Author Topic: Ice Cube: "Dre Wanted To Produce Amerikkka's Most Wanted But Heller Vetoed It"  (Read 1393 times)

INGlewood4Life

• Muthafuckin' OG
They had trax done during the NWA era when they was workin on DOC album!!!!! I was hopin that shit would've dropped but shit went bad thx Jerry ya bitch!!!!!

G-Funk

They had trax done during the NWA era when they was workin on DOC album!!!!! I was hopin that shit would've dropped but shit went bad thx Jerry ya bitch!!!!!

still, if Jerry & Eazy hadn't been doing shady shit there probably would've never been a Death Row, Chronic, Snoop Dogg, etc

Why people on here keep saying if dre did the lp.it would have been this or that.bullshit, this lp.was great!!from top to bottom..cube made the wright move..classic.
it's because people prefer Dre over the bomb squad
besides, i bet the album would have sold more if Dre was the producer
Since when have you cared about sales Dre-Day :laugh:

aaahahaha

J$crILLa

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • J$crilla -aka- JDolla$iGn -aka- $crillVille
great album. he didnt need dre for it

Dre-Day

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • No justice, no peace

still, if Jerry & Eazy hadn't been doing shady shit there probably would've never been a Death Row, Chronic, Snoop Dogg, etc
what shady shit? please don't back it up with rumours

Why people on here keep saying if dre did the lp.it would have been this or that.bullshit, this lp.was great!!from top to bottom..cube made the wright move..classic.
it's because people prefer Dre over the bomb squad
besides, i bet the album would have sold more if Dre was the producer
Since when have you cared about sales Dre-Day :laugh:

aaahahaha
not sure why you're laughing cause Dre was popular as a producer back then.

anyway, i don't care about numbers myself, but i'm just saying that it would have been a good move from a marketing point of view to have Dre produce the whole album.
the label Cube was signed to cares about numbers.
and 'the' fans would get what they want: a Dre produced Ice Cube album, sounds like a win win situation to me.

Dre-Day

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • No justice, no peace
I find it hard to believe that Cube would really have a hard time understanding why Heller or Eazy would make this decision.  Cube left the group, so of course the former members weren't going to be chomping at the bit to help out his career.  At any rate, he should be happy.  The album still turned out good, even without Dre's involvement.   
Cube actually had the opportunity to drop a solo album under Ruthless (produced by Dre), but he ran away so if anything it's his fault.

JohnnyL

I find it hard to believe that Cube would really have a hard time understanding why Heller or Eazy would make this decision.  Cube left the group, so of course the former members weren't going to be chomping at the bit to help out his career.  At any rate, he should be happy.  The album still turned out good, even without Dre's involvement.   
Cube actually had the opportunity to drop a solo album under Ruthless (produced by Dre), but he ran away so if anything it's his fault.

I agree.  Considering that he made the decision to leave one of the most popular rap groups out at the time, things ended up going well for Cube.  He's had a great career. He shouldn't dwell on shit like this.  Yeah, a Dr. Dre produced Ice Cube album would have been dope, but I don't see the point in blaming Jerry Heller for that never going down.  I wouldn't doubt the Jerry Heller did tell Dre not to produce Cube's record, but can you really blame him?  If people looked at that decision from a purely business stand point, and not just as fans, it would make sense.

Dre-Day

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • No justice, no peace

I agree.  Considering that he made the decision to leave one of the most popular rap groups out at the time, things ended up going well for Cube.  He's had a great career. He shouldn't dwell on shit like this.  Yeah, a Dr. Dre produced Ice Cube album would have been dope, but I don't see the point in blaming Jerry Heller for that never going down.  I wouldn't doubt the Jerry Heller did tell Dre not to produce Cube's record, but can you really blame him?  If people looked at that decision from a purely business stand point, and not just as fans, it would make sense.
you're right, but that's how Cube works.
after all these years, he's still shitting on Jerry Heller & he gets a pass for it.

you'd think he changed: i mean he got kids.
but he's not acting like a role model at all, when it comes to this issue

MarshColin

you're right, but that's how Cube works.
after all these years, he's still shitting on Jerry Heller & he gets a pass for it.

you'd think he changed: i mean he got kids.
but he's not acting like a role model at all, when it comes to this issue

I wouldn't necessarily say that he's shitting Heller with what he said in this. The article is the story of how the album came about and that's part of the story. But you guys are right, we can't be mad at Heller for saying no. Cube was basically an enemy to Ruthless and Dre worked for Ruthless. Jerry didn't want his artists playing both sides of the fence.

Triple OG Rapsodie

They wanted to sign him to a contract (the same kind of contract Suge had to threaten Eazy to let Dre out of). I can see why he didn't go for it. Though I read an interview with Ice Cube where he said he was still willing to work with them but they basically told him to fuck off. I see no reason why Dre couldn't have produced the project given that producers work on the projects of artists from other labels all the time.

Dre-Day

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • No justice, no peace
can you post a link to that interview?

JohnnyL

They wanted to sign him to a contract (the same kind of contract Suge had to threaten Eazy to let Dre out of). I can see why he didn't go for it. Though I read an interview with Ice Cube where he said he was still willing to work with them but they basically told him to fuck off. I see no reason why Dre couldn't have produced the project given that producers work on the projects of artists from other labels all the time.

Sure, I agree that Dre could have produced for Cube's album.  But put yourself in Jerry Heller's position.  If you have 30 or so rap acts (give or take a few) signed to your record label, and you have to produce tracks for all of them, wouldn't it make more sense to have your best producer focus his energy on producing beats for your artists rather than make beats for someone who just left your record label?
  I'm sure it wasn't just that.  There were definitely hard feelings on both sides of the argument.  But that had to factor into it, as well.

jeromechickenbone

That was really dope. 

I wouldn't change that album for anything - Cube coming together with PE/Bomb Squad was absolutely perfect. 

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/k6MlwT1lBk0" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/k6MlwT1lBk0</a>