Author Topic: What do rappers do after they're done rapping?  (Read 1237 times)

.:DaYg0sTyLz:.

Re: What do rappers do after they're done rapping?
« Reply #30 on: July 11, 2010, 12:02:18 PM »
you notice the first thing a rapper does when he gets some success is try to put some one on...thats in hopes that he can eat off that nigga and hang it up one day.

Thats why it was always funny when people would hate on Cube for doin the actor/producer thing. He's just being a smart business man is all. You can only be a gangsta rapper for so long. You can act, and make movies your entire life if youre good enough.

Its also good for rappers to get into the production side of music. You can stay relevant as a producer far after you arent relevant as a rapper anymore.
"...and these niggas gettin tattoo tears...industry Bloods that show fear, when the authentics are near"

ThaRealSupreme

« Reply #31 on: July 11, 2010, 12:31:03 PM »
you notice the first thing a rapper does when he gets some success is try to put some one on...thats in hopes that he can eat off that nigga and hang it up one day.

It's too bad that those type of rappers doesn't know how to run a business and let good talent go down the drain.
I stand before God when I say that I'm not a facade_Supreme

blunts40sbitches

• Muthafuckin' Double OG
  • The Realness
« Reply #32 on: July 11, 2010, 01:03:14 PM »
wow this shit is actually depressing as shit.....I really hope these motherfuckers are fake rapping about the street shit and actually went to college, loll

SO PRUP

« Reply #33 on: July 11, 2010, 02:19:26 PM »
Ja Rule owns a gambling website...

Lots of rappers still make money off of shows, I know one rapper from who I wont name that used to work at home depot and now he is a plummer and lives with one of the homies that is my age (Mid 20s) but he is in his 40s...

I seen Dresta the Molestor in Hollywood promoting clubs once...

Lots of them probably sell weed lol I used to buy weed from Dj Khalil before he blew up, I bet some go back to that after they fall off...

Krondon & Phil Da Agony live in my hood, used to see them niggas everyday, I think they make money from shows/features mostly...

I bet a lot of them just nickle n dime to be honest....

Sir Petey

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • ♛ bitch I'm flawless ♛
« Reply #34 on: July 11, 2010, 11:14:11 PM »
whoa...buddy.

a lil too much info being spoke on right there.

DJ SUGAFREE QUIK

« Reply #35 on: July 11, 2010, 11:59:26 PM »

Thats why it was always funny when people would hate on Cube for doin the actor/producer thing. He's just being a smart business man is all. You can only be a gangsta rapper for so long. You can act, and make movies your entire life if youre good enough.

Its also good for rappers to get into the production side of music. You can stay relevant as a producer far after you arent relevant as a rapper anymore.
True that! 

Nutty

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #36 on: July 12, 2010, 12:33:28 AM »
Good question, either they still do small shows or working a regular job..... or back to slanging, lol.

Cube's a smart man.

Stan

« Reply #37 on: July 12, 2010, 01:31:35 PM »

It's too bad that those type of rappers doesn't know how to run a business and let good talent go down the drain.

Well that's the thing... it is too bad but also realistic.  You can't go from being a drug dealer to rap star to a successful entrepreneur.  Correction you can but it is not likely.  I think Diddy, 50 are exceptions to the rule.  I think all these dudes tried the clothing thing at one point but the market got over saturated.  Here is one for you; how many rappers/groups have or tried clothing lines?
Snoop Dogg-  Is his shit still out there?
Wu-Tang-  Same as above
Outkast- Same as above
Jay-Z- Rocawear is still successful right?
Diddy-  Sean John was a success
Nelly- Have no idea
Eminem-  Shady was/is pretty successful
I guess it just depends on where you are in the country.  Any others I'm missing?  Still you can't rely on this anymore because there are way too many people doing it.

ThaRealSupreme

« Reply #38 on: July 12, 2010, 01:56:15 PM »

Well that's the thing... it is too bad but also realistic.  You can't go from being a drug dealer to rap star to a successful entrepreneur.  Correction you can but it is not likely.  I think Diddy, 50 are exceptions to the rule.  I think all these dudes tried the clothing thing at one point but the market got over saturated.  Here is one for you; how many rappers/groups have or tried clothing lines?
Snoop Dogg-  Is his shit still out there?
Wu-Tang-  Same as above
Outkast- Same as above
Jay-Z- Rocawear is still successful right?
Diddy-  Sean John was a success
Nelly- Have no idea
Eminem-  Shady was/is pretty successful
I guess it just depends on where you are in the country.  Any others I'm missing?  Still you can't rely on this anymore because there are way too many people doing it.

Rappers have to invest in something that appreciates value and printed logos on lame fabric isn't shit.
I stand before God when I say that I'm not a facade_Supreme

Stan

« Reply #39 on: October 25, 2010, 12:19:05 AM »
I gotta bring it up.  And I do this cuz I'm interested in the bizness part of music.  First off I like Bishop so don't accuse me of being a hater.

What I'm wondering is what is the point of releasing all these mixtapes for free?  I mean yea they're good music, cool for the fans, but how does it get you further in your career?  Better yet how does it pay the bills?  Bishop isn't on a major is he?  If not, this means that he'll never be distributed and blow up unless he gets back to a major.  If we get all this music for free...how does he get paid?  A couple local shows here and here?

Dre-Day

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • No justice, no peace
« Reply #40 on: October 25, 2010, 02:46:06 AM »
he probably has a backup plan, as he said on 'Hollow Eyes', that he wasn't getting paid at aftermath( i think he only received an advance when he signed with the label).
not sure how successful his tours were.

michaelraymccoy

• Lil Geezy
« Reply #41 on: October 25, 2010, 04:28:02 AM »
If your ice cube you decide to make a few c level movies then move into kid/family movies and then you decide you need to get more "street cred" so u go back to "gangsta rap".

Triple OG Rapsodie

« Reply #42 on: October 25, 2010, 06:35:21 AM »
I gotta bring it up.  And I do this cuz I'm interested in the bizness part of music.  First off I like Bishop so don't accuse me of being a hater.

What I'm wondering is what is the point of releasing all these mixtapes for free?  I mean yea they're good music, cool for the fans, but how does it get you further in your career?  Better yet how does it pay the bills?  Bishop isn't on a major is he?  If not, this means that he'll never be distributed and blow up unless he gets back to a major.  If we get all this music for free...how does he get paid?  A couple local shows here and here?

selling records isn't really how rappers make money

BiggBoogaBiff

« Reply #43 on: October 25, 2010, 06:45:36 AM »
it's back to Cocaine

darqawa

• 'G'
« Reply #44 on: October 25, 2010, 07:58:12 AM »
CUBE got to be the stand alone on the West Coast when it comes to longevity and keepin your money right.  I know there is Dre, Snoop but CUBE is still relevant even if it is movies.  He got major dough.