Author Topic: William Gallas the villain of Arsenal horror show  (Read 386 times)

Elano

William Gallas the villain of Arsenal horror show
« on: February 01, 2010, 01:22:50 AM »

We have given thanks on so many occasions that Arsène Wenger is not an arch pragmatist such as José Mourinho — but this was not one of those days, at least not for Arsenal supporters.

Mourinho might overdo the rigid organisation, the risk-free football, the eradication of opposition counter-attacks, even if it takes brutal means, but all teams need a degree of defensive structure. And yesterday Arsenal were woefully, hopelessly bereft of those basics. It was such a chaotic defensive performance that no one could be sure exactly when William Gallas was moved up front to emergency centre forward, so out of position was the Frenchman on so many occasions.

As for Gaël Clichy, the left back was so outplayed by his opponent that one wondered if Cristiano Ronaldo was back on the right wing for Manchester United. Nani looked Ronaldo’s long-awaited heir, but he will have to forgive us for reserving fuller judgment, not only because of his inconsistencies, but owing to the haplessness of his marker.

Wenger talked about “naivety”, “massive individual errors”, “giving them too much room” and “bad positioning”. And that was after saying that he did not want to hold an inquest in public for fear of destroying his team’s confidence. We can only wonder how harsh the words will be behind closed doors.

The tape will be replayed a thousand times to discover exactly how United could pour through so easily on the counter-attack.

Where was Denilson, the holding midfield player who was not a sentry so much as a spectator? Why were Arsenal players repeatedly chasing back towards their penalty area in pursuit of United’s forwards, rushing to the rescue but always too late to put out the fire? Why was Gallas sauntering back over the halfway line when United’s third goal was rolled in by Park Ji Sung?

United’s forwards may be quick, and versatile, but to have been outmanoeuvred so comprehensively for those second and third goals raised huge questions about the defensive organisation (and Wenger cannot be so naive as to have overlooked his preparation) or, perhaps more likely, the concentration of his players.

Gallas has always had an erratic streak and this game seemed to bring it to the fore long before he moved up front, and missed a golden opportunity to score with his head.

The jitters became contagious as, with one simple clearance, Manuel Almunia scuffed the ball straight to Nani, who should have increased United’s advantage. A four or five-goal margin would not have been unfair, given the panic across Arsenal’s back line.

Pale of pallor, the blood drained from his face, Wenger had the look of someone who had witnessed a car crash when he spoke afterwards. He knows the damage was almost certainly fatal to his team’s chances of lifting the title, particularly with such a tough trip to Chelsea looming, but also that this was the sort of defeat that can have lasting repercussions for confidence among his relatively young side.

It was all the more galling for the manager’s confident assertion in his programme notes that his team would be so much stronger than when swatted aside by United in last season’s Champions League semi-final, second leg, also a 3-1 defeat.

“We are not the same team now,” Wenger had said. “We are mentally prepared for top-level competition.”

It may turn out that this was an aberration; an afternoon when United were a thrilling, unstoppable force and several Arsenal players just happened to have saved up their worst.

It is not as though defensive problems have undermined Arsenal during their recent climb, which took them briefly to the top of the table. Thomas Vermaelen remains one of the better signings of the season.

Defeat only confirmed what we had suspected — that Arsenal are a thrilling side on their day, capable of beating anyone but they remain short of the durability required to become Barclays Premier League champions.

But there is also no escaping that this was a defensive horror show. Time for Wenger to look to his defensive options, such as, er, Sol Campbell.

13th Duke

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Re: William Gallas the villain of Arsenal horror show
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2010, 06:32:28 AM »
Couldnt disagree with this article even more if I tried. I watched the whole game and Gallas was one of the only Arsenal players playing with passion and purpose.

Man United absolutely outplayed them all match, but in truth, never had many shots on goal. The true domination was the clinical finishing of Rooney (his goal was incredible), Nani's complete domination of Gael CLichy on the wing, and finally Denilson and Song being absolutely crowded out and controlled all game by United's midfield. Almunia being a shit keeper didnt help either!

In all honesty, the only players Arsenal had on that pitch that looked like they could make a difference (or even looked like they cared at all) were Fabregas, Arse Shaving, Vermaelen and Gallas.

K.Dub

• Magic
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2010, 07:17:39 AM »
WE - NEED - A - NEW - GOALIE

kemizt

13th Duke

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2010, 08:15:36 AM »

an actual striker would probably help you aswell. Get Shola Ameobi in on loan, he's a beast.

Digital Pimpin'

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2010, 08:33:46 AM »
Clichy's defending was shocking. I rate the guy, but Nani made him look like a schoolboy.

Don't think a GK would help you too much. I think in truth, Arsenal never replaced Patrick Vieira and that's the reason they never have the steel to see out the season despite playing some exhibition football.

In other words, you need a big experienced black man in the centre of the pitch...<insert yo momma joke here>

K.Dub

• Magic
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2010, 12:53:57 PM »
Clichy's defending was shocking. I rate the guy, but Nani made him look like a schoolboy.

Don't think a GK would help you too much. I think in truth, Arsenal never replaced Patrick Vieira and that's the reason they never have the steel to see out the season despite playing some exhibition football.

In other words, you need a big experienced black man in the centre of the pitch...<insert yo momma joke here>

Yeah, looked like it was Traore on the left back.

Thing about Vieira, I agree - too much. I miss him.

kemizt

Elano

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2010, 01:13:19 PM »

Arsenal never replaced Patrick Vieira and that's the reason they never have the steel to see out the season despite playing some exhibition football.

Vieira should have been replaced by a player like Makelele,or somebody like him...
They don't have enough weight in the midfield,I used to like Diaby and Eboue though (especially the first one)...

KURUPTION-81

« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2010, 06:37:23 AM »

an actual striker would probably help you aswell. Get Shola Ameobi in on loan, he's a beast.

I also think there midfield could be drastically improved, too many slight players who can pass and move but cant beat a couple of players with a moment of skill or put in a cross.

"My greatest challenge is not what's happening at the moment, my greatest challenge was knocking Liverpool right off their fucking perch. And you can print that." Alex Ferguson

Mac 10 †

• Hustler
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • You'll never ever win the big one ya monkey fucks!
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2010, 06:58:07 AM »

I also think there midfield could be drastically improved, too many slight players who can pass and move but cant beat a couple of players with a moment of skill or put in a cross.

Denilson is good enough but Song certainly isn't.
NO MORE WAR

KURUPTION-81

« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2010, 07:32:03 AM »

I actually think song is better than denilson lol.

But both arent good enough to be a regular in a team who wants to win the league. I couldnt see them getting in our side or chelsea's and they'd only get into liverpools because of how bad lucas is.

"My greatest challenge is not what's happening at the moment, my greatest challenge was knocking Liverpool right off their fucking perch. And you can print that." Alex Ferguson

StreetsAllSalute

• Muthafuckin' Double OG
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2010, 02:17:00 AM »

But both arent good enough to be a regular in a team who wants to win the league. I couldnt see them getting in our side or chelsea's and they'd only get into liverpools because of how bad lucas is.

Lucas has come on leaps and bounds this season...top pass completion in the league and 3rd ranked in most successful tackles...has bulked up alot and dosent seem to get bullied off the ball anymore...seems to have progressed in a similar way to fletcher(i.e not good enough but is now winning a lot of fans over)...just needs to learn how to shoot cus he does pick up some good forward positions....if he plays wednsday i gurantee we will outplay the arsenal midfield...similar to how him and masch did the united midfield

our problem right now is back up for torres...ngog is a good prospect but i think consencutive games is a bit much for him atm

KURUPTION-81

« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2010, 10:59:22 AM »

Lucas has come on leaps and bounds this season...top pass completion in the league and 3rd ranked in most successful tackles...has bulked up alot and dosent seem to get bullied off the ball anymore...seems to have progressed in a similar way to fletcher(i.e not good enough but is now winning a lot of fans over)...just needs to learn how to shoot cus he does pick up some good forward positions....if he plays wednsday i gurantee we will outplay the arsenal midfield...similar to how him and masch did the united midfield

our problem right now is back up for torres...ngog is a good prospect but i think consencutive games is a bit much for him atm

its not hard to have a good pass completion if your only playing 5 yard side passes, im yet to see him play an amazing cross field pass or a defence splitting ball. Or really influence the game in any way.

Comparing fletcher and lucas is a bit of a joke, fletcher actually influences matches and is held in high regard unlike lucas.

StreetsAllSalute

• Muthafuckin' Double OG
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2010, 12:18:03 PM »

its not hard to have a good pass completion if your only playing 5 yard side passes, im yet to see him play an amazing cross field pass or a defence splitting ball. Or really influence the game in any way.

Comparing fletcher and lucas is a bit of a joke, fletcher actually influences matches and is held in high regard unlike lucas.

simple answer is you havent watched enough liverpool games this year then..he's been better than mascherano....and no fletcher isnt held in particulary high regards...not even united fans used to rate him...same story with liverpool fans and lucas the lads only 22 and the only thing he's missing is goals...i will admit he was absolutely shiite in 3/4 of his games up to this season but hes been more or less our most consistent performer this year

not to mention he's bossed the united midfield the last 3 times we've played them ;D
« Last Edit: February 08, 2010, 12:20:16 PM by StreetsAllSalute »

KURUPTION-81

« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2010, 01:07:11 PM »

simple answer is you havent watched enough liverpool games this year then..he's been better than mascherano....and no fletcher isnt held in particulary high regards...not even united fans used to rate him...same story with liverpool fans and lucas the lads only 22 and the only thing he's missing is goals...i will admit he was absolutely shiite in 3/4 of his games up to this season but hes been more or less our most consistent performer this year

not to mention he's bossed the united midfield the last 3 times we've played them ;D

when fletcher was playing out wide he was poor there was no denying that, but the last few years he has been impressive. Since he moved into the centre he's come on hugely and in the big games out of our centre midfield he is always first choice with the fans. This is a player who has won it all and captains his country.

Ive seen enough of Liverpool to know lucas hasnt stood out, it may be different if you see him a lot more. As for him bossing against us, once again i dont remember his contribution in any of the three games. I do remember Mascherano, Kuyt and Gerrard hassling and not letting us play.

Anyway he must be good if he is keeping Aquallani out of your team  ;)
« Last Edit: February 08, 2010, 01:14:25 PM by KURUPTION-81 »

StreetsAllSalute

• Muthafuckin' Double OG
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2010, 03:18:11 PM »

Anyway he must be good if he is keeping Aquallani out of your team  ;)

Well you know if united can keep 20mill players on the bench..... ;)

aquilani will start wednsday though im guessing