Author Topic: Any guy that watches True Blood is a faggot  (Read 1301 times)

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I never had a digital pic of myself before
Re: Any guy that watches True Blood is a faggot
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2010, 07:28:30 AM »
I can proudly say I haven't seen a second of any recent vampire movie.

Maybe some OG Christopher Lee Dracula, but fuck outta here with this True Blood/Twilight shit.

I'll give you credit for giving props to Christopher Lee.  Some of those Hammer films are pretty good, even now.  But I still say "True Blood" and "Twilight" are miles apart in regards to content.  I personally can't stand "Twilight" but I'll watch some "True Blood."

I had a debate the other day with regards to True Blood and Vampire Diaries, and I said for what each show is supposed to be Vampire Diaries is 1000x better. Vampire Diaries and films like Twilight are teen dramas for girls. True Blood is supposed to be a high art show about Vamps and it fails miserably. If I watch Angel seasons 4 and 5 and compare to True Blood, True Blood is a joke. It's high production value protects it from looking too bad, but there's nothing behind the gloss.

It's not campy enough to be camp. Not serious enough to be drama. Not cool enough to be horror or folk lore. And too well produced to be cult. It's just a bad show.

JohnnyL

« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2010, 07:52:54 AM »

Maybe some OG Christopher Lee Dracula, but fuck outta here with this True Blood/Twilight shit.

I'll give you credit for giving props to Christopher Lee.  Some of those Hammer films are pretty good, even now.  But I still say "True Blood" and "Twilight" are miles apart in regards to content.  I personally can't stand "Twilight" but I'll watch some "True Blood."

I had a debate the other day with regards to True Blood and Vampire Diaries, and I said for what each show is supposed to be Vampire Diaries is 1000x better. Vampire Diaries and films like Twilight are teen dramas for girls. True Blood is supposed to be a high art show about Vamps and it fails miserably. If I watch Angel seasons 4 and 5 and compare to True Blood, True Blood is a joke. It's high production value protects it from looking too bad, but there's nothing behind the gloss.

It's not campy enough to be camp. Not serious enough to be drama. Not cool enough to be horror or folk lore. And too well produced to be cult. It's just a bad show.

Never actually seen "Vampire Diaries," so I can't comment.  When I first start seeing adds for it, I was afraid it was going to be a t.v. show version of "Twilight."    But if you're saying it's pretty good, maybe I need to give it a shot.  Personally, I never regarded "True Blood" as high art, more like a guilty pleasure.  It's campy, often outright ridiculous, and often plays loose with it's own conventions.  If I had to put a label on it, I guess I'd call it a horror-themed soap opera.  At any rate, I don't contend that it's a great show, but there is something about it that's compelling.  I guess for whatever it's faults, the writers do a pretty good job at making you want to find out what happens to the characters, each week, which I guess is the intention of any soap opera.

Shallow

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I never had a digital pic of myself before
« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2010, 08:34:10 AM »

Never actually seen "Vampire Diaries," so I can't comment.  When I first start seeing adds for it, I was afraid it was going to be a t.v. show version of "Twilight."    But if you're saying it's pretty good, maybe I need to give it a shot.  Personally, I never regarded "True Blood" as high art, more like a guilty pleasure.  It's campy, often outright ridiculous, and often plays loose with it's own conventions.  If I had to put a label on it, I guess I'd call it a horror-themed soap opera.  At any rate, I don't contend that it's a great show, but there is something about it that's compelling.  I guess for whatever it's faults, the writers do a pretty good job at making you want to find out what happens to the characters, each week, which I guess is the intention of any soap opera.

Horror themed soap is exactly right.

And let me make sure to say I'm not calling Diaries a pretty good show. I'm just saying in the realm it exists in it far exceeds what it's supposed to be. If the exact same show was starring the chick from Juno and was on Sci Fi network or AMC I'd probably rag all over it. It's not nearly as good as Buffy, Angel or more recently Supernatural.

JohnnyL

« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2010, 08:51:37 AM »

Horror themed soap is exactly right.

And let me make sure to say I'm not calling Diaries a pretty good show. I'm just saying in the realm it exists in it far exceeds what it's supposed to be. If the exact same show was starring the chick from Juno and was on Sci Fi network or AMC I'd probably rag all over it. It's not nearly as good as Buffy, Angel or more recently Supernatural.

Oh, okay.  You know, speaking of "Supernatural," I keep hearing that it is a pretty good show too.  I've never sat down and watched it, but maybe I should.  People keep telling me it's good.

The Watcher

« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2010, 04:56:33 PM »
supernatural is a good show, i only started watched it a year or so ago. i pretty much wait for the entire season to air before watching the episodes though cause they always seem to be referencing shit that happend a few episodes prior
army of the pharaohs never make love songs
we finger fuck bitches with freddy krueger gloves on
- celph titled

"lol infact lmao" - Proof of D12

anticipate the shots like obama at the podium
- joe budden

acgrundy

« Reply #20 on: September 11, 2010, 05:04:22 PM »

I don't watch any of this new vampire shit, but you are the same dude that constantly tells people they are stuck in the past when it comes to music...

Chamillitary Click

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The greatest entertainer ever.
« Reply #21 on: September 11, 2010, 05:05:59 PM »

I don't watch any of this new vampire shit, but you are the same dude that constantly tells people they are stuck in the past when it comes to music...

Not everyone, just people who are & can't accept it.

I do fail to get your point though.

JohnnyL

« Reply #22 on: September 11, 2010, 07:02:01 PM »
supernatural is a good show, i only started watched it a year or so ago. i pretty much wait for the entire season to air before watching the episodes though cause they always seem to be referencing shit that happend a few episodes prior

Yeah.  t.v. shows are a lot tougher to follow these days.  In a way it's a good thing, because they're often better written.  But it seems most shows now are serial in nature.  They don't really just do self-contained stories.  So to really completely follow what's going on you have to watch every episode in order.  Usually makes for a better story but it's kind of a pain. Especially if you miss a couple episodes.

acgrundy

« Reply #23 on: September 11, 2010, 10:32:25 PM »

I do fail to get your point though.

that doesn't surprise me one bit.