Author Topic: Did DJ Quick co-produce either version of California Love?  (Read 1247 times)

Unforgivable by Sean John

• Muthafuckin' OG
Did DJ Quick co-produce either version of California Love?
« on: April 02, 2010, 09:32:05 AM »
This is not intended to be a shock post... but I've heard rumors that he did.

Cali Love is one of the few Dre tracks that I haven't heard a co-producer associated with, so yea.

What's interesting is that both versions of Cali Love don't sound characteristic of Dre's or Quik's style. So who knows.

dnjp4life

Re: Did DJ Quick co-produce either version of California Love?
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2010, 09:34:09 AM »
As far as I'm aware he didn't, but it wouldn't surprise me if it turned out he had his hand in the production, especially of the remix.  Could be him on the talkbox?

Matty

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2010, 09:43:35 AM »
As far as I'm aware he didn't, but it wouldn't surprise me if it turned out he had his hand in the production, especially of the remix.  Could be him on the talkbox?

its roger troutman.

Dre-Day

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • No justice, no peace
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2010, 10:32:31 AM »
look at the credits, who you thought it was?

V2DHeart

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2010, 11:33:53 AM »
Sam Sneed
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/JWTNFUWa1PM" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/JWTNFUWa1PM</a> <a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/eE_ov9cPKxE" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/eE_ov9cPKxE</a><a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/53dftjKPTvU" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/53dftjKPTvU</a>

Jimmy H.

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2010, 12:27:39 PM »
:o 

As for this post, where did you hear said "rumors"? This smells of an attempt to start a rumor through a question to me. I apologize if that ain't the case but I've never heard of Quik producing anything for Dre before he he started Aftermath and even then, it was credited.

DTG Entertainment

« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2010, 01:04:35 PM »
Sam Sneed

This would be most probable, but I don't think Dr. Dre had a co-producer on it.

• Muthafuckin' OG
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2010, 01:40:17 PM »

As for this post, where did you hear said "rumors"? This smells of an attempt to start a rumor through a question to me. I apologize if that ain't the case but I've never heard of Quik producing anything for Dre before he he started Aftermath and even then, it was credited.

lol my bad if i did. I was on youtube last night and in one interview Suge was like "dre didn't produce california love'. but i would NOT take that seriously at all.

then a quick google search gave me two random threads from other boards where ppl were associating quik with the song.

This sounds NOTHING like a sneed production.

you know.. since it was written by J-Flexx... and it has Barney Rubble on the keys... it was probably created by that whole camp, so I'm gonna roll the dice and say its POSSIBLE there was a demo version with Flexx on the vocals and Barney Rubble on the beat. And then Dre and Pac turned it into the monster that it is now. For what it's worth, it reminds me of Barney's other productions (granted I have only heard like 7 (?) of his beats). But stylistically I could see him having an input in it.

LooN3y

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Paid Tha Cost 2 Be Tha Boss
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2010, 01:44:55 PM »
i thought he did co produce california love remix, but i wouldnt be suprised if it was completely dre

Tha Reella - Slap A Nigga Up Like Wyatt Earp / Sig downsized, too big.

Dre-Day

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • No justice, no peace
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2010, 01:58:43 PM »

lol my bad if i did. I was on youtube last night and in one interview Suge was like "dre didn't produce california love'. but i would NOT take that seriously at all.

then a quick google search gave me two random threads from other boards where ppl were associating quik with the song.

This sounds NOTHING like a sneed production.

you know.. since it was written by J-Flexx... and it has Barney Rubble on the keys... it was probably created by that whole camp, so I'm gonna roll the dice and say its POSSIBLE there was a demo version with Flexx on the vocals and Barney Rubble on the beat. And then Dre and Pac turned it into the monster that it is now. For what it's worth, it reminds me of Barney's other productions (granted I have only heard like 7 (?) of his beats). But stylistically I could see him having an input in it.
playing keys is not the same as producing

Cross Em Out

• 'G'
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2010, 02:00:34 PM »
suge said laylaw and some other guy did the track, and Dre heard it, and bought it off them

If anyone did any co production on the track, then i would guess that Barney rubble did, since he is credited with Keyboard work. Although the song is just a loop of a Joe Cocker record

MarshColin

« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2010, 04:01:30 PM »
Also Carl Butch Small is credited for percussion on California Love. Between Dre, Barney, and Carl I think that was probably the core team of people to make the track. Dre was the one and only producer in the literal meaning of it.

rollindown101

• Muthafuckin' OG
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2010, 04:13:56 PM »
Also Carl Butch Small is credited for percussion on California Love. Between Dre, Barney, and Carl I think that was probably the core team of people to make the track. Dre was the one and only producer in the literal meaning of it.

Yep.. this was solely a Dre, Barney Rubble, Carl Butch Small production.. Troutman on the talkbox, no Sam Sneed, no DJ Quik.

Leave the mastering to the experts and people who originally did it..

http://www.berniegrundmanmastering.com/engineers/grundman.html

• Muthafuckin' OG
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2010, 04:52:19 PM »
suge said laylaw and some other guy did the track, and Dre heard it, and bought it off them

If anyone did any co production on the track, then i would guess that Barney rubble did, since he is credited with Keyboard work. Although the song is just a loop of a Joe Cocker record

Do we have any reason to believe Suge on that one?

I mean, I guess it's possible that Laylaw had a cali love demo, Dre bought it, and then him Barney and Butch beefed it up into a monster.

Sidenote: who is Laylaw? I see him listed as a producer for Livin Like Hustlers, which was a classic of course... what else did he produce though?

Quadruple OG

« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2010, 05:05:37 PM »
the only connection he had to "California Love" was appearing in the Remix Video