Author Topic: Baseball misses Barry Bonds  (Read 626 times)

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I never had a digital pic of myself before
Re: Baseball misses Barry Bonds
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2010, 12:57:05 PM »
Barry Bonds... GOAT of his era  8)

Fuck outta here, GOAT, period. 8)

Homerun king, five tool player; unreal. Shame he didn't get to go out on his own terms & won't be celebrated for being the greatest.

Ruth >>> Bonds

Let me know when Bonds has the lowest ERA in World Series history lol.

lol, that's fucked up though.

Different times, but I guess you're right.

Whatever, post Babe, Bonds is GOAT. 8)

Let me just add, that if it was really a different time then you'd see more homerun beasts that were also Cy Young caliber pitchers. As far as I know there were only ever two pro players that were king hitters and king pitchers. Babe Ruth and Satchel Paige.

Chamillitary Click

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The greatest entertainer ever.
« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2010, 02:04:49 PM »

Homerun king, five tool player; unreal. Shame he didn't get to go out on his own terms & won't be celebrated for being the greatest.

Ruth >>> Bonds

Let me just add, that if it was really a different time then you'd see more homerun beasts that were also Cy Young caliber pitchers. As far as I know there were only ever two pro players that were king hitters and king pitchers. Babe Ruth and Satchel Paige.

In today's game, once you hit High School, if you're a dominating, college-level pitcher, you'll never bat; it's almost an unwritten rule to protect you.

I mean, I suppose you could find a product like that out of DR or PR, but no kid in the states will get exploited like that to be the best at both.

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2010, 06:52:33 AM »

Ruth >>> Bonds

In today's game, once you hit High School, if you're a dominating, college-level pitcher, you'll never bat; it's almost an unwritten rule to protect you.

I mean, I suppose you could find a product like that out of DR or PR, but no kid in the states will get exploited like that to be the best at both.

Neither was Ruth. He came up a pitcher. A star pitcher at a very young age. Pitchers would bat like they do in the NL. They saw him hit and suggested he should hit more. The first year they transitioned him. In 1918 Ruth was 13-7 for a 2.22 ERA and 18 completes. That year he also lead the league in HRs despite only batting about half the ABs. So they said. If a guy can lead the league in HRs with half the at bats, let's see what he can do with a full AB. He tripled his HR output. The year after that he set the record.

Babe Ruth is not a product of his era. He is a beast of talent that was so good it wouldn't matter where he played. The 20s, the 70s, today, or a 100 years from now. That's why in all the years of baseball there haven't been any other flukes since Babe Ruth the amazing pitcher was allowed to bat more.

Javier

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2010, 07:31:02 AM »
Great pitchers are "babied" since HS, especially if they're signed by a ML team.  There are always cases in every draft where a player is looked at X amount of teams as a pitcher, and Y amount of teams as a hitter.  And it's worse if you just start off as a batter, because unless there is 18+inning game, that player will never get to pitch in a professional game.  And pitchers, no matter how good of a hitter they seem to be a at a young age will never be told by a coach/manager that he should hit more.

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2010, 09:02:13 AM »
Great pitchers are "babied" since HS, especially if they're signed by a ML team.  There are always cases in every draft where a player is looked at X amount of teams as a pitcher, and Y amount of teams as a hitter.  And it's worse if you just start off as a batter, because unless there is 18+inning game, that player will never get to pitch in a professional game.  And pitchers, no matter how good of a hitter they seem to be a at a young age will never be told by a coach/manager that he should hit more.

You show me a pitcher in practice that can hit 460 foot bombs and told to stay pitching and forget batting and I'll agree with you. Where are all the other pitchers from Ruth's era that became full time hitters? Show me them. People make it seem like every 5th pitcher was becoming a batter after his 5th year and Ruth just happened to be the one that became good at it.

The truth is that 1918 Ruth is the most valuable player in MLB history and it's not even close.

Javier

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #20 on: September 10, 2010, 09:18:31 AM »
James Loney was a much better pitcher in HS.  Dodgers were one of the few teams that actually liked him as a hitter instead.  He was on top of many lists as a pitcher, and probably would have been an average pitcher or who knows he could have developed into an ace.  That's the thing, one this guy turned 18 and he was drafted as hitter.  Unless you fail as a pitcher, and this gets harder and harder as the years go by.  That's why the Ankiel story is amazing.  Back to the Loney situation, the scouts of today are much more advanced and know if a player is suited to be a a hitter or a pitcher(if of course they excel in both).  If a Babe Ruth comes up as a HS Senior in next year's June draft, he'll get picked up as a hitter and his career as a pitcher will never happen.

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #21 on: September 10, 2010, 09:33:43 AM »
James Loney was a much better pitcher in HS.  Dodgers were one of the few teams that actually liked him as a hitter instead.  He was on top of many lists as a pitcher, and probably would have been an average pitcher or who knows he could have developed into an ace.  That's the thing, one this guy turned 18 and he was drafted as hitter.  Unless you fail as a pitcher, and this gets harder and harder as the years go by.  That's why the Ankiel story is amazing.  Back to the Loney situation, the scouts of today are much more advanced and know if a player is suited to be a a hitter or a pitcher(if of course they excel in both).  If a Babe Ruth comes up as a HS Senior in next year's June draft, he'll get picked up as a hitter and his career as a pitcher will never happen.

Well there really is no record of what Ruth was like in his HS years. We know that at 18 he was picked up in the minors as a pitcher and then won World Series games as a a pitcher, and lead the league in HRs the same year. James fucking Loney can't even hit more than 15 HRs a season, and he'd have to be two times better as a pitcher than a batter to be half as good as Ruth was as a pitcher.

If an MLB scout saw a 16 year old throw the ball 95+ mph and hit the ball 450+ feet and do each consistently they'd bring that kid up as both and decide to do later, or let him play both. But these people simply don't exist; except for Babe Ruth and Satchel Paige.

Javier

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #22 on: September 10, 2010, 09:41:22 AM »
I'm not saying James Loney is even an average player though, I really don't even want him on the team.  My point with Loney is that he's one of dozens of players every year that are on top of scouts lists as pitchers and hitters but only get to do one.  Even with the 95+ and HR power example, a team would rather see the player concentrate on one thing to maximize the talent. 

you gon always be my latin queen bitch

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #23 on: September 10, 2010, 10:00:42 AM »
Bring him back he needs a job and baseball nees him
damn u still havent logged off...ur hurting everyone with all this wack shit u drop, it hurts more then getting the swine flu
Tue, Mar 16, 2010 at 8:15 AM By: Ice Cube
Me and Mack 10 together again? I never say never, but he has the kiss the ring first.
Cube
gbee:@ Petey: you sound like a broken record, time to grow up.

Twentytwofifty

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #24 on: September 10, 2010, 10:35:56 AM »
Even with the 95+ and HR power example, a team would rather see the player concentrate on one thing to maximize the talent.

Like this kid:

Looks like they won't let him even try catching, they'll throw him in RF instead.

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #25 on: September 10, 2010, 04:28:57 PM »
I'm not saying James Loney is even an average player though, I really don't even want him on the team.  My point with Loney is that he's one of dozens of players every year that are on top of scouts lists as pitchers and hitters but only get to do one.  Even with the 95+ and HR power example, a team would rather see the player concentrate on one thing to maximize the talent. 

I agree with that. Ruth was brought up as a pitcher. His one recorded year in the minors was pretty average for a hitter. It was while he was in Boston where someone saw him, I guess during practice, slug the fuck out of the ball. In 1915 with 92 ABs Ruth had 4 HRs. Broggo Roth lead the league with 7 HRs that year and he had over 350 ABs. The Sox knew that as a batting pitcher he was top notch and after a while they gave him a full batting schedule. New York saw what he did and said that's our guy.

What happened to Ruth could happen today. If an NL pitcher with under 100 ABs was tied for 3rd in HRs and bat over 300 that team would look to switch him over. At the very least rotate him.

Chamillitary Click

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #26 on: September 10, 2010, 04:37:23 PM »

I agree with that. Ruth was brought up as a pitcher. His one recorded year in the minors was pretty average for a hitter. It was while he was in Boston where someone saw him, I guess during practice, slug the fuck out of the ball. In 1915 with 92 ABs Ruth had 4 HRs. Broggo Roth lead the league with 7 HRs that year and he had over 350 ABs. The Sox knew that as a batting pitcher he was top notch and after a while they gave him a full batting schedule. New York saw what he did and said that's our guy.

What happened to Ruth could happen today. If an NL pitcher with under 100 ABs was tied for 3rd in HRs and bat over 300 that team would look to switch him over. At the very least rotate him.

The only difference is Adam Wainwright has to face a fresh pitcher; not a guy in his 16th inning of work in the second game of a double header lol.

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #27 on: September 10, 2010, 09:50:24 PM »

The only difference is Adam Wainwright has to face a fresh pitcher; not a guy in his 16th inning of work in the second game of a double header lol.

So that means when Ruth was throwing 23 win seasons with 41 CGs with a 1.75 ERA and 9 shut out games a years he was really just throwing 18 straight innings a day? Shit, he must have been the best pitcher ever.

I don't get you. I really don't. When Ruth smashes HRs he does so because the pitchers back then sucked. And when he has blow away knock out pitching seasons he does so because the batters back then sucked. So the MLB in the teens and 20s was just one big high school league and Babe Ruth was the only guy that would have make the league in the modern game, and if he tries really hard he might get to start a game or two.

Chamillitary Click

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #28 on: September 10, 2010, 09:58:50 PM »

So that means when Ruth was throwing 23 win seasons with 41 CGs with a 1.75 ERA and 9 shut out games a years he was really just throwing 18 straight innings a day? Shit, he must have been the best pitcher ever.

I don't get you. I really don't. When Ruth smashes HRs he does so because the pitchers back then sucked. And when he has blow away knock out pitching seasons he does so because the batters back then sucked. So the MLB in the teens and 20s was just one big high school league and Babe Ruth was the only guy that would have make the league in the modern game, and if he tries really hard he might get to start a game or two.

No, what are you talking about? You get me lol.

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #29 on: September 10, 2010, 10:02:05 PM »

No, what are you talking about? You get me lol.

I'll never get you, but I will envy you for the next 4 years, but I'd kill to re-do 18-22 in my life. Enjoy these years my friend. Because you never get them back, but you spend a lot of years thinking about them.