Author Topic: Hip Hop Not Real Music/Rappers Becoming Singers  (Read 169 times)

KURUPTION-81

Hip Hop Not Real Music/Rappers Becoming Singers
« on: April 25, 2010, 07:47:02 AM »
Here in the UK Plan B has just releases his second album, his first album was straight hip hop where as the second is more of a soul album. Now Plan B isn't the first hip hop artist to do this, Andre 3000, Kanye, Lauren Hill, Ceelo, Miss Dynamite etc.

The reason for this is what i find interesting, now there seems to be a misconception that hip hop is "not real music". You speak to a non hip hop fan and they will tell you its not real music as artists don't play instruments, don't sing, swear and then the classic "anyone can rap, its just talking". At that point i usually sing badly and point out anyone can sing but there is a difference between singing/rapping well or badly.

Why do you think there is this perception that hip hop isn't real music and why is it that some artists stop rapping and become singers. Do they believe that hip hop isn't real music or is it that they will be accepted more by the mainstream if they sing etc.

The reason i ask is because in most cases the artists that do this are usually better rappers than singers but get more publicity/acceptance as singers.

"My greatest challenge is not what's happening at the moment, my greatest challenge was knocking Liverpool right off their fucking perch. And you can print that." Alex Ferguson

Beatzz

• 'G'
Re: Hip Hop Not Real Music/Rappers Becoming Singers
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2010, 09:53:16 AM »
and who says you have to rap for something to be considered "hip hop"?

I don't think when they're singing its more well recieved because people don't think hip hop is real music. Its because they want to make music thats relevant and fresh and probably be accepted by mainstream audiences more like you said.

Blasphemy

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2010, 11:05:40 AM »
Here in the UK Plan B has just releases his second album, his first album was straight hip hop where as the second is more of a soul album. Now Plan B isn't the first hip hop artist to do this, Andre 3000, Kanye, Lauren Hill, Ceelo, Miss Dynamite etc.

The reason for this is what i find interesting, now there seems to be a misconception that hip hop is "not real music". You speak to a non hip hop fan and they will tell you its not real music as artists don't play instruments, don't sing, swear and then the classic "anyone can rap, its just talking". At that point i usually sing badly and point out anyone can sing but there is a difference between singing/rapping well or badly.

Why do you think there is this perception that hip hop isn't real music and why is it that some artists stop rapping and become singers. Do they believe that hip hop isn't real music or is it that they will be accepted more by the mainstream if they sing etc.

The reason i ask is because in most cases the artists that do this are usually better rappers than singers but get more publicity/acceptance as singers.

1. Because we Sample our sound

2. Artist tend to go with one Trend, 1990s we had G-Funk and everyone raped the Atomic Dogg

3. Have you heard some of these niggaz? Sometime it is just talking, Lyricist never really did dominate the game.

4. yes, they want to sell records, and Hip-Hop while considered a "cool" norm, is dying out in sells because 1. Hardcore People do not support fake rap, 2. The Industry is being washed with all these internet rappers, and 3. Because it's the day of P2P sharing, and Hip-Hop Artist never really sold well to begin with. We go crazy over "omg he went Plat" and 2pac going Diamond, but in the end compared to Rock, Pop, hell pretty much every other genre of music, Hip-Hop isn't selling on that level, and probably never will because despite our mainstream right now, we still are the minority.

5.Hip-Hop isn't dead it's just mainstream hip-hop has sold out what it meant to be a artist. Grinding on your skills to get notice, rap battles, having a sound that made you stand out. Mainly because the internet has allowed any retard with Cracked FL studio, and a simple Guitar Hero mic to start rapping. Worse part is hardcore rap never really was in demand in the first place. Sure N.W.A, and the old West Coast acts sold on this, but that's because it was still new. Now people don't want lyrics that talk about real shit, they want party rap (Which Earlier West Coast Rap had taken part of).

6. In the end Mainstream is dead, it's bullshit, underground is where it's at. People bitch about Radio play, man Fuck Radio play, I don't need no Radio play confirming I listen to good rap. People bitch Constantly about some rappers not dropping albums but get a ton of free music that's pretty much 8 or 9 albums in all. Why do they need to have them drop??? Do they just want confirmation that the artist they like is hot??? Same shit with fucking reviews. Which leads me 2 my last one.

7. The Fans, With all the Dickriders, Haters, and fucking morons it's no wonder rap is in such a retarded state. Dickriders blow up artist more then they deserve, Haters don't give the deserved credit, and the Morons don't really give a shit about Lyrics, or any fucking thing. They don't listen to rap because of the lyrics, not anymore, no they only give a shit about the production. This is why Lyrics aren't focused on the mainstream artist, this is why they show ads listing the Producers as the main focus, and the Features being Secondary. This is why Softer sounding rap has always been able to sell.

The Chronic is the perfect example of this. The beats were all made radio friendly, 2pac's 4th album (All Eyez On Me) he had the best production teams on hand. I mean The lyrics cause Controversy, that generated free exposure, but the Sound is what helped sell the records.

In the end personally I believe a lot of mainstream rap is pretty much not rap or hip-hop, but nothing more then a Crossing of RnB now. people can take there radio play shove it up there ass. I'll take a unknown underground motherfucker who actually knows his way around the mic. Then some mindless retard who has no skill but dope production.

ikke

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2010, 12:32:41 PM »
Why do you think there is this perception that hip hop isn't real music
It's still a new genre, very different from other genre's.
Rappers use a beat not a melody (just in the production), this might make people think of it as something different then music

My mother didn't like hip-hop because "It was just like talking." Peolple sharing this view might go as far as saying "It's talking so it's not music."

why is it that some artists stop rapping and become singers. Do they believe that hip hop isn't real music or is it that they will be accepted more by the mainstream if they sing etc.

-Artists don't want to be boxed into one genre
-Artists want to explore their musical capabilities
-Artists want the CREAM

BOX5 the best poster on this site yell

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2010, 01:38:55 PM »

1. Because we Sample our sound

2. Artist tend to go with one Trend, 1990s we had G-Funk and everyone raped the Atomic Dogg

3. Have you heard some of these niggaz? Sometime it is just talking, Lyricist never really did dominate the game.

4. yes, they want to sell records, and Hip-Hop while considered a "cool" norm, is dying out in sells because 1. Hardcore People do not support fake rap, 2. The Industry is being washed with all these internet rappers, and 3. Because it's the day of P2P sharing, and Hip-Hop Artist never really sold well to begin with. We go crazy over "omg he went Plat" and 2pac going Diamond, but in the end compared to Rock, Pop, hell pretty much every other genre of music, Hip-Hop isn't selling on that level, and probably never will because despite our mainstream right now, we still are the minority.

5.Hip-Hop isn't dead it's just mainstream hip-hop has sold out what it meant to be a artist. Grinding on your skills to get notice, rap battles, having a sound that made you stand out. Mainly because the internet has allowed any retard with Cracked FL studio, and a simple Guitar Hero mic to start rapping. Worse part is hardcore rap never really was in demand in the first place. Sure N.W.A, and the old West Coast acts sold on this, but that's because it was still new. Now people don't want lyrics that talk about real shit, they want party rap (Which Earlier West Coast Rap had taken part of).

6. In the end Mainstream is dead, it's bullshit, underground is where it's at. People bitch about Radio play, man Fuck Radio play, I don't need no Radio play confirming I listen to good rap. People bitch Constantly about some rappers not dropping albums but get a ton of free music that's pretty much 8 or 9 albums in all. Why do they need to have them drop??? Do they just want confirmation that the artist they like is hot??? Same shit with fucking reviews. Which leads me 2 my last one.

7. The Fans, With all the Dickriders, Haters, and fucking morons it's no wonder rap is in such a retarded state. Dickriders blow up artist more then they deserve, Haters don't give the deserved credit, and the Morons don't really give a shit about Lyrics, or any fucking thing. They don't listen to rap because of the lyrics, not anymore, no they only give a shit about the production. This is why Lyrics aren't focused on the mainstream artist, this is why they show ads listing the Producers as the main focus, and the Features being Secondary. This is why Softer sounding rap has always been able to sell.

The Chronic is the perfect example of this. The beats were all made radio friendly, 2pac's 4th album (All Eyez On Me) he had the best production teams on hand. I mean The lyrics cause Controversy, that generated free exposure, but the Sound is what helped sell the records.

In the end personally I believe a lot of mainstream rap is pretty much not rap or hip-hop, but nothing more then a Crossing of RnB now. people can take there radio play shove it up there ass. I'll take a unknown underground motherfucker who actually knows his way around the mic. Then some mindless retard who has no skill but dope production.

so much shit on point my equal,but you can't fought artist who spit on fruity loops and cheap mikes,alot of the artist who made it big started off making tapes on like boomboxs and kareoke machine with cheap mics, it's all about your talent not equipment! hip hop is a release a way to have fun and be true to yourself, it's not about big cars,and expensive equipment and having cdq quality, a good song is a good song and dope lyrics are gonna be dope regardless of the sound, i swear  fans act more and more like stucc up record companies now a days, fucc if you are getting it for free why do so much complaining?, besides that i'm with you on everything you said yell
got a good woman at home,& this broad i smashed be-foe
but in my dome i'm think'n will it be good as be-foe
ring finger says, to don't pursue it,the "k-9" in me says
"ain't-nothing-to-it, but-to-do-it"/
but if we bang and i get caught OH-BOY-YA!/
i pray to god the wife don't get kelis or elin's lawyer
www.myspace.com/panhandoelrcorp

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I never had a digital pic of myself before
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2010, 03:56:54 PM »
Well singing is a nicer way to express yourself. Listen to My Girl by the Temptations or Unchained Melody from Ghost. If I could sing like that I would try and sing as much as I can, even in my day to day to life. You can also write nicer melodies for a singer than you can a rapper. And singing is plain and simple more universal than rapping. A truly great singer stopping in the middle of an aisle in a grocery store and starting to sing can impress just about everyone that hears it. A great freestyler or rapper will only get a small percentage of the people. And that's not a sign of the times thing either. Even in the heart of Queensbridge during the record release party of Murda Muzik and the crowd is waiting for Mobb Deep to come out and perform some songs and opening for them is a great local rapper who can spit with the best of them, work the crowd, and freestyle amazing lines, and a guy who can sing Stand By Me note for note like Ben E King, the singer will get at least as much attention if not more, because the sheer beauty of that song and the talent it takes to sing it like that trumps the skill of rapping.

Now why do great rappers who can't very well do it? Because deep insid they think they can sound like Ben E King if they work hard enough. They're better off working really hard to try and post up on Shaq.

BOX5 the best poster on this site yell

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2010, 04:04:14 PM »
"you rap for a living but you wish you could sing" - mc shan, that's true shit singing always gets more attention yell
got a good woman at home,& this broad i smashed be-foe
but in my dome i'm think'n will it be good as be-foe
ring finger says, to don't pursue it,the "k-9" in me says
"ain't-nothing-to-it, but-to-do-it"/
but if we bang and i get caught OH-BOY-YA!/
i pray to god the wife don't get kelis or elin's lawyer
www.myspace.com/panhandoelrcorp

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I never had a digital pic of myself before
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2010, 05:06:11 PM »
"you rap for a living but you wish you could sing" - mc shan, that's true shit singing always gets more attention yell

Now that means really truly sing. I'd rather be able to rap like 2Pac than sing like Usher, but to be able to hit every note in every style would be favored over any rapper's talent.

Action!

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2010, 05:37:51 PM »
I don't think it needs to be justified as music.  It is what it is.  If a bunch of people get their panties caught up because they don't like it, fuck'em.  If a bunch of hip-hop artist feel insecure about the art they create, fuck'em.
Cool breeze; I'm hopping out of new Beams
My outfit ran me a few G's but none of that will matter if you leave
I used to be an Adam with two Eves and shawtys automatically do me
Excuse me, all that happened before you doesn't matter
I'm a vision of the future climbing the success ladder
Recline, in the mean time, twenty three shine, diamond bling blind as I rewind
- Banks