Author Topic: Straight Outta Compton (ICE CUBE TO DIRECT N.W.A. BIOPIC)  (Read 980 times)

David Gutterman

Straight Outta Compton (ICE CUBE TO DIRECT N.W.A. BIOPIC)
« on: April 01, 2010, 04:30:18 AM »
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001084/

can someone get me some info?

is it about NWA?
« Last Edit: May 31, 2010, 11:20:46 PM by David Gutterman »

Blasphemy

Re: Ice Cube Movie: Straight Outta Compton (2010)
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2010, 03:18:36 PM »
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001084/

can someone get me some info?

is it about NWA?

Yes, it's a Biographic film about N.W.A, Idk if it's gonna concentrate on all post-N.W.A or what ever. IMO Eazy E will probably be one of the main guys. I'm not expecting The Truth from this film because we all know how Cube and Dre don't usually talk about there Pre-N.W.A days.

Elano

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2010, 11:51:50 AM »
lol

westsiderider323

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2010, 11:53:45 AM »
this will b a straight to DVD movie

Muhfukka

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2010, 02:52:53 PM »
this is going to suck dick if it even comes out

David Gutterman

N.W.A. Movie Gets a Writer

Andrea Berloff, the screenwriter of Oliver Stone’s World Trade Center, has signed on to pen another real-life script, albeit one that couldn’t be more different: the story of rap group N.W.A.

The movie is called Straight Outta Compton, named after the California-based rappers’ biggest hit song.

Original group members who will be portrayed include Dr. Dre, Ice Cube and the late Eazy-E.

World Trade Center was Berloff’s most well-known script to date, but it turned her into one of the most in-demand writers: She now has four major projects lined up, including

Jome

Who got access to IMDB Pro?.. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1398426/

David Gutterman

more news from XXL

Seminal West Coast rap group N.W.A are about to get a woman’s touch…a White woman.

According to The Hollywood Reporter, Andrea Berloff—the writer behind Oliver Stone’s controversial film, World Trade Center—has been tapped to pen the group’s forthcoming biopic, Straight Outta Compton.

As THR points out, it seems as if there is a new trend in Hollywood with Caucasian writers working on African-American-themed films, with movies based on Martin Luther King, Richard Pryor and Rick James all being documented by Whites.

Former group member Ice Cube and Tomica Woods-Wright—group leader Eazy-E’s widow—are producing the film for New Line Cinema. As of press time, Straight Outta Compton has yet to receive a release date. —Elan Mancini

David Gutterman

N.W.A. biopic takes shape: Your dream cast?
by Simon Vozick-Levinson
Categories: Casting, Ice Cube, Movies, Music, News
Image Credit: London Features/LFIOver a year after we heard it was in development, New Line’s N.W.A. biopic Straight Outta Compton has a writer. According to the Hollywood Reporter, Andrea Berloff (World Trade Center) will script the rise and fall of the gangsta rap crew. Producers include original N.W.A. member Ice Cube and the widow of the late Eazy-E.

No casting for this film has been announced yet. So who should play core members Cube, Eazy, and Dr. Dre, plus lesser-knowns like MC Ren, DJ Yella, and Arabian Prince? I can see The Hurt Locker‘s Anthony Mackie as Eazy-E — they don’t look much alike, but Mackie has the right intensity. (He doesn’t particularly resemble Tupac Shakur, either, and he did well in Notorious.) Ice Cube, of course, has quite the screen resume these days, so if all else fails maybe he can just slip on a Jheri curl wig and a few pounds of makeup and play himself at 20. Meanwhile, it would be nice to get some of today’s actual up-and-coming gangsta rappers on board for this movie. Maybe there’s a part in Straight Outta Compton for Nipsey Hussle, Jay Rock, or Freddie Gibbs?

I’m sure you can come up with even better casting ideas. Let’s have ‘em. And let us know if this is a movie you’re looking forward to.

David Gutterman

MTV:

Ice Cube Is 'Sad' Eazy-E Won't Be Around For N.W.A Biopic
He also talks about his Raiders documentary, 'Straight Outta L.A.,' and other upcoming projects.
By Shaheem Reid, with additional reporting by Rahman Dukes

Ice Cube outdoes himself as the director, narrator and interview subject of the upcoming ESPN "30 for 30" documentary "Straight Outta L.A." The film examines the love affair that Cube and many people living in Los Angeles had with the Raiders before they moved back to Oakland in 1995.

"Straight Outta L.A." also documents the origins of gangsta rap, including Cube and N.W.A's rise and how the group played a part in popularizing the NFL franchise by wearing Raiders gear. Snoop Dogg, Ice-T, MC Ren, Chuck D and various former Raiders players were interviewed for the movie.

"A song can take you back, but nothing takes you back to the time and place like footage," Cube said of the most interesting aspect of working on the film. "Footage of us in the studio, just being able to see Eazy. Seeing him with Lil Eazy, carrying him around. The footage got sad at times, knowing that he's not here to see any of this. We're trying to put together an N.W.A movie, and he won't be around to see that made. That's what makes it a little sad, going back to the past. But for the most part, we had a ball putting it together. I'm a big history buff and sports fan. Having access to [Raiders owner] Al Davis and having access to the Raiders facility, talking to people like Ren and Ice-T about the good old days — it was fun putting it together."

There's isn't too much info about the possible N.W.A biopic, but Cube does have his hands full with plenty of other Hollywood projects. He plays a police officer investigating dirty cops on the force in the film "Rampart"; they start production on that movie later in the summer. Up first is the TV adaptation of his film "Are We There Yet?"

"I'm not starring in it, I'm producing it," he said. "I got Terry Crews taking up [my character] Nick. It's a fun series. It goes right between Tyler Perry's shows. We got a nice slot. It's coming out June 2. I Am the West will be out July 13. I got a movie 'Lottery Ticket,' it'll be out in August, starring Bow Wow and Charlie Murphy. I'm hustling. Keeping it moving."

Dre-Day

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • No justice, no peace
by Simon Vozick-Levinson
Image Credit: London Features/LFIOver a year after we heard it was in development, New Line’s N.W.A. biopic Straight Outta Compton has a writer. According to the Hollywood Reporter, Andrea Berloff (World Trade Center) will script the rise and fall of the gangsta rap crew. Producers include original N.W.A. member Ice Cube and the widow of the late Eazy-E.

No casting for this film has been announced yet. So who should play core members Cube, Eazy, and Dr. Dre, plus lesser-knowns like MC Ren, DJ Yella, and Arabian Prince? I can see The Hurt Locker‘s Anthony Mackie as Eazy-E — they don’t look much alike, but Mackie has the right intensity. (He doesn’t particularly resemble Tupac Shakur, either, and he did well in Notorious.) Ice Cube, of course, has quite the screen resume these days, so if all else fails maybe he can just slip on a Jheri curl wig and a few pounds of makeup and play himself at 20. Meanwhile, it would be nice to get some of today’s actual up-and-coming gangsta rappers on board for this movie. Maybe there’s a part in Straight Outta Compton for Nipsey Hussle, Jay Rock, or Freddie Gibbs?

I’m sure you can come up with even better casting ideas. Let’s have ‘em. And let us know if this is a movie you’re looking forward to.

wtf, MC Ren & DJ Yella are core members as well.

David Gutterman

by Simon Vozick-Levinson

wtf, MC Ren & DJ Yella are core members as well.
I know, just copy past it.

Dre-Day

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • No justice, no peace
^i understand, was just responding to the article ;)

Triple OG Rapsodie

I wonder how they'll portray the breakup?

David Gutterman

ICE CUBE TO DIRECT N.W.A. BIOPIC

News provided by World Entertainment News Network (www.wenn.com)
2010-05-31 17:36:04 -

ICE CUBE has confirmed he will step behind the camera to direct the story of his legendary rap group N.W.A. in a new biopic.
The hip-hop star shot to fame in the late 1980s as part of the group fr om Compton, California, drawing attention with controversial tracks inclu ding Gangsta Gangsta and F**k tha Police.
He quit the band in 1989 after a dispute over royalties, and the remain ing N.W.A. members, including Dr. Dre, Eazy-E, MC Ren and DJ Yella, parte d ways in 1991.
But now Ice Cube is bringing their West Coast legacy to cinemas - and h e's recruited former bandmate Dr. Dre to produce the project.
He tells AllHipHop.com, "I think (a movie is) the ultimate... tribute ( to) the group and what the group meant to the world." Ice Cube made his directorial debut with 1998's The Players Club, befor e going on to write hit comedy Friday in 1995.