Author Topic: Good read on Peyton Manning in the playoffs.  (Read 245 times)

OchoCinco

Good read on Peyton Manning in the playoffs.
« on: December 07, 2009, 05:10:25 PM »
Peyton Manning is the greatest, most successful professional athlete who also happens to be one most prolific choke artists in sports history.

Now before I continue let me say that yes he is a first ballot Hall of Famer and yes when he retires he will have accumulated just about every regular season record that a quarterback can achieve.

But deep down admit it, didn't you expect more than one Super Bowl trophy to his name? With all the talent around him and all those regular season wins, division crowns and records doesn't it seem odd that he has won as many Super Bowls as Brad Johnson, Jeff Hostetler and Trent Dilfer?

Any great quarterback should always be measured by what they did in the playoffs, unless ironically enough their name is Archie Manning, that guy was just stuck on a horrible team in an era of no free agency so quick fixes were out of the question back then.

Lets take a look back at Peyton Manning in the playoffs.

1999: The Colts went 13-3, won their division but lost in the first round to the underdog Titans.

2000: The team went 10-6 and lost in the first round on the road at Miami. Yes the Dolphins were the "favourite" but they only had one more win and were coached by Dave Wannstedt. In my books the Colts were the better team.

2002: Peyton and the Colts get blown out 41-0 in the first round on the road against the New York Jets. The Colts actually had more wins but still got killed by a weak armed Chad Pennington led Jets team.

2003 & 2004: Both years Indianapolis lost to those great Patriot teams. But don't great quarterbacks carry teams on their backs and beat more talented teams on occasion? Peyton was overwhelmed in both games throwing five interceptions vs. one measly touchdown in those two games. Yuck.

2005: Again they are the favoured team and again Peyton and the Colts lose at home; this time to the Pittsburgh Steelers.

2006: Finally Peyton wins a Super Bowl. However it should be noted that Peyton threw three touchdowns and seven interceptions in the teams playoff run and he never had a QB rating over 82 in any of those games. The Colts won with their defence coming together at the right time and a dominant running game led by Dominick Rhodes and Joseph Addai.

2007: For yet another year the Colts lose in their first playoff game at home against an inferior opponent (San Diego) who were without their star running back and lost their starting quarterback. Yet once again Peyton Manning was the losing quarterback on a team that vastly underachieved in the playoffs.

2008: Indianapolis may have been on the road but they were favoured to beat the mighty AFC West 8-8 Champion San Diego Chargers. But in their latest edition of playoff failures the Colts could only manage 17 points against one of the worst secondaries in the league. The only points Peyton Manning could produce in the second half came on a busted coverage play by the Chargers that led to a long touchdown pass to a wide open Reggie Wayne.

So despite all his accomplishments and rosters littered with Pro Bowl players Peyton Manning's playoff record is 7-8. The 3-Time NFL MVP has a losing record. Throw in the fact that he always choked in college at Tennessee, especially against the Florida Gators and I can't help but think his career, for as wonderful as it has been is seriously flawed.

Now it may be harsh to shine the spotlight on the Colts playoff failures on the quarterback but this sort of acute criticism comes with the position. Your team wins you are a God, they lose and you're the goat. That is the world of pro sports, no one said it was fair.

If I had a vote I would vote for Peyton Manning into the Pro Football Hall of Fame the first year he is eligible.
I would also call him one of the great choke artists of my generation.

Facts are facts. This goes out to shallow. 8)

Chamillitary Click

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The greatest entertainer ever.
Re: Good read on Peyton Manning in the playoffs.
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2009, 05:39:05 PM »

Teddy Roosevelt

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The Trust-Buster
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2009, 05:42:24 PM »
Yes he is a bit of a choker. On the other hand, Manning set all those statistical records because he had phenomenal players on offense. Much of the time the Colts did so poorly in the playoffs because he usually had a shitty defense.

Chamillitary Click

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2009, 05:47:18 PM »
Yes he is a bit of a choker. On the other hand, Manning set all those statistical records because he had phenomenal players on offense. Much of the time the Colts did so poorly in the playoffs because he usually had a shitty defense.

but he's such a "godly" figure, i would think just him alone could carry them to the promise lands. :P

ThaChamp

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2009, 07:11:54 PM »
i dont see him choking this year unless its against the Chargers

Chamillitary Click

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2009, 07:12:59 PM »

if it is Saints/Colts in the Superbowl, i see them beating on them.

ThaChamp

« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2009, 07:14:48 PM »

if it is Saints/Colts in the Superbowl, i see them beating on them.

i could see a W for NO too

OG Hack Wilson

« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2009, 07:25:48 PM »
lets all keep in mind that DAN MARINO NEVER WON A RING

Quote from: Now_I_Know on September 10, 2001, 04:19:36 PM
This guy aint no crip, and I'm 100% sure on that because he doesn't type like a crip, I know crips, and that fool is not a crip.

"I went from being homeless strung out on Dust to an 8 bedroom estate signed 2 1 of my fav rappers... Pump it up jokes can't hurt me."-- Mr. Joey Buddens

ThaChamp

« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2009, 07:26:14 PM »

LOL

Chamillitary Click

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2009, 07:31:51 PM »

alright, it's in mind.

why am i keeping it in mind, again?

i mean, i know it's not because we're questioning how good Peyton is, we all know & have admitted he's great; just can't get it done in the Playoffs. ;)

OG Hack Wilson

« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2009, 08:43:17 PM »
do you guys not realize that Dan Marino wouid KILL for a ring?

who the hell criticizes someone with a ring lmao

marino is called by many ppl "the greatest ever"   (while i disagree) despite having NO ring
This guy aint no crip, and I'm 100% sure on that because he doesn't type like a crip, I know crips, and that fool is not a crip.

"I went from being homeless strung out on Dust to an 8 bedroom estate signed 2 1 of my fav rappers... Pump it up jokes can't hurt me."-- Mr. Joey Buddens

Jaydc

« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2009, 10:30:05 PM »
Rings are nice but they dont determine a players worth.In every sport their is amazing players hat nevr get to win the big championship.

Barry sanders in the greatest running back of all time and didnt win a ring.

OG Hack Wilson

« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2009, 10:34:01 PM »
Rings are nice but they dont determine a players worth.In every sport their is amazing players hat nevr get to win the big championship.

Barry sanders in the greatest running back of all time and didnt win a ring.

donovan mcnabb is one of the best QB's ive seen in my life and he's never won a ring

Chamillitary Click

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2009, 12:09:39 PM »
stop putting words in my mouth.

nobody is questioning Peyton being great; it's you people calling Tom a scrub.

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I never had a digital pic of myself before
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2009, 12:24:24 PM »
stop putting words in my mouth.

nobody is questioning Peyton being great; it's you people calling Tom a scrub.

You said he can't get it done in the playoffs. I say the best QB performance I've ever seen with my own to eyes was a loss by Indy against Pit. That's where you and me differ. You think a great performance is based around score, stats, or wins. I think it's based on performance in the face of adversity. The entire game Peyton was bumped, sacked, and had no one open, and no run game but they were still one shift to the right by Nick Harper from winning. And no other QB in the game in my opinion would have been with in 2 scores of the Steelers when it was all said an done.

What I saw from Peyton on that day made me realize how much better he is than anyone playing at that time and right now. He wasn't perfect. A rushed throw to Troy that should have been INT'd and two long endzone passes to Wayne instead of checking down for more yards at the very end for the FG were all Peyton's fault, and the latter could have been the difference. But in my opinion he was better than anyone could have possibly been in the situation he was in. Because no other QB would have had the chance to make those errors in judgment at the very end, because the gae would have already been out of reach..