Author Topic: what's more important to u, a great rapper or "great musc"?  (Read 422 times)

Chamillitary Click

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The greatest entertainer ever.
Re: what's more important to u, a great rapper or "great musc"?
« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2010, 02:34:11 PM »
This is why rappers like T.I. will never make a great song.

people that say this have clearly never heard a ti album. so what if he made some shit singles? he mad mad cash off them and he has proven time and time again he can do great punchline/storytelling/whatever kinda raps people consider 'lyrical'

So T.I. has made amazing songs & Joe Budden can't? People's credibility on this board has gone down the drain.

LOL, c'mon son. Show me any T.I. song you want & I'll post a Budden song that is miles ahead of it. T.I. can make "entertaining music", but nothing that rocks the brain. I'll take Joe Budden off pure lyrics & "shitty flow & delivery" over T.I. rapping off pure charisma lol.

The-Leak (aka) kingwell (bka) JULES

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • ~TWITTER.COM/ITZJULES
« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2010, 07:21:15 PM »
Usually with str8 lyricists, they have a hard trouble forming the idea of a song, with a hook and all that.

What is your definition of a straight lyricist? How can a rapper be a great lyricist if they can't even conceive of good songs?

Do you want to discuss Rick Ross?  Speedin is a good song.  Is it lyrical?  No.

Do you want to discuss 50 Cent?  In Da Club is a good song.  Is it lyrical?  No.

Do you want to discuss TI?  Asap is a good song.  Is it lyrical?  No.

Do you see my definition now?  To me lyricism is punchlines and storylines.  Something that a person like Joe Budden excels at.  But on the other hand, his delivery can be stale and uninspiring, which is another big part of a good song.

On the other hand, Method Man's punchlines and storylines may not be as strong, but his delivery creates such an energy on a track that you don't notice the shortcoming.

Remember, lyrics (writing) is only one part of a song.  You still have other elements like bring the lyrics to life with good charismatic vocals, a good beat selection, and good mixing of the over-all song.

I would have to disagree with you that those are all good songs. And In Da Club is exactly what it is...a good party song. There's a pretty obvious difference between that and oh say this:

I have said this time and time again. Punchlines don't make something lyrical. Punchlines are nothing more than jokes told through rhyme. Hell, punchlines don't even really exist outside of rap, so how can you use that to define what is lyrical when rap is only one out of many music genres which rely on lyrics?

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/lyrical

Punchlines CAN contribute to something being lyrical. But its not based on the punchlines themselves but whether they actually contribute to the AFFECT of the song. IE a random freestyle that says nothing is not lyrical.

As far as Budden vs. Meth, I guess you could argue either way since both have released meaningful music. But you seem to be going about this lyricist thing the wrong way. Just wanted to clear that up.

Punchlines do make something lyrical.  I suggest you start listening to the punchlines and take notice of artists that have actual clever and intelligent ones.  They are more lyrical than the weak sauce ones.

You can't argue Budden vs Meth.  Budden is light years ahead of Meth as a writer.  Meth is the better rapper tho.  You get Budden to ghostwrite for Meth and Meth is twice as good as he woulda been.

The ability to create a good song has nothing to do with being lyrical, it has to do with being a good musician.  This is evident in Rock music, where the lyrics are very generic but the melodies and actual vocals make the song good.  Sometimes it's better to be vague and not as "wordy" in a song.  You don't need to be lyrical to make it work.

Otherwise it would be ppl like Budden, Papoose, Murda Mook, etc. in the mainstream right now.  But it's not just what you write, ppl want beats, delivery, production, subject content.

And btw Meth had like one of these typa songs on every album, which might be 1 more than 50 puts on his albums, but still isn't sufficient to suggest Meth put out a gang of meaningful shit.  (subject content has nothing to do with lyrical ability either)

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • ~TWITTER.COM/ITZJULES
« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2010, 07:24:36 PM »
And why do you keep pasting that definition?  Being lyrical in Hip-Hop is different than what they defined there.

Enthusiastic?  Lil B is that in his songs.

Expressing deep emotion?  Kanye does that shit too.

They ain't lyrical.

MistaNova

« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2010, 05:10:17 AM »
I prefer great music. IMO there is no such thing as a great rapper, a rapper can have a lot of qualities but he/she'll always be missing that one thing that can be found in another rapper who is missing something themselves. Like how Drake has a great singing voice and beats but is missing the flow and subject matter that J. Cole has.
Plus a majority of the time I couldn't give a fuck about the people who make the music, so long as the music itself is released.

SCREWFACE

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2010, 06:36:05 AM »

people that say this have clearly never heard a ti album. so what if he made some shit singles? he mad mad cash off them and he has proven time and time again he can do great punchline/storytelling/whatever kinda raps people consider 'lyrical'

So T.I. has made amazing songs & Joe Budden can't? People's credibility on this board has gone down the drain.

LOL, c'mon son. Show me any T.I. song you want & I'll post a Budden song that is miles ahead of it. T.I. can make "entertaining music", but nothing that rocks the brain. I'll take Joe Budden off pure lyrics & "shitty flow & delivery" over T.I. rapping off pure charisma lol.

dude shut the fuck up, i have nothing to prove to you. you are a lame ass joe budden stan that brings him into conversation in every thread. JOE BEEZY GOT BARS FOR DAYS LEMME PROVE HOW HE BETTER THAN ANY RAPPER OUT THERE = you in every thread

Portugoal

« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2010, 06:54:33 AM »

Dude made his best songs with Mannie Fresh. That's no coincidence.

SCREWFACE

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #21 on: September 18, 2010, 07:01:10 AM »
blah blah blah i care about big words im a backpacker

Portugoal

« Reply #22 on: September 18, 2010, 07:08:57 AM »
blah blah blah i care about big words im a backpacker

You're Australian?

Chamillitary Click

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #23 on: September 18, 2010, 09:08:19 AM »

dude shut the fuck up, i have nothing to prove to you. you are a lame ass joe budden stan that brings him into conversation in every thread. JOE BEEZY GOT BARS FOR DAYS LEMME PROVE HOW HE BETTER THAN ANY RAPPER OUT THERE = you in every thread

LOL, way to look like you just got shut down by dodging my point. Take the quick L, fam.

Post the great T.I. song, Mau called him out on it too. You're replies have been straight up immature lmfao.

Anunikke

« Reply #24 on: September 18, 2010, 09:58:38 AM »
Great music otherwise I might as well just listen to spoken words.

Triple OG Rapsodie

« Reply #25 on: September 18, 2010, 04:59:16 PM »

Punchlines do make something lyrical.  I suggest you start listening to the punchlines and take notice of artists that have actual clever and intelligent ones.  They are more lyrical than the weak sauce ones.

Not at all. Again, they are just jokes, why would that in itself a rhyme lyrical? And they are practically nonexistant outside of hip hop. Being a lyricist is the same idea, whether its hip hop or any other genre.

Btw, just out of curiosity. Would you define a rapper like Nas as a great lyricist? He barely even uses punchlines and sometimes his words don't even rhyme. But yet he's considered one of rap's premier lyricists by many people. What about Chuck D?

You can't argue Budden vs Meth.  Budden is light years ahead of Meth as a writer.  Meth is the better rapper tho.  You get Budden to ghostwrite for Meth and Meth is twice as good as he woulda been.

LMAO. You lose major credibility with this assertion.

The ability to create a good song has nothing to do with being lyrical, it has to do with being a good musician.  This is evident in Rock music, where the lyrics are very generic but the melodies and actual vocals make the song good.  Sometimes it's better to be vague and not as "wordy" in a song.  You don't need to be lyrical to make it work.

You clearly don't know the meaning of the word lyricist. Its a SONG. This is MUSIC we are listening to. Punchlines by themselves do not make something lyrical. Its whether they contribute to the purpose of the song that makes it lyrical. And I have to laugh at someone who calls rock music generic. With that statement I would be very surprised if you even listen to any genres outside of rap.

Chamillitary Click

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #26 on: September 18, 2010, 05:07:00 PM »

What's your favorite lyrical Method Man song?

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • ~TWITTER.COM/ITZJULES
« Reply #27 on: September 18, 2010, 08:55:54 PM »

Not at all. Again, they are just jokes, why would that in itself a rhyme lyrical? And they are practically nonexistant outside of hip hop. Being a lyricist is the same idea, whether its hip hop or any other genre.

Btw, just out of curiosity. Would you define a rapper like Nas as a great lyricist? He barely even uses punchlines and sometimes his words don't even rhyme. But yet he's considered one of rap's premier lyricists by many people. What about Chuck D?

You clearly don't know the meaning of the word lyricist. Its a SONG. This is MUSIC we are listening to. Punchlines by themselves do not make something lyrical. Its whether they contribute to the purpose of the song that makes it lyrical. And I have to laugh at someone who calls rock music generic. With that statement I would be very surprised if you even listen to any genres outside of rap.

1) Do you think punchlines are just jokes?  Do you know what a simile or metaphor is?  Double entendre?  They don't have to portray something funny to be a punchline..

2) Nas is a great poet, artist.  He is semi-lyrical with good subject content.  He ranks above Method Man all day long.  Better than Joe as an artist and rapper, but not as lyrical, no.

3) I listen to more Rock than you guaranteed, I AM WHITE.  I grew up on that shit gtfo.  Listening to Brandon Boyd right now matter of fact, LOL.

4) Great music doesn't have to be lyrical, when will you get this through your head?

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • ~TWITTER.COM/ITZJULES
« Reply #28 on: September 18, 2010, 08:58:07 PM »

And stating that I lose credibility with an assertion does nothing to add to our discussion, you already obviously don't think I am credible, and I don't give a fuck if you do.  So keep on track of our subject and argue as to why you think Method Man's writing is better than Joe Buddens.

First rule of Debate: Don't get personal.

SCREWFACE

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #29 on: September 19, 2010, 03:43:29 AM »

LOL, way to look like you just got shut down by dodging my point. Take the quick L, fam.

Post the great T.I. song, Mau called him out on it too. You're replies have been straight up immature lmfao.

no matter what song i pull u are gonna post up some lame wordy joe budden rap and say it is better because it has big words and you think its deep. im not fuckin interested. this thread aint got shit to do with budden. you need to really take a look at yourself cham. are u really so badly on joes dick that you have to talk about him every day? you cant even stop yourself now, coming into a random threads talkin about joe. hopin, wishin, prayin that maybe one day he'll notice u, that one day he'll slip you the slice of joe dick that you so desperately desire. you and that jules character really need to examine why you feel the need to talk about him constantly, come to terms with these feelings, and move on with your lives, because joe doesnt love you, and he never will.