Author Topic: Howcome the West/HipHop hasn't broke a new superstar  (Read 1309 times)

love33

Howcome the West/HipHop hasn't broke a new superstar
« on: June 20, 2010, 12:07:24 PM »
Howcome the West/Hip-Hop hasn't broke a superstar in years?  The last big names to really break who sold millions were:

Lil Wayne (he's obvious been around but started blowing up huge in 2006)
Rick Ross (2006)
50 Cent (2003)
The Game (2004)
T.I. (really blew up huge in 2005)

Now the West has seen a lot of failed radio attempts to blow from artists like: Tha Realest, Crooked I, Sly Boogy, Top Dogg, Lil Rob, Shade Sheist, Knoc'Turnal, Bishop Lamont, to recent radio failures Jay Rock and Glasses Malone.  Then we've seen artists like Eastwood, Young Keno, and Ya Boy who never really got their chance.  The latest artist on the West to try and break is Nipsey Hussle, we will see what happens but judging by the past the odds are tough.

So my question is, howcome nobody in the West or Hip Hop in general has broke a superstar in the past few years? Since 2008, all we've been seeing is the same faces and no new superstars.

Teddy Roosevelt

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The Trust-Buster
Re: Howcome the West/HipHop hasn't broke a new superstar
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2010, 12:38:08 PM »
The West doesn't even get love from the West, so how is any new artist suppose to break out?

2dog

• Muthafuckin' Double OG
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2010, 12:54:28 PM »
Tha realest did break his last single reached #21 in the uk top 40 charts
Sig cut down, keep decent sized.

Can you picture 2dog's prophecy?
Stress in the city, the cops is hot for me
The projects is full of bullets, the bodies is droppin
There ain't no stoppin me

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/li_8xLaX6c0?fs=1&amp;amp;hl=en_GB&amp;amp;color1=0x402061&amp;amp;color2=0x9461ca" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/li_8xLaX6c0?fs=1&amp;amp;hl=en_GB&amp;amp;color1=0x402061&amp;amp;color2=0x9461ca</a>

MarshColin

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2010, 12:59:55 PM »

No disrespect to Tha Realest or the UK charts but this doesn't mean shit.

gio™fugahoo

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2010, 01:42:02 PM »
when u calling the game a (superstar)
then hopefully we see nipsey hussle as the next west/hip hop (super)star
when he not (crooked i) his album to long lol  ;D

i hope he is waiting for cube if the west shit is still sellin some units
and then he release a west/hip hop groundbreaking album
preach lol

OG Hack Wilson

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2010, 01:54:36 PM »
listen to the song "W's Down" by Crooked I and he explains it perfectly

it's no coincidence that people like Glasses Malone has more help from southern veteran rappers than west coast veteran rappers

Quote from: Now_I_Know on September 10, 2001, 04:19:36 PM
This guy aint no crip, and I'm 100% sure on that because he doesn't type like a crip, I know crips, and that fool is not a crip.

"I went from being homeless strung out on Dust to an 8 bedroom estate signed 2 1 of my fav rappers... Pump it up jokes can't hurt me."-- Mr. Joey Buddens

BOX5 the best poster on this site yell

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2010, 06:12:05 PM »
same type of artist,same dress code, fans want to same style beats,same attitude, one day muthafuccas who are fans of this west coast shit will realize it's alot of different type of equals out here, all equals who rap ain't gangstas,and all chiccs who spit out here ain't hood rats or just on that trendy clothes shit, all mexican rappers don't just do typical chicano rap, it is asian cats who can spit, youngsta's who know they hip hop history,and some old heads who can mimicc this tready shit and do it better then these popular artist out here, all this shit exist open your minds and go look for the shit,stop waiting for popular video shows and radio to dictate to you, stop worrying about if other people gonna like what you like,BE YOUR MUTHAFUCC'N SELVES, and alot of our shit is looked as OLD TO OTHER COAST AND FOLKS OUT HERE WHO LIVED THROUGH IT!!! as my lil cousin told me " man my pops wore khakis and chuccs bacc in the day,i ain't trying to dress like that old nigga i got my money up"  hahaha IT'S A NEW DAY yell
got a good woman at home,& this broad i smashed be-foe
but in my dome i'm think'n will it be good as be-foe
ring finger says, to don't pursue it,the "k-9" in me says
"ain't-nothing-to-it, but-to-do-it"/
but if we bang and i get caught OH-BOY-YA!/
i pray to god the wife don't get kelis or elin's lawyer
www.myspace.com/panhandoelrcorp

Chamillitary Click

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The greatest entertainer ever.
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2010, 06:25:27 PM »
Jay Rock is the only New West artist who ever got radio play in NY.

& only because he had Weezy on with him. :P

westsiderider323

« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2010, 09:49:37 PM »
same type of artist,same dress code, fans want to same style beats,same attitude, one day muthafuccas who are fans of this west coast shit will realize it's alot of different type of equals out here, all equals who rap ain't gangstas,and all chiccs who spit out here ain't hood rats or just on that trendy clothes shit, all mexican rappers don't just do typical chicano rap, it is asian cats who can spit, youngsta's who know they hip hop history,and some old heads who can mimicc this tready shit and do it better then these popular artist out here, all this shit exist open your minds and go look for the shit,stop waiting for popular video shows and radio to dictate to you, stop worrying about if other people gonna like what you like,BE YOUR MUTHAFUCC'N SELVES, and alot of our shit is looked as OLD TO OTHER COAST AND FOLKS OUT HERE WHO LIVED THROUGH IT!!! as my lil cousin told me " man my pops wore khakis and chuccs bacc in the day,i ain't trying to dress like that old nigga i got my money up"  hahaha IT'S A NEW DAY yell

my equal real talk yell

G-Funk

« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2010, 09:51:58 PM »
E-40 was getting some mainstream appeal a couple years back, even though he's been around a long time

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2010, 11:33:38 AM »
you can be seen all day,but if you have no artist from your coast who can dictate whats "in" to the mainstream and even the underground,they are not gonna get proper shine, i honestly feel if the bay would open themselves up more instead of just being so local they would have the game in a choke hold cause they are creative as fucc,but keeping that shit to they selves, made it easy for others to come along and take they shit and put it out there more, yeah you started alot of this shit and still got more in abundance but put it out there to world and not just your hood,blocc and area yell

2dog

• Muthafuckin' Double OG
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2010, 11:41:33 AM »

Jay Sean and Taio Cruz are two new UK r&b artists who both had US #1's in the last year. Amy winhouse, Coldplay, Estelle all break in the uk then goto the US. Learn your music.
Sig cut down, keep decent sized.

Can you picture 2dog's prophecy?
Stress in the city, the cops is hot for me
The projects is full of bullets, the bodies is droppin
There ain't no stoppin me

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/li_8xLaX6c0?fs=1&amp;amp;hl=en_GB&amp;amp;color1=0x402061&amp;amp;color2=0x9461ca" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/li_8xLaX6c0?fs=1&amp;amp;hl=en_GB&amp;amp;color1=0x402061&amp;amp;color2=0x9461ca</a>

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2010, 12:24:56 PM »

Jay Sean and Taio Cruz are two new UK r&b artists who both had US #1's in the last year. Amy winhouse, Coldplay, Estelle all break in the uk then goto the US. Learn your music.

you are right about breaking out there first and coming out here,but that works mostly with new groups, the baccstreet boys and n'sync did that shit too, but the realest been known and regardless what you think he will always be looked at as a tupac clone and with the pac novelty worn off people as a whole just don't care about dude in the states yell

love33

« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2010, 06:38:07 PM »

Realest is not a superstar by any stretch, I think his album sold less than 200 copies the first week if I'm not mistaken.  I hope he can do big things, but he's def not a star, let alone a superstar.  I think it's because the bootlegging is so huge now it's hard to break any type of artist.  And artists have lost motivation to record albums when they can't make any money off it.  You're seeing big names like Gucci Mane, Bow Wow, Snoop sell under 100k out of the gate, that basically means there's no money there once producers are paid and printing, production, and marketing teams get paid.  Nobody is making any videos anymore.  If I would've said in 2003 that the videos are only going to get worse and there will be fewer of them I would've been laughed at.  It's actually gone backwards with the economy and bootlegging.

However, there is some blame to be placed on the record labels and radio stations.  The greed has become so high that radio stations won't even support local artists unless they are getting paid by the artist or the label.  There used to be a time period when if you had a hot product, you would bring it to the radio and get local love from the radio DJs.  Not anymore, and the radio politics are to blame.

A lot of artists are broke now (don't believe them talking about their new cars, chains, and money, those are just lyrics -- most rappers are in debt).  But the main people who can help them are the ones who benefitted when times were good and made all the money before bootlegging was huge and made all the money on tour when rap was big in the day.  These people are the P Diddys, Snoops, Dres, Jermaine Dupris, Mannie Freshs, Jay-Zs, Irv Gottis, Nellys, Kanyes, and a handful of others.  These artists have really been no better than a greedy CEO at the end of the day and have been like a greedy pig hogging up all the money and shine for themselves instead of giving back to the genre they ate off that made them filthy.  They would rather hog up all the money and resources to make their own lifestyles huge, while the talented young and upcoming artists get no radio play, no tour dates, and no record deals and don't get to enjoy the very same luxurys that these OGs had as an artist to provide opportunity to succeed.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2010, 06:41:36 PM by love33 »

3rd Coast

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Showin naked ass in the great state of Texas
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2010, 08:50:30 PM »

niggas on the west aint tryin 2 go outside the west wit they game...they aint gone blow up over nite.. kuz like the rick ross's n waynes..they already had a fan base n built it in their regions the south..n didnt expect any handouts from the greats...took they shit to other cities with a team behind em

shit if u really want new west coast superstar..find a nigga that can spit..n send em to e-class down in dallas..he will make a star out of em..ask 50 , rick ross, mike jones

east and west rappers the only ones lookin 4 help when it comes to gettin they feet in the mix..

yall niggas need to stand on yall own two feet..if u cant sell yaself..u aint gone make it...

u think the waka flockas, gucci mane, soulja boys ran to outkast and goodie mobs

or the slim thugs, paul walls, chamillionaires,mike jones all ran to ugk and scarface to get put on..

hell nall...

cashmoney run to mystikal, master p n the no limit army..hell did p run to anybody...nope..

ion blame ice cube nem for shittin on the new talent out the west..niggas need to get out there n grind..

then legends dont owe nobody shit...