs from the videogame

Good Points Dre Day

Although i did enjoy Nima(i think) tellin Snoop what he thought of some of the track on TBCT and him gettin pissed  :D
true
« Last Edit: September 29, 2009, 11:58:41 AM by From Dre-Day to Helter Skelter »

gio™fugahoo

« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2009, 12:01:21 PM »
Good Points Dre Day

oh i tottally forgot about that snoop interview
i tried the search function but can^t find it
who can help me out by findin that interviw again

by the way
lunatic i like your interviews
most of the time you asked the question i wanna know
and your knoc-turnâl interviews where we asked knoc our question was the shittttttttt
hope we can do that again when he release the album or mixtape anytime (soon)  ;D
between wasen^t there a second part of the around the corner by kurupt interview styles did?????