Author Topic: Should we have the right to criticize rappers and not get put on blast?  (Read 851 times)

DTG Entertainment

I ask you this, because times have changed drastically since the 1990's when fans didn't really have the chance to interact with artists. Labels have more control, and usually tend to make artists conform to the norms to move decent amounts of units which affects the artists as a whole. Sometimes, it's the artists picking out what they feel is best. Are we too critical of them or is it just as of the last few years the fans really have been able to voice their opinions openly - so it changes the game? Artists tend to get a bit displeased with us and so do labels.

One of the other reasons I ask you this is because I was a tad bit unhappy with Royce's Street Hop 2010. Royce hadn't released an album since 2005 when he did that independent record and six or seven tracks off that record I had heard months even years ago such as Shake That or Part Of Me. I was speaking in JoeBudden's BlogTV chatroom, and I said I just wish Shake That wouldn't have been on the album, because the track is two years old and Budden put me on blast saying "Fans are never happy, appreciate what you get, the album is great, blah blah blah." I thought Royce's album was very solid, but understand I don't want to hear the same tracks I heard years ago. I want new content, because it ain't a fucking mixtape - it's a damn album. I can give a few examples of people and companies who get pissed because of the fans voicing their opinions.

- WIDEawake
- Kurupt
- Daz Dillinger
- Joe Budden
- Warren G

So, should I be happy with my seven or so recycled tracks or should I have the right to voice my opinion and not get called out for something Mr. Budden clearly doesn't know about?

Personally, I was a bit displeased with Joey because I support Royce in all that he does, but I don't have my fucking right to an opinion? Come on Joey, lay off the medicine.

D-Nice

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I Made Jesus Walks/So I Ain't Never Going To Hell
Re: Should we have the right to criticize rappers and not get put on blast?
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2009, 09:19:52 PM »
I say yes you have the right to voice your opinion. Especially if I am paying my hard earned money for a album.

Lunatic

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2009, 09:21:21 PM »
I say yes you have the right to voice your opinion. Especially if I am paying my hard earned money for a album.
co sign to the fullest
Co-Director of Site Content For Raptalk.Net
Staff Writer For WordOfSouth.Com
Staff Writer For Illuminati2G.Net
Staff Writer For SoPrupRadio.com

DTG Entertainment

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2009, 09:21:44 PM »

+ 1

I think it's funny how rappers get so displeased now a days when we voice our opinions, but we are the ones paying for their lifestyle.

D-Nice

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2009, 09:24:45 PM »

+ 1

I think it's funny how rappers get so displeased now a days when we voice our opinions, but we are the ones paying for their lifestyle.

Hell even if people do not buy the album they can voice they opinion. That would be like saying my vote for Obama does not count because I did not donate campaign money.

The-Leak (aka) kingwell (bka) JULES

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • ~TWITTER.COM/ITZJULES
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2009, 11:44:46 PM »
Okay.... Let's put this into perspective.

Good songs should be on an album, heard before or not.  If it really is good, it will stand the test of time when you hear it again.

There was no internet hookups like now back then, so when you heard Shake This, it was only on a music video that you would have seen like twice on MTV, and would be so happy that it's on this CD now.

I purposely didn't listen to Part of Me alot cuz I knew it would be on the album.  And after listening, I think it is my favorite track off the whole CD, still liked it as much as I did when it first leaked.

Fans have the right to express displeasure, but you gotta make sure you're not taking the artist for granted...

One suggestion: when I listen/download new songs, there's usually a bit of info from where it's coming from, if it's from an upcoming release, I'll just wait for the whole joint to come out, so every song is new to me.  I even did this with singles sometimes.

DTG Entertainment

« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2009, 11:49:54 PM »

Good songs should be on an album, heard before or not.  If it really is good, it will stand the test of time when you hear it again.

There was no internet hookups like now back then, so when you heard Shake This, it was only on a music video that you would have seen like twice on MTV, and would be so happy that it's on this CD now.

I purposely didn't listen to Part of Me alot cuz I knew it would be on the album.  And after listening, I think it is my favorite track off the whole CD, still liked it as much as I did when it first leaked.

Fans have the right to express displeasure, but you gotta make sure you're not taking the artist for granted...

One suggestion: when I listen/download new songs, there's usually a bit of info from where it's coming from, if it's from an upcoming release, I'll just wait for the whole joint to come out, so every song is new to me.  I even did this with singles sometimes.

But we can't all be Saint Jules. ;)

R1ZE

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Do 4 Love
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2009, 11:54:21 PM »

cosign.

D-Nice

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2009, 11:55:17 PM »

Yeah I do the same with albums. If I really like the artist, I try not to listen to alot of leaked tracks, and just cop the album when it drops. At times it just seems like artists cannot take criticism for their albums and it all gets lumped in as haters. But I honestly feel like if I paid my hard earned money on a cd, I have the right to say something.

NiCc_FrUm_ThA_nO

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • EastSide But I Represent The Whole F
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2009, 12:39:02 AM »

cosign.

GimmeYourShoes

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2009, 02:33:12 AM »
Of course you have the right to state your opinion whether you bought the album or just stole it. It's just another case if the artist cares about your opinion. Why people paint or make music in general is for self amusement. Others are free to like it or dislike it. Joe Budden didn't make that album for you, he made it for himself.
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/S_oMD6-6q5Y&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1&amp;color1=0x006699&amp;color2=0x54abd6" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/S_oMD6-6q5Y&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1&amp;color1=0x006699&amp;color2=0x54abd6</a>

DTG Entertainment

« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2009, 03:26:44 AM »
Of course you have the right to state your opinion whether you bought the album or just stole it. It's just another case if the artist cares about your opinion. Why people paint or make music in general is for self amusement. Others are free to like it or dislike it. Joe Budden didn't make that album for you, he made it for himself.

It wasn't Joe's album though. I was critiquing Royce's album. Lol. Not Joey's, but Joey's lack too especially on mixing.

K.Dub

• Magic
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2009, 04:40:00 AM »
I do not listen to leaked songs when they come on the web, simple as that.

Now I have yet to listen to Royce's album, and I have not heard that Shake Off track or whatever, so it will be totally fresh for me.
It's your own fault for downloading!

Good songs should be on an album, heard before or not.  If it really is good, it will stand the test of time when you hear it again.

cosign.

kemizt

UKnowWhatItIs: welcome to my traps....game over

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2009, 04:45:08 AM »

Dre-Day

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • No justice, no peace
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2009, 05:36:10 AM »
I ask you this, because times have changed drastically since the 1990's when fans didn't really have the chance to interact with artists. Labels have more control, and usually tend to make artists conform to the norms to move decent amounts of units which affects the artists as a whole. Sometimes, it's the artists picking out what they feel is best. Are we too critical of them or is it just as of the last few years the fans really have been able to voice their opinions openly - so it changes the game? Artists tend to get a bit displeased with us and so do labels.

One of the other reasons I ask you this is because I was a tad bit unhappy with Royce's Street Hop 2010. Royce hadn't released an album since 2005 when he did that independent record and six or seven tracks off that record I had heard months even years ago such as Shake That or Part Of Me. I was speaking in JoeBudden's BlogTV chatroom, and I said I just wish Shake That wouldn't have been on the album, because the track is two years old and Budden put me on blast saying "Fans are never happy, appreciate what you get, the album is great, blah blah blah." I thought Royce's album was very solid, but understand I don't want to hear the same tracks I heard years ago. I want new content, because it ain't a fucking mixtape - it's a damn album. I can give a few examples of people and companies who get pissed because of the fans voicing their opinions.

- WIDEawake
- Kurupt
- Daz Dillinger
- Joe Budden
- Warren G

So, should I be happy with my seven or so recycled tracks or should I have the right to voice my opinion and not get called out for something Mr. Budden clearly doesn't know about?

Personally, I was a bit displeased with Joey because I support Royce in all that he does, but I don't have my fucking right to an opinion? Come on Joey, lay off the medicine.
not sure, i'm basically a hater ;)