Author Topic: Gerald Green to the Lakers...  (Read 4474 times)

Sccit

Gerald Green to the Lakers...
« on: July 07, 2010, 01:43:43 AM »
Gerald Green was recently assigned to the Lakers Summer League team...Now, it's not official or anything, but I think he has a shot at making the final roster. He is definitely a gifted athlete with great ability and can potentially be a Trevor Ariza-type for us...Javaris Crittenton, as reported earlier, will NOT be on the Lakers Summer League roster. But Gerald Green replacing him might not be too bad afterall:

Potential 2010-2011 Laker Roster:

PG Dererk Fisher(U)...Steve Blake/Shannon Brown(U)
SG Kobe Bryant...Sasha Vujacic/Gerald Green(U)
SF Ron Artest...Luke Walton/Devin Ebanks(U)
PF Pau Gasol...Lamar Odom/Josh Powell(U)
C Andrew Bynum...DJ Mbenga(U)/Derrick Caracter(U)

U=Unsigned.

Potential/rumored signings:

Luke Ridnour- Rumor has it that the Lakers were in talks with Ridnour regarding a 4 year/$12 million deal before the Lakers decided to go ahead with the Steve Blake deal. If we don't sign Fisher, which is highly unexpected, Ridnour could potentially be the top choice to be signed as our next point guard. Not too bad...at all.

Earl Watson- Another free-agent Lakers took a strong look at before signing Blake. Ultimately, we went with Blake instead of Watson (and Ridnour), but interest in Watson will still be there if Shannon Brown or Derek Fisher decide to leave. Earl is probably the best defensive point guard available.

Shaun Livingston- A couple of weeks ago, Jalen Rose said that the Lakers were quietly looking at Shaun Livingson for the vets min. Livingston might just be my favorite choice to replace Shannon or Fisher, if either decide to leave. Livingston closed the season playing excellent basketball as the starting point-guard for Washington, so getting him at the vets min would definitely be a good deal.

Raja Bell- Lakers showed interest in Bell, around the same time the Mike Miller deal was in talks. Bell is a good shooter and decent defender, but I like the next guy much better...

Matt Barnes- He's been quoted as saying he'd like to play for the Lakers. The question is whether the Lakers are interested in working out a deal. We can offer him the other half of our MLE, and it may be good insurance at the back-up 2 and 3 spot, after Mike Miller decided to chase after more money than the 5 year/$30 mill deal the Lakers offered.

Kyle Korver- I don't know how genuine reports of the Lakers being interested in Korver earlier this month were, but Lakers are clearly in need of another shooter. Korver wouldn't hurt, but his downside can be Vujacicesuq, or even worse, Morrisonesque...Still, never hurts to have another shooter.

Kurt Thomas- Been hearing his name thrown around as a possible replacement for Mbenga, considering we decide not to re-sign Mbenga. Not too shabby, as Phil likes his veteran bigs who can give him 10 minutes off the bench, and Kurt would be perfect for that role.

Kwame Brown- Another rumor going around is that the Lakers may look to bring Kwame back (in a limited role) as a replacement for Mbenga and/or Powell. Kwame, despite his ability to defend the 4 and 5 spot with excellence, consistently gave Laker fans headaches as our primary big in the 1st round-exit era...but as a back-up, Kwame might just be the best available fit for us.

Juwan Howard- Howard is another one of those "10-minute" veteran type bigs Phil Jackson seems to be so fond of. Him and Kurt Thomas are pretty much the same, though i'd prefer Kurt for defensive purposes. Juwan wouldn't be too bad of a consolation, though, considering he was Portland's primary center last season once Greg Oden and Joel Pryzbilla went down with season ending injuries.

« Last Edit: July 07, 2010, 02:38:07 AM by NIKCC »

LooN3y

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Paid Tha Cost 2 Be Tha Boss
Re: Gerald Green to the Lakers?
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2010, 01:45:48 AM »
lol id pick mbenga over kwame anyday

Tha Reella - Slap A Nigga Up Like Wyatt Earp / Sig downsized, too big.

Sccit

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2010, 01:50:09 AM »

I heard Mbenga wants more money than the vets min, which is what the Lakers wanna offer...dunno why, but if he does, thats pretty fuckin stupid. Kwame is a better man defender than Mbenga, so I wouldn't mind the change (if it were to happen).

Halu Sination

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Halu Sination
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2010, 02:43:58 AM »

I heard Mbenga wants more money than the vets min, which is what the Lakers wanna offer...dunno why, but if he does, thats pretty fuckin stupid. Kwame is a better man defender than Mbenga, so I wouldn't mind the change (if it were to happen).

Mbenga is better on offense, but that really doesn't matter at all because Mbenga realistically shouldn't be getting any touches regardless. Kwame is clearly the superior defensive player, the dude shut down the likes of Tim Duncan and Yao during the 07 season. Only problem is, he's really fragile mentally. And that becomes an even bigger problem when you remember that he parted with the team on a relatively bad note. He probably won't sign here, nor will Lakers probably go after him.

Sccit

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2010, 02:56:43 AM »

Mbenga is better on offense, but that really doesn't matter at all because Mbenga realistically shouldn't be getting any touches regardless. Kwame is clearly the superior defensive player, the dude shut down the likes of Tim Duncan and Yao during the 07 season. Only problem is, he's really fragile mentally. And that becomes an even bigger problem when you remember that he parted with the team on a relatively bad note. He probably won't sign here, nor will Lakers probably go after him.

yea, but that's when Kwame still had hopes of developing into a premier center in the NBA...i'm sure he realizes by now that he should take whatever he can get.. not to mention, Phil always favored Kwame and was probably his best mentor/motivator to date. I also think Kwame is somewhat underrated on offense...sure, he has a lot of lapses, but when he gets into the game, he's shown some nice post moves that Mbenga couldn't complete in his wildest dreams. Kwame has the better footwork and offensive rebound put-backs, but like you said, neither player would be expected anything of on the offensive end if signed LOL.

LooN3y

• Muthafuckin' Don!
Re: Gerald Green to the Lakers...
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2010, 03:00:58 AM »
i really wish we get haywood, but its basically impossible hes gonna want money.

C - Bynum/Haywood
PF - Gasol/Odom
SF - Artest/T-Mac Or Bell (i mean this would of happened by now if it wasnt for lukes contract)
SG - Kobe/Sasha/Brown
PG - Fisher/Blake/Iverson (if we sign him for dirt cheap)

thats a 3peat line up

Halu Sination

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Halu Sination
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2010, 03:17:25 AM »

yea, but that's when Kwame still had hopes of developing into a premier center in the NBA...i'm sure he realizes by now that he should take whatever he can get.. not to mention, Phil always favored Kwame and was probably his best mentor/motivator to date. I also think Kwame is somewhat underrated on offense...sure, he has a lot of lapses, but when he gets into the game, he's shown some nice post moves that Mbenga couldn't complete in his wildest dreams. Kwame has the better footwork and offensive rebound put-backs, but like you said, neither player would be expected anything of on the offensive end if signed LOL.

That's true. Kwame was actually a smart player on offense, and there's a common misconception where people would confuse clumsy with stupid. He understood the triangle surprisingly well and he knew how to run the plays. He also knew some nice post moves, like you mentioned. Only issue was that he was clumsy as all hell, so about 80% of the time, he was unable to pull the post moves off. I don't want to say Kwame was underrated on offense because he still sucked, but he'd have a nice game every so often.

And in response to Loon3y, Haywood would be a pipe dream. No matter how badly he wants to win a ring, he's not going to take less than half of the MLE that we have left.

LooN3y

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2010, 03:22:01 AM »

That's true. Kwame was actually a smart player on offense, and there's a common misconception where people would confuse clumsy with stupid. He understood the triangle surprisingly well and he knew how to run the plays. He also knew some nice post moves, like you mentioned. Only issue was that he was clumsy as all hell, so about 80% of the time, he was unable to pull the post moves off. I don't want to say Kwame was underrated on offense because he still sucked, but he'd have a nice game every so often.

And in response to Loon3y, Haywood would be a pipe dream. No matter how badly he wants to win a ring, he's not going to take less than half of the MLE that we have left.

oh i know that hack, but did u notice u said WE?

lol change of heart?

Halu Sination

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Halu Sination
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2010, 03:31:19 AM »
um... what? I'm not Hack... lol

LooN3y

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2010, 03:35:09 AM »
um... what? I'm not Hack... lol

lol my fault, i didnt recognize you without your sig pics, it might not show up because im in china

Chamillitary Click

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The greatest entertainer ever.
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2010, 12:12:29 PM »
i really wish we get haywood, but its basically impossible hes gonna want money.

C - Bynum/Haywood
PF - Gasol/Odom
SF - Artest/T-Mac Or Bell (i mean this would of happened by now if it wasnt for lukes contract)
SG - Kobe/Sasha/Brown
PG - Fisher/Blake/Iverson (if we sign him for dirt cheap)

thats a 3peat line up

Give me the big three of Miami anyday. ;)

Sccit

« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2010, 01:21:35 PM »
^What will people say if LeBron joins Wade and Bosh in Miami and still loses to the Lakers? LOL

LooN3y

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2010, 04:14:01 PM »
^What will people say if LeBron joins Wade and Bosh in Miami and still loses to the Lakers? LOL

lol theyll say that lebron and wade couldnt play to their full potential because they need to handle the ball 99% of the time

7even

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2010, 07:02:45 PM »
Be realistic, guys. Fucking aging Garnett, half-dead Allen and burn-out Pierce joined together and won the title. You think LeBron, Wade and Bosh wouldn't? Be serious.
Cause I don't care where I belong no more
What we share or not I will ignore
And I won't waste my time fitting in
Cause I don't think contrast is a sin
No, it's not a sin

LooN3y

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2010, 07:20:16 PM »
Be realistic, guys. Fucking aging Garnett, half-dead Allen and burn-out Pierce joined together and won the title. You think LeBron, Wade and Bosh wouldn't? Be serious.

who are they gonna have has starting, 2nd, and 3rd string C,PG, 2nd string n 3rd string sf pf and sg

i doubt they can get someone to match up against bynum and im assuming jason williams is going to be their starting PG? their gonna do good i just dont see them beating the lakers in a 7 game series