Author Topic: Jayo Felony should of blown up in 1998, but album didn't live up to single...  (Read 582 times)

TraceOneInfinite Flat Earther 96'

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Permanent Resident Flat Erth 1996 Pre-Sept. 13th
Jayo Felony had all his chips in place in summer of 1998.  He had a bangin single that really should of blown up on radio and video with "Whatcha Gone Do", but even though it didn't blow up it still received a decent amount of play.  The song had a feat. from Method Man and from DMX who was the most popular rap artist at the time.  I'm not a DMX fan, but I can say for sure DMX gave his 100% on the track, and his rhymes were on point; and Method Man was still at the top of his game at the time.

Def Jam is partly to blame for this album not blowing up.  Even Russel Simmons admits that they didn't do a good job of pushing their West Coast artists back then, he mentioned Warren G's label with Twinz and Dove Shack as an example. 

Still, there is little doubt that it was because of Def Jam that Method Man and DMX both recorded a song and video for the album, and also the rest of the album really fell short of expectations.  I doubt that Def Jam would tamper too much with the material Jayo was coming up with at the time, I would think that his joints just weren't tight enough.
Givin' respect to 2pac September 7th-13th The Day Hip-Hop Died

(btw, Earth 🌎 is not a spinning water ball)

doggfather

def jam isn't good for west coast artists... :-\ ???
https://twitter.com/dggfthr

HELP

I'm an ol' school collecta from the 90's SO F.CK DIGITAL, RELEASE A CD!

RIP GANXSTA RIDD
RIP GODFATHER
RIP MONSTA O
RIP NATE DOGG
RIP BAD AZZ

187Proof

• Muthafuckin' Don!
I remember "Hotta Than Fish Grease" getting some decent spins on the radio.

Elano

Jayo Felony had all his chips in place in summer of 1998.  He had a bangin single that really should of blown up on radio and video with "Whatcha Gone Do", but even though it didn't blow up it still received a decent amount of play.  The song had a feat. from Method Man and from DMX who was the most popular rap artist at the time.  I'm not a DMX fan, but I can say for sure DMX gave his 100% on the track, and his rhymes were on point; and Method Man was still at the top of his game at the time.

Def Jam is partly to blame for this album not blowing up.  Even Russel Simmons admits that they didn't do a good job of pushing their West Coast artists back then, he mentioned Warren G's label with Twinz and Dove Shack as an example. 

Still, there is little doubt that it was because of Def Jam that Method Man and DMX both recorded a song and video for the album, and also the rest of the album really fell short of expectations.  I doubt that Def Jam would tamper too much with the material Jayo was coming up with at the time, I would think that his joints just weren't tight enough.

That single still fuckin amazing, and the album is fuckin dope. fuck def jam

Paul

That im too sexy for my hood shit was gay though.
funkyfreshintheflesh

GangstaBoogy

That im too sexy for my hood shit was gay though.

Lol true.

But I think Def Jam makes sure to promote their West Coasrt artist just enough for them to recoup their money. Anything more than that ain't gonna happen.
"House shoes & coffee: I know the paper gone come"

OG Hack Wilson

def jam isn't good for west coast artists... :-\ ???

no label is good for west coast artists these days
Quote from: Now_I_Know on September 10, 2001, 04:19:36 PM
This guy aint no crip, and I'm 100% sure on that because he doesn't type like a crip, I know crips, and that fool is not a crip.

"I went from being homeless strung out on Dust to an 8 bedroom estate signed 2 1 of my fav rappers... Pump it up jokes can't hurt me."-- Mr. Joey Buddens

.:DaYg0sTyLz:.

Yeah, Def Jam wasnt the place to be for a Westcoast artist. That single was HUGE. It was nominated for single of the year by Source I think. But lost to Back That Ass Up. The CD was off the chain tho, just nothin else got pushed. Nitty Gritty was a better single IMO...Just didnt have the features so it didnt get the spins on MTV that Whatcha Gonna Do did.
"...and these niggas gettin tattoo tears...industry Bloods that show fear, when the authentics are near"

amazing25

west coast niggaz are either go waaaaaay to hard for the mainstream appeal but when they actually DO DO the mainstream shit, its fucking gay as hell, unprofessional and cheesy,.

Why cant a West coast nigga stay in the middle like Jeezy,Ross,T.I,Jadakiss just sold 400k with not much gay shit?

These rappers are all in the middle, not to gay and soft and at the same time dont sound like a 40 year old broke ass bum ass crackhead glue sniffer on the mic.

99% of West Coast Mc's that never broke the public are some paint chip sniffing/child molesting(wattup Dresta you fuck)/Herpies infested/not being able to read low life losers...Who da fucj would wanna look upto somebody like that?

We Got Snoop/Dre/Cube and Game. The rest are in the hood raping girls/abandoning children/making kids sell drugs and shoot guns/sniffing glue and robbing older women for 300 dollars and telling us that they are real and Game and Snoop are fake for taking care of their kids,helping people out and making a change...

If back in 2000 it was cool to be from the hood, these days its the other way around...Nobody wanna look upto a child molesting/super turbo gangsta nigga that has no money and nothing to loose...

Its 2010, a decade of Go to School and Get a Degree....Get Great Job and Hot Women...Its not 1997 of We are in the hood becoz there is no change/white people force us to be here/DPG Gankstaz,Fa Life,We banning/We Ridin/We Smokin

Uneducated dumb ass/bum ass niggaz.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2010, 04:00:07 PM by amazing25 »

Jeremy812

• 'G'
Amazing, you make yourself sound like more of a dumbass hater with every fuckin post. 99% of the west coast rappers are child molesters? If you hate west coast shit so much why are you in a west coast forum? Besides that you're obviously a fuckin hater with the 99% shit. There are bum ass rappers and yes child molesters all over the place not just California. Go put on a Justin bieber song or something.

west coast niggaz are either go waaaaaay to hard for the mainstream appeal but when they actually DO DO the mainstream shit, its fucking gay as hell, unprofessional and cheesy,.

Why cant a West coast nigga stay in the middle like Jeezy,Ross,T.I,Jadakiss just sold 400k with not much gay shit?

These rappers are all in the middle, not to gay and soft and at the same time dont sound like a 40 year old broke ass bum ass crackhead glue sniffer on the mic.

99% of West Coast Mc's that never broke the public are some paint chip sniffing/child molesting(wattup Dresta you fuck)/Herpies infested/not being able to read low life losers...Who da fucj would wanna look upto somebody like that?

We Got Snoop/Dre/Cube and Game. The rest are in the hood raping girls/abandoning children/making kids sell drugs and shoot guns/sniffing glue and robbing older women for 300 dollars and telling us that they are real and Game and Snoop are fake for taking care of their kids,helping people out and making a change...

If back in 2000 it was cool to be from the hood, these days its the other way around...Nobody wanna look upto a child molesting/super turbo gangsta nigga that has no money and nothing to loose...

Its 2010, a decade of Go to School and Get a Degree....Get Great Job and Hot Women...Its not 1997 of We are in the hood becoz there is no change/white people force us to be here/DPG Gankstaz,Fa Life,We banning/We Ridin/We Smokin

wtf are u talkin about?

The Westcoast blew up off of gangsta rap. But it wasnt just gangsta RAP....it was gangstas rappin. Back then, the fan base was mostly young males from the hood...and right when the West really took off, the fanbase was switching to young white males in the suburbs. They ate up that gangsta shit like they eat up the Mafia image. So everything was great for the West. As hip hop expanded and the fanbase changed to MTV kids and young girls, the "gangsta" shit became a fad. It became fashionable to be a gangsta, but the rap listeners (not knowin anything about the hood themselves) no longer knew...or even cared who was real about it. They just wanted a slightly more gangsta image then themselves, with music that you could shake your ass to. Westcoast artists have always felt pressure to stay true to the streets as a good amount of em are active. So thats why the East and even more so...the South really took off. Their rappers havent minded playing a gangsta on TV (even without bein one), and still makin music for little girls. There are real bonified street niggas down South....and on the East. But those muthafuckas dont blow up either for the most part.
"...and these niggas gettin tattoo tears...industry Bloods that show fear, when the authentics are near"

wtf are u talkin about?

The Westcoast blew up off of gangsta rap. But it wasnt just gangsta RAP....it was gangstas rappin. Back then, the fan base was mostly young males from the hood...and right when the West really took off, the fanbase was switching to young white males in the suburbs. They ate up that gangsta shit like they eat up the Mafia image. So everything was great for the West. As hip hop expanded and the fanbase changed to MTV kids and young girls, the "gangsta" shit became a fad. It became fashionable to be a gangsta, but the rap listeners (not knowin anything about the hood themselves) no longer knew...or even cared who was real about it. They just wanted a slightly more gangsta image then themselves, with music that you could shake your ass to. Westcoast artists have always felt pressure to stay true to the streets as a good amount of em are active. So thats why the East and even more so...the South really took off. Their rappers havent minded playing a gangsta on TV (even without bein one), and still makin music for little girls. There are real bonified street niggas down South....and on the East. But those muthafuckas dont blow up either for the most part.

At the end of the day....all these down South and Eastcoast cats playin gangsta on tv....deep down in their soul, wanna be us. Our rappers want the money these cats are makin...and their rappers wanna be gangstas.

Who was it that said it..RZA maybe? "There are too many gangstas on the Westcoast tryin to be rappers, and too many rappers on the Eastcoast tryin to be gangstas".

acgrundy

amazing25

^^ lol wanna be us...Be who? Broke ass bums? Mc Eights and all them niggaz that had 1 album or 2 albums in 95...What u think they were getting 20 million per year for 1 Gold album?

ANd yes, 99% of West Coast rappers are broke/in the hood/raping girls/fucking ugly hoes/smoke crack and get killed.

Wtf is Big Fase 100 doing rapping? Sounds like a broke grandfather on the mic, nigga is 47 and wanna rap?

BiggBoogaBiff

yeah it waz an okay song.  it should've been a Method and X collabo only