Author Topic: Perfect Game Alert!  (Read 1016 times)

Halu Sination

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Halu Sination
Re: Perfect Game Alert!
« Reply #45 on: June 02, 2010, 08:24:46 PM »
I have to agree with what's already been said here. Jim Joyce fucked up an incredible day for both baseball (3 perfect games in a month!) and for Armando. Fortunately, Armando seems to be a very humble person who counts his blessings, so it doesn't seem like this will eat him up for the rest of his life, despite the fact that this is one of those once-in-a-career achievements for most players.

Joyce is lucky that as crazy a city as Detroit is, they're baseball franchise is relatively small. If this happened in NY, Boston, Chicago, Philly, LA, etc., Joyce possibly could have left on a stretcher and would be dealing with death threats for the rest of his life lol.

you gon always be my latin queen bitch

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #46 on: June 02, 2010, 08:44:14 PM »
It was a bang-bang play that left two victims dead.

The first was the masterful perfect game bid of Detroit Tigers pitcher Armando Galarraga(notes).

The second was the reputation of Major League umpire Jim Joyce.

Galarraga will likely move on with his major league career with the stinging Harvey Haddix-type knowledge that only one of the worst blown calls in baseball history prevented him from becoming the 21st pitcher to throw a perfect game — and, even more incredibly — the third perfecto this season and second in four nights.

You can't say the same for Joyce, a 23-year veteran who coupled his name with Don Denkinger when he inexplicably called Cleveland's Jason Donald(notes)  safe at first with an infield hit. Replays clearly showed that Galarraga's foot beat Donald to the bag by a full step and Tigers manager Jim Leyland chewed Joyce out — deservedly so — both directly after the play and right after Galarraga retired the next Indians batter for what basically amounted to a 28-out perfect game.

Unreal.

Watch the controversial play here

It's not hard to see why Joyce's Wikipedia page was vandalized within seconds or why FireJimJoyce.com sprung up soon after that.

Galarraga was cooler than you or I might have been, but even Joyce knew he screwed up big time.

"I just cost that kid a perfect game," Joyce said afterward. "I thought he beat the throw. I was convinced he beat the throw, until I saw the replay."

“I don’t blame them a bit or anything that was said. I would’ve said it myself if I had been Galarraga. I would’ve been the first person in my face, and he never said a word to me.”

Joyce is only human and you can bet that this call will spur another heated debate over expanded instant replay in baseball that might actually go somewhere. (It should.)

Joyce will also get plenty of rightful criticism over why he was ruling such a close play safe considering the circumstances. Yes, tie does go to the runner ... except when there is no actual tie and there's a perfect game on the line. 

But what's done is done and Joyce's latest black eye for his profession prevented the following from occurring:

• Fewest pitches (88) in a perfect game since Addie Joss' 74 in 1908

• Shortest perfect game (1:44) since Koufax's 1:43 in 1965

• The third perfect game in the 2010s, which would have put them one behind the 1990s for most perfect games thrown in a decade — one year into it.

Don Denkinger? You have company.
damn u still havent logged off...ur hurting everyone with all this wack shit u drop, it hurts more then getting the swine flu
Tue, Mar 16, 2010 at 8:15 AM By: Ice Cube
Me and Mack 10 together again? I never say never, but he has the kiss the ring first.
Cube
gbee:@ Petey: you sound like a broken record, time to grow up.

Jaydc

« Reply #47 on: June 02, 2010, 08:51:39 PM »
This guy has no excuse.

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #48 on: June 02, 2010, 08:53:09 PM »
jay or cham...do you say he was completely wrong in his decision?
damn u still havent logged off...ur hurting everyone with all this wack shit u drop, it hurts more then getting the swine flu
Me and Mack 10 together again? I never say never, but he has the kiss the ring first.
Cube

J.D. Wykid, Esq.

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Id rather be rich n unhappy than poor n miserable
« Reply #49 on: June 02, 2010, 08:54:19 PM »
jay or cham...do you say he was completely wrong in his decision?

lol

'Oh I can't see him, I can't see God', YA'LL CAN'T SEE FUCKIN' AIR NEITHER!
Quote from: QuietTruth
Prove to me the wind. Show me the wind man. I want proof of that shit. Cuz I don't see it.

Jaydc

« Reply #50 on: June 02, 2010, 08:58:49 PM »
i say he should be beaten to death in front of his family for that decision.

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I never had a digital pic of myself before
« Reply #51 on: June 02, 2010, 09:01:46 PM »
What a joke! This was a situation where if it even looks like a tie you should call it an out. You'll get way worse publicity being the ump that screwed over the perfect game than you would being the ump that gave one away. It would have been a lot worse if we didn't just have 3 perfect games.

that's the thing though, nobody would of said shit, even questioned Jim Joyce if he called him out & he was a whole stride safe.

now he's going to recieve death threats lol.

And what the fuck is Donald hustling so fast for? I would have struck out on purpose.

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #52 on: June 02, 2010, 09:03:20 PM »
did you lose money or your MIND over this game or somethin? lol

Cube

J.D. Wykid, Esq.

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #53 on: June 02, 2010, 09:04:33 PM »
What a joke! This was a situation where if it even looks like a tie you should call it an out. You'll get way worse publicity being the ump that screwed over the perfect game than you would being the ump that gave one away. It would have been a lot worse if we didn't just have 3 perfect games.

that's the thing though, nobody would of said shit, even questioned Jim Joyce if he called him out & he was a whole stride safe.

now he's going to recieve death threats lol.

And what the fuck is Donald hustling so fast for? I would have struck out on purpose.

naa..  if youre able to reach base you reach base.  you dont lay down just cause he is one out away.  id love to be the guy who breaks up a perfect game/no hitter....but not like this.

Prove to me the wind. Show me the wind man. I want proof of that shit. Cuz I don't see it.

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #54 on: June 02, 2010, 09:29:19 PM »

Nah, I just like the idea of a perfect game. And if I was the very last batter I'd let it stay perfect, unless it was 1-0 and my team needed the win.

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #55 on: June 02, 2010, 09:32:50 PM »
so even if it wasnt right...still let it be...some of you should never be refs... ;D

Nah, I just like the idea of a perfect game. And if I was the very last batter I'd let it stay perfect, unless it was 1-0 and my team needed the win.
Cube

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #56 on: June 02, 2010, 09:39:14 PM »
so even if it wasnt right...still let it be...some of you should never be refs... ;D

I mean as a player. If I was an umpire and I saw the dude was clearly safe I'd call it safe. But if I wasn't sure, I'd call him out.

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #57 on: June 02, 2010, 09:45:08 PM »
how is that fair tho...your sayin if your not sure...so your not sure if hes out or not...why go one way and not the other...there has to be a special rule for cases like this

I mean as a player. If I was an umpire and I saw the dude was clearly safe I'd call it safe. But if I wasn't sure, I'd call him out.
Cube

J.D. Wykid, Esq.

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #58 on: June 02, 2010, 09:49:25 PM »

so youd just lay your bat on your shoulder?  im sure the fan base and management would love you for that....

shit, if i was the very last batter id be trying my damndest to get a hit.  fuck just handing it to him.....odds are id probably be an out, but id never just quit.  and im sure the pitcher wouldnt want it that way, either. 

theremedy360

« Reply #59 on: June 02, 2010, 09:52:29 PM »

Sounds appropriate.