Author Topic: bird vs james  (Read 1041 times)

Tha A

• 'G'
  • when it was good to be a knick
bird vs james
« on: September 04, 2010, 05:12:57 PM »
I was having a discussion with some friends about the best strating 5 ever and one was actually so confident about saying james is the better sf above larry. do people really think lebron is above bird? gimme a break, some of these youngsters need to watch some games and highlights of the best teams ever.

Controver$y King

• Muthafuckin' OG
Re: bird vs james
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2010, 05:16:25 PM »
Luke Walton>>Larry>>>>>>>>>>>>>Mark Madsen>>>>>>>>>>Lebron James

OG Hack Wilson

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2010, 05:25:50 PM »
larry bird > lebron james > magic johnson :D
Quote from: Now_I_Know on September 10, 2001, 04:19:36 PM
This guy aint no crip, and I'm 100% sure on that because he doesn't type like a crip, I know crips, and that fool is not a crip.

"I went from being homeless strung out on Dust to an 8 bedroom estate signed 2 1 of my fav rappers... Pump it up jokes can't hurt me."-- Mr. Joey Buddens

BOX5 the best poster on this site yell

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2010, 05:36:07 PM »
I was having a discussion with some friends about the best strating 5 ever and one was actually so confident about saying james is the better sf above larry. do people really think lebron is above bird? gimme a break, some of these youngsters need to watch some games and highlights of the best teams ever.
bird came in and lead his team to a title in his second year, labron went and got a boyfriend to get good, fucc individual stats,bird and magic could have easily put up more numbers but they wanted to make they team great and they did,labron want to play with his friends like a lil kid, he may have the greatest althletic talent but it's about more then that, bird got that,fucc living in the moment rate the truth bird got it yell
got a good woman at home,& this broad i smashed be-foe
but in my dome i'm think'n will it be good as be-foe
ring finger says, to don't pursue it,the "k-9" in me says
"ain't-nothing-to-it, but-to-do-it"/
but if we bang and i get caught OH-BOY-YA!/
i pray to god the wife don't get kelis or elin's lawyer
www.myspace.com/panhandoelrcorp

Tha A

• 'G'
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2010, 05:37:50 PM »
Luke Walton>>Larry>>>>>>>>>>>>>Mark Madsen>>>>>>>>>>Lebron James

luke walton is already a legend 8). I don't really care about lebron joining the heat, he does what he wants to do but I think that will tarnish his legacy

larry bird > lebron james > magic johnson :D

never that ;D... I got magic on my sig but I'm as much a fan of magic as I am of bird and I really can't say who's the best.

Tha A

• 'G'
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2010, 05:45:16 PM »
bird came in and lead his team to a title in his second year, labron went and got a boyfriend to get good, fucc individual stats,bird and magic could have easily put up more numbers but they wanted to make they team great and they did,labron want to play with his friends like a lil kid, he may have the greatest althletic talent but it's about more then that, bird got that,fucc living in the moment rate the truth bird got it yell

fo real. I don't really care about him joining the heat and all that but to say he's better than bird is just absurd, I mean he's a great player and just an out of this world athlete but he ain't toucing bird on a basketball court.

Chamillitary Click

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The greatest entertainer ever.
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2010, 07:03:00 PM »
If LeBron James played in 1980, he would be considered the greatest thing to ever play a sport.

Same goes for Kobe before you absurd homosexuals start crying.

The game changed, people are more athletic. James's build is BEYOND what was thought possible back then.

Larry Bird is a legend, with "rings" & was caught up in a Laker/Celtic rivalry.

Put him on an insignificant team during the 80's & he wouldn't get such recognition.

Saying LeBron is better is a stretch because people are ignorant & can't put together that the game was completely different in terms of size. Nobody LeBron's build could dribble and pass like LeBron can.

So if you judge it "by the book", you can't even compare the two, it's Bird.

But if you have an open mind & think about it, James.

Tha A

• 'G'
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2010, 07:44:16 PM »
If LeBron James played in 1980, he would be considered the greatest thing to ever play a sport.

The game changed, people are more athletic. James's build is BEYOND what was thought possible back then.

Put him on an insignificant team during the 80's & he wouldn't get such recognition.

Saying LeBron is better is a stretch because people are ignorant & can't put together that the game was completely different in terms of size. Nobody LeBron's build could dribble and pass like LeBron can.

not at all, you gotta look at things from both sides, what if players from back then were playing now? back then they didn't pay much attention too nutrition or working hard in the gym like nowadays, now athletes are more prepared as we evolved and learned more. I agree that lebron is a freak of nature but look at the rules from the 80's, you didn't have no handchecking and back then basketball was hard so that takes a lot away from lebron because his biggest strenght is attacking the basket and stop acting like back then there were no strong athletics guys that could defend lebron to a certain extent.only thing lebron got on bird is athleticism and everything that comes with it, bird is a better shooter, better passer(not my much), better at the clutch... lebron only got him at rebounding(not by much), driving to the hoop and man-on-man defense even though bird was too smart and also could defend because of that. put bird on a insignificant team in the 80's? how about the celtics, they were nothing in the years before bird went there. what kobe even got to do with this? and have you ever seen bird play, celtics games or games from the 80's?
« Last Edit: September 04, 2010, 07:46:54 PM by Tha A »

Tha A

• 'G'
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2010, 08:01:09 PM »

if you talked about the 50's/60's that argument would be plausible but not for the 80's. look at the people that bird faced, michael cooper, scottie pippen, dominique wilkins, julius erving, dennis rodman and so on... great defenders and athletic guys and bird came out on top most of the times. the 80's presented maybbe the hardest competition ever imo and on the court it wouldn't be just james against bird of course, the celtics had a great team like every great player who wants to succeed gotta have but bird also made them better like every great player does. now don't tell me that lebron due to his out of this world athleticism would be the best thing ever in the 80's, basketball was hard back then, unless he could develop his game a lot more his athleticism would not make him more than he is now, and with this I'm not saying he's not a great player and could go down as one of the greatest.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2010, 08:03:09 PM by Tha A »

OG Hack Wilson

« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2010, 08:04:40 PM »
cham is right in the fact that Lebron back in the 1980s would be the best physical speciman in NBA history

but it all depends on team mates

Magic had KAREEM plus Worthy and several others

Bird had the Chief and Kevin McHale

MJ had Pippen, Rodman and great situation players like Steve Kerr

Quote from: Now_I_Know on September 10, 2001, 04:19:36 PM
This guy aint no crip, and I'm 100% sure on that because he doesn't type like a crip, I know crips, and that fool is not a crip.

"I went from being homeless strung out on Dust to an 8 bedroom estate signed 2 1 of my fav rappers... Pump it up jokes can't hurt me."-- Mr. Joey Buddens

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I never had a digital pic of myself before
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2010, 08:10:42 PM »

That's a crock of shit. Jordan wasn't any more athletic in the 90s than he was in the 80s and no one was calling him better than Bird and Magic in the 80s. And Jordan was never any less of a build than Kobe is now and Kobe s on top the league, just like Jordan would be if he played now. Whether it's Jordan 88 or Jordan 98. And if Larry Bird was on the Celts this and last year instead of Pierce, Kobe never would have gotten his 4th or 5th rings.

Larry was never the most athletic. He was the smartest. Yeah, I get it, LeBron has the build of an outside linebacker, but he wouldn't be any more dominant in the 80s than Jordan was.

Chamillitary Click

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2010, 09:58:11 PM »

That's a crock of shit. Jordan wasn't any more athletic in the 90s than he was in the 80s and no one was calling him better than Bird and Magic in the 80s. And Jordan was never any less of a build than Kobe is now and Kobe s on top the league, just like Jordan would be if he played now. Whether it's Jordan 88 or Jordan 98. And if Larry Bird was on the Celts this and last year instead of Pierce, Kobe never would have gotten his 4th or 5th rings.

Larry was never the most athletic. He was the smartest. Yeah, I get it, LeBron has the build of an outside linebacker, but he wouldn't be any more dominant in the 80s than Jordan was.

I disagree and will continue to because you cannot provide substancial evidence to prove me wrong. It's not possible to have any, it's a question of faith.

And anyway, this is a question of LeBron or Bird. Bird has shooting, no question at all. But every other category goes to LeBron; driving, passing, handeling, defense, on the break, etc.

& nobody said Jordan was better in the 80's because Jordan didn't have any rings. I don't know who came up with this ring argument, but it's driving me crazy lol. It's like people are completely blind to the thought, regardless if Magic & Bird were the best players, they EASILY had the best support in the entire league. Magic had two future HOFers; as did Bird lol.

You used it for Peyton, it applies here. Hypothetically speaking, lets say LeBron won last year. I think it's basically safe to say that it would have been one of the worst overall teams to win a Final ever.

I can't really speak for before the 90's besides the 80's Lakers/Celtics, but if they won last year they easily would have been the worst overall team to win a Final in the past twenty years lol.

People need to get past the rings & realize this guy is averaging like 30, 7 & 7 in his career; obviously one of the greatest players.

Chamillitary Click

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2010, 10:09:16 PM »

not at all, you gotta look at things from both sides, what if players from back then were playing now? back then they didn't pay much attention too nutrition or working hard in the gym like nowadays, now athletes are more prepared as we evolved and learned more. I agree that lebron is a freak of nature but look at the rules from the 80's, you didn't have no handchecking and back then basketball was hard so that takes a lot away from lebron because his biggest strenght is attacking the basket and stop acting like back then there were no strong athletics guys that could defend lebron to a certain extent.only thing lebron got on bird is athleticism and everything that comes with it, bird is a better shooter, better passer(not my much), better at the clutch... lebron only got him at rebounding(not by much), driving to the hoop and man-on-man defense even though bird was too smart and also could defend because of that. put bird on a insignificant team in the 80's? how about the celtics, they were nothing in the years before bird went there. what kobe even got to do with this? and have you ever seen bird play, celtics games or games from the 80's?

Better passer? Sure Larry Bird was smart with the ball, but LeBron has already been touted as arguably the best passer ever lol. & he has "nothing else"? Like I said above, Bird easily has shooting & forever will. Clutch is just a intangible that cannot be proven; because people love to forget LeBron scored 29 or the final 30 points in Game 7 against Detroit in 2006. If I had a nickel for every time somebody told me LeBron isn't clutch & then when I bring up that game they say "well one game"...lmao.

Anyway LeBron has passing, rebounding, driving, dribbling, defense, better on the break offensively & defensively and anything else you can see & not just make up in these imaginary "clutch", "desire", "heart", "leadership" statistics lol.

I'd love to see a play where the Celtics turned it over, the other team was on the break & Larry Bird ran 100 feet down the court, came from behind, pinned the man on the break on the boards, took the rebound, and took it all the way back by himself, splitting defenders.

Speaking of these "clutch stats" I bet if you actually did the math behind it, Larry Bird (lets just say) was a 40% career 3pt shooter & I bet "in the clutch" he hit 40% of his 3pt shots. In the end, there is no "he stepped up", he just stay consistant.

& I'm saying, put Bird on a team that never won, making him ringless for his career & wasn't involved in the NBA's greatest rivalry & he wouldn't be as highly touted. & you say, they were insignificant before him; don't even front like those 80's Celtics teams, from starters to bench players weren't amazing. It wasn't "Larry carrying the load", it was a great team.

& finally, I only said Kobe because once you put LeBron on a pedistal like I just did here, it's only a matter of time before somebody catches feelings that Kobe isn't standing next to him. So I'm saying, Kobe & LeBron are interchangable in this vs. Bird debate.

Tha A

• 'G'
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2010, 02:11:45 AM »

Better passer? Sure Larry Bird was smart with the ball, but LeBron has already been touted as arguably the best passer ever lol. & he has "nothing else"? Like I said above, Bird easily has shooting & forever will. Clutch is just a intangible that cannot be proven; because people love to forget LeBron scored 29 or the final 30 points in Game 7 against Detroit in 2006. If I had a nickel for every time somebody told me LeBron isn't clutch & then when I bring up that game they say "well one game"...lmao.

Anyway LeBron has passing, rebounding, driving, dribbling, defense, better on the break offensively & defensively and anything else you can see & not just make up in these imaginary "clutch", "desire", "heart", "leadership" statistics lol.

I'd love to see a play where the Celtics turned it over, the other team was on the break & Larry Bird ran 100 feet down the court, came from behind, pinned the man on the break on the boards, took the rebound, and took it all the way back by himself, splitting defenders.

Speaking of these "clutch stats" I bet if you actually did the math behind it, Larry Bird (lets just say) was a 40% career 3pt shooter & I bet "in the clutch" he hit 40% of his 3pt shots. In the end, there is no "he stepped up", he just stay consistant.

& I'm saying, put Bird on a team that never won, making him ringless for his career & wasn't involved in the NBA's greatest rivalry & he wouldn't be as highly touted. & you say, they were insignificant before him; don't even front like those 80's Celtics teams, from starters to bench players weren't amazing. It wasn't "Larry carrying the load", it was a great team.

& finally, I only said Kobe because once you put LeBron on a pedistal like I just did here, it's only a matter of time before somebody catches feelings that Kobe isn't standing next to him. So I'm saying, Kobe & LeBron are interchangable in this vs. Bird debate.

best passer ever? are you kidding me right? have you ever seen bird passing abilities? he did not have the ball everytime like lebron does and still managed to get many assists and his passing abilities were just crazy. and have did I say lebron isn't clutch? he still got to prove himself but I never said that. and you just defined that larry is clutch, he staid consistant in those big moments, that's what clutch is, people just like to say stepped up. have you ever played any kind of sport? some people fold under pressure and cannot perform well, some people not, even I think it was larry who said once that he did that all the time, when asked how he did that shot on the last seconds. the 1979 celtics were 29–53, when bird arrived they went 61-21 without mchale or parish, and they were good/great players but with bird they became hall of famers something they would not do on their own. like I've said, have you ever seen bird play?
« Last Edit: September 05, 2010, 07:12:16 AM by Tha A »

wcsoldier

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • 12/20/09 - Welcome to the little Anna
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2010, 02:50:42 AM »
I'm always amazed how B-Ball fans are obssesed with comparing players ...

Did Bird and Bron play in the same era ? no , did they matchup against each other ? no ... end of discussion