Author Topic: Computer upgrade  (Read 312 times)

jpm

• Muthafuckin' Double OG
Computer upgrade
« on: October 27, 2009, 01:10:41 PM »
Lets say i want to upgrade my computer and will be using it mainly to browse the web, listen to music, run a lil file server with not much users, play (not too demanding) games, play poker, etc. all in the same time though. I want it to not be slow at any times and be sharp is it better to get a single cpu or x2 x3 x4 .. ? no idea really! what are the advantages of x3 x4 .. ?

------------

Hello my computer is getting old now and i want to upgrade it so here's what i want to buy:

Mobo: Asus M4A79
CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 3,0GHz
Ram: Kingston HyperX 2x2GB DDR3 2000 (PC3 16000)

1- now i dont really know much about compatibility of hardware and i cant get an answer on websites... will the ram bars be compatible with my mobo?

2- I have no clue on everything 64bit ... so for new OS i want windows 7 ... but do i get the 64 version or what..?

3- Specs of the motherboard says 5xSATA3 plugs, will my SATA1 hdds be ok?

I did use google and it didnt really help me out! Thanks to the ppl that will help me out!
www.ReallyHipHop.com for all the latest hip-hop media available!

Big B

Re: Computer upgrade
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2009, 01:36:02 PM »
sounds like a good start.

the hd will be fine.

and go with 64

Jome

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2009, 02:14:29 PM »
If you have 4GM RAM or more, go for Windows 7, 64-bit.

If you want your PC to be fast as a motherfucker, get yourself the award-winning Intel X25-M 80GB Gen 2 SSD, instead of a regular harddrive, it's fast as lightning.
It's the single best upgrade you can make to make your PC go faster. When I hit the power button, I'm inside Win 7 in about 25 seconds. Opening Firefox or any other application, usually takes 0,5 second, at the maximum a second.  8)
It's fucking awesome, every test I've seen on the net have awarded it "Editors choice", the highest rank.

Phenom II X4 is probably good for a bargain, but you may want to look at Intel i5 series, Intel i5 and i7 have won every benchmark test the last year, AMD is slacking behind.
i7 is crazy, but almost twice the price of an Phenom II X4, i5 is located in a more affordable price-range, and isn't far behind i7 in performance.

SATA-plugs are backwards-compatible, so they'll work.

.:TimeLock:.

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Da Time Keepa!
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2009, 12:17:11 AM »

If you want your PC to be fast as a motherfucker, get yourself the award-winning Intel X25-M 80GB Gen 2 SSD, instead of a regular harddrive, it's fast as lightning.
It's the single best upgrade you can make to make your PC go faster. When I hit the power button, I'm inside Win 7 in about 25 seconds. Opening Firefox or any other application, usually takes 0,5 second, at the maximum a second.  8)
It's fucking awesome, every test I've seen on the net have awarded it "Editors choice", the highest rank.

Phenom II X4 is probably good for a bargain, but you may want to look at Intel i5 series, Intel i5 and i7 have won every benchmark test the last year, AMD is slacking behind.
i7 is crazy, but almost twice the price of an Phenom II X4, i5 is located in a more affordable price-range, and isn't far behind i7 in performance.

think i'll get one for my acer netbook when the price comes down 8)

Þŕiņçë

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Cold Hearted Son Of A Bitch
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2009, 10:00:07 AM »

good infos

Big B

« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2009, 01:12:11 PM »

i'd wait for an i9.

the phenoms II's arent bad at all. theyre about as good as a core 2 quad.

missnwawhoorider

« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2009, 03:23:57 PM »
damn I can't wait til I get my computer.............

jpm

• Muthafuckin' Double OG
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2009, 11:16:57 AM »
Aight cool. thanks for the answers! ill stick with phenom2 x4 since i dont want to put too much money into this project. one last thing tho will the ram be compatible with the motherboard?

westsiderider323

« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2009, 11:33:20 AM »
damn I can't wait til I get my computer.............

the fuck?

Þŕiņçë

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2009, 12:36:02 PM »

i'd wait for an i9.

when does the i9 come out?

jpm

• Muthafuckin' Double OG
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2009, 03:32:51 PM »
also, would you consider changing the power supply? if i let my computer open all the time for about 4 years.. its a Antec PSU though, not a bad one.

LooN3y

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Paid Tha Cost 2 Be Tha Boss
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2009, 03:37:40 PM »
whats the BEST processer these days?

Tha Reella - Slap A Nigga Up Like Wyatt Earp / Sig downsized, too big.

Þŕiņçë

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2009, 04:18:30 PM »
looney, your asian, do you play online games?

LooN3y

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Paid Tha Cost 2 Be Tha Boss
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2009, 04:26:52 PM »
looney, your asian, do you play online games?

lol of course, i  still play counter-strike some times.

damn im faded  8)

Tha Reella - Slap A Nigga Up Like Wyatt Earp / Sig downsized, too big.

Jome

« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2009, 04:36:33 PM »
Intel i9 comes out mid-2010, and will be priced very high.. only worth waiting if you're a super-user, and only need the best of the best.
No need to wait, when i9 arrives, they'll probably talk about the i10 or something that will come in 2011.. there will always be something new.

i7 is by far the best processors out today, the i7 920 is the big consumer beast, but if you're stacked with cash you can go for the 940, 950, 965 or extreme edition 975.
920 is priced high, but affordable for many consumers.
940-950-960, twice the price of 920, ridiculous prices. 965 & 975, 4 times the price of 920, insane prices.. they're not THAT much faster than 920, even twice the price would be a rip-off.

The i5 series gives you the most bang for your buck, even though I opted for i7 920 myself.
i5 are priced very aggressive, and can be considered a bargain.. would have bought i5 instead of any Phenom.. I used to like AMD, but they can't hang in the CPU-market any more.

They're not bad by any means, but i5 will give you much more for your money, in nearly the same price-range.

Aight cool. thanks for the answers! ill stick with phenom2 x4 since i dont want to put too much money into this project. one last thing tho will the ram be compatible with the motherboard?

Seems like that motherboard is made for DDR2 RAM, slower than the DDR3 you suggested.
Would have chosen a newer motherboard with DDR3 support, and highly consider a Intel i5 set-up..

also, would you consider changing the power supply? if i let my computer open all the time for about 4 years.. its a Antec PSU though, not a bad one.

Depends on how much effect your PSU is capable of.. 500W should do in most cases for regular users.

« Last Edit: October 29, 2009, 04:39:19 PM by Jome »