Author Topic: Jamiroquai Announce New Album - 'Rock Dust Light Star'  (Read 429 times)

Matty

Jamiroquai Announce New Album - 'Rock Dust Light Star'
« on: August 16, 2010, 11:58:05 AM »

After six full studio albums (the last one being Dynamite in 2005 - and ignoring the 2006 Greatest Hits album) jamiroquai.com have today announced a new album, called "Rock Dust Light Star", which is listed for UK release on 1st November 2010.

The title track, Rock Dust Light Star, has been heard by many fans already after it was first performed at a gig in London in late June.

This is their first album released through Mercury Records (part of Universal Music), after they left Sony Music.

We're delighted to announce that Jamiroquai’s new album ‘Rock, Dust, Light, Star’ is to be released by Mercury Records in November 2010!

Part of the news story at jamiroquai.com reads...

We think at a time when many acts are producing electronic, disco influenced tracks, with ‘Rock, Dust, Light, Star’ Jamiroquai has moved on and reverted to a more organic, live sound. The shift really helped revitalise the band who ended up producing a superb album - even if we do say it ourselves! We hope you all agree as you get to hear it.

Jay says, "Everything on the record is live. It's a real band record. The last, album – fantastic – but the whole thing became a little sterile. This time we’ve captured the flow of our live performances’.

The album has been recorded mainly at Jay’s home studio in Buckinghamshire, and also at legendary Hook End Manor in Oxfordshire. The album is entirely written by Jay Kay and the band, and produced by Jay alongside first time collaborators Charlie Russell and Brad Spencer.

The first taster of the album will be the rattling groove of ‘White Knuckle Ride’, available only on strictly limited edition vinyl prior to the album. It’s a hi-octane retrospective on Jay’s career experiences - a cautionary tale equally applicable to anyone’s life in these pressure cooker times. This will be followed by lead single ‘Blue Skies’ in November, an epic, blissful, sun-kissed Californian mid tempo song with lush string arrangements and perhaps Jay’s most emotive vocal to date - pure class. Make sure you comment and tell us what you think on www.jamiroquai.com

Expect international release dates to be on or around the UK release date.  The album is starting to appear on music store websites (such as HMV and play.com) for pre-order, which is where the plain black/white artwork image is taken.

http://funkin.com/news/3960

Will_B

Re: Jamiroquai Announce New Album - 'Rock Dust Light Star'
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2010, 12:25:20 PM »
Great to hear of a new approach - going back to their routs more than anything.

I was a fan from day one but their albums got progressively worse with each release, and I can only enjoy the first 2 these days (no hate).

+1 8)

Beatzz

• 'G'
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2010, 12:26:32 PM »
can't wait!

13th Duke

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2010, 02:40:21 PM »
Such an underrated band. I agree with Will B that the albums did seem to get progressively worse...but even the more recent two albums were both decent (and in a pop sense much better than its competitors). The first two were incredible and arguably even Travelling Without Moving too. Hopefully theyre back on form.

Will_B

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2010, 02:49:48 PM »
Played Travelling Without like a million times back then. Now I really only like the mega-instrumental Didjtal Vibrations!!

Jay's vocals are just too annoying :P

The production was incredible on the Synkronized album though ;)

Matty

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2010, 03:11:37 PM »
i'd say i love all their albums to slightly varying degrees and for different reasons, except for dynamite, which never really hit the spot or grew on me. a funk odyssey has always been been a personal fave, but synkronized is awesome too and the first three are classic. each album has a different vibe, the more recent being more pop and electronic influenced, which being a big 80's funk head is a sound i can't get enough of. travelling without moving definitely sits right in the middle, something of an organic disco fusion 8)

Will_B

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2010, 03:13:32 PM »
TWENTY ZERO ONE!! ;D

Matty

« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2010, 03:22:58 PM »
Little L is my jam, that shit is just so bangin' and groovy 8)

aside from DJ Quik, Jamiroquai are the only artist/group with more than a few albums where i own all of them 8)

edit: oh i forgot about MJ, him too ;D 8)
« Last Edit: August 18, 2010, 03:26:30 PM by Matty »

The-Leak (aka) kingwell (bka) JULES

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • ~TWITTER.COM/ITZJULES
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2010, 03:25:29 PM »
Wow, been awhile...

Will_B

« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2010, 03:41:53 PM »
I lost the love for their stuff when the band became non entities behind Jays ego ::)

The first album is a masterpiece of Jazz/Soul fusion. I was well behind the Acid jazz movement of the early 90's 8) 8) 8)

SCREWFACE

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2010, 08:34:29 AM »
Great to hear of a new approach - going back to their routs more than anything.

I was a fan from day one but their albums got progressively worse with each release, and I can only enjoy the first 2 these days (no hate).

+1 8)

word. want to see that spark back. they had good pop singles but the albums really lacked after the first 2

Matty

« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2010, 06:24:28 PM »
Jamiroquai - White Knuckle Ride Incl Seamus Haji Mixes-Promo-CDM-2010-UME

1. White Knuckle Ride (Radio Edit)
2. White Knuckle Ride (Seamus Haji Radio Edit)
3. White Knuckle Ride (Seamus Haji Remix)
4. White Knuckle Ride (Seamus Haji Instrumental Mix)
5. White Knuckle Ride (Monarchy Remix)
6. White Knuckle Ride (Monarchy Dub Mix)
7. White Knuckle Ride (Penguin Prison Remix)
8. White Knuckle Ride (Penguin Prison Instrumental Mix)

http://www.mediafire.com/?stj79qels1veczs

Matty

« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2010, 08:07:10 PM »
well the new single is really very dope! 8)

the actual sound of it is definitely on some travelling without moving/canned heat organic disco type of vibe.

MediumL

« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2010, 01:48:19 AM »
liking the new track and hoping the new album will do.
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/DjGVAwyb454" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/DjGVAwyb454</a>

Sikotic™

« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2010, 01:06:18 PM »
Virtual Insanity will always be one of my favorites. I actually have DYnamite somewhere, but forgot to listen to it all these years haha. Looks like I'ma have to find it.
My Chihuahuas Are Eternal

THA SAUCE HOUSE