Author Topic: Rah Digga Interview  (Read 55 times)

D-Nice

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I Made Jesus Walks/So I Ain't Never Going To Hell
Rah Digga Interview
« on: October 12, 2010, 01:56:27 PM »
http://www.illuminati2g.com/rahdiggainterview.htm

I2G chilled with the one and only Rah Digga for a exclusive interview. We discuss her new album, Classic, which has recieved critical acclaim for it's lyrics, beats and even its album cover. We get into all this classic with Rah, from the album to her top 5 albums and much more so check it out.

Illuminati 2G is here with Rah Digga how's it going?

Everything is going great thank you for asking.

You have a new album entitled Classic that dropped on the 14th. Why the longgap in between Dirty Harriet and this album?

For one I devoted a few years to working on the Flipmode Squad "Imperial" sequel in addition to my own sequel "Everything Is A Story"; neither of which ever came out. I took some time off and moved to LA to study acting and also took some courses at NYFA for film directing and editing. In addition to being a philanthropist and a full time mom, I've been quite busy.

Most definitely. What does the title Classic mean and represent to you when it comes to yournew album? What does it embody?

"Classic" represents a golden age of hip-hop when artists worked with one producer and their albums were not saturated with guest appearances. The "DJ" component was also crucial as far as lending sample cuts to an album and "Classic" embodies all of the above. In 2010 where most of these factors are obsolete, I am proud to say I took a leap of faith against the industry protocol and did it.

I agree 100%. Those elements are definitely missing from the hip hop game and your album brings those components back in a big way.  The album cover is priceless, what inspired it and what is your all time favorite album cover?

My album cover is a childhood picture of me and after several photo shoot attempts trying to embody the "Classic" element I decided to dig in the old photo album and pick a picture that best suits a "Classic" Rah Digga. The idea was derived from Nas' "Illmatic" album cover and since I campaigned this album to be a female version of that album I just took it one step further to mimic its cover as well.

Great choice, I think it will go down as one of the all time great covers in hip hop. Was it a no brainer for you to work with Nottz again to produce the entire album? I know he did alot of work on your 1st album.

In the beginning I was a little hesitant because after so much time passing I was fearful of the monotony factor plus I worked with so many different producers over the years and I wanted to give EVERYONE a shot. It took some convincing from the A&R that this is how it had to be in lieu of my long hiatus. People had to be certain that they we're getting the "Straight Spittin" Rah Digga as opposed to the "Party & Bullshit" Rah Digga and with Nottz  producing the whole project I think it made people very clear what they could expect.

Do you have any more upcoming videos or singles from the album?

I ultimately plan to release videos for the WHOLE album since I'm directing and editing myself now. "Check Me Boo" and "You Got It" are the official next two singles with videos and "Straight Spittin 4" will be a video in conjunction with a battle rap phone application that's in development.

The attention to detail on this album is remarkable. From the lyrics to the beats to the cuts and scratches. And you completed the album with no features which is almost unheard of. Do you feel musically that is something that is missing from the game right now, that attention to detail?

I think everybody tries to make albums these days that cater to everyone and most of the time they usually end up catering to no one. They end up with a song or 2 that different people like and sonically it just sounds all over the place with no real definition as to who the artist is. I wanted to remind everyone that I am a "spitter" and I made an album for those who can appreciate a female just going hard...something that is REALLY missing from the game right now.

Absolutely. What would you say are your Top 5 classic hip hop albums?

My 5 fav Hip-Hop albums are "Illmatic", "Reasonable Doubt", "Infamous","Chronic" and of course my beloved "Dirty Harriet"!!

What are your thoughts on the amount of exposure women in hip hop are getting right now from a music and business standpoint?

I think it's sad that women have fallen so low on the food chain but sometimes it takes things to go away before people realize how much theymiss it and I certainly miss raw, edgy female lyricists. On the business end women wouldn't be so much of an expense if they pushed the music as much as they pushed the imagery especially in the cases where the music speaks for itself.

I spoke with Rampage a couple of days after Guru passed and we spoke about the good times everyone had recording the Flipmode Squad album, The Imperial. That is one of my all time favorite albums, what are some good memories that you have during the making of that album and is there a possibility the squad will reunite.

All my memories of Flipmode are fond ones. I only wish the second Flipmode album could have dropped because I believe it would have set Flipmode in a very high ranking as far as rap crews go. Everyone stood out as individuals on that album as opposed to all of us bunched up on one song like most of the first album "Imperial"

Do you have any upcoming shows or tour dates?

I'm doing alot of spot dating right now because I'm working on the reissue for "Classic". Once I complete that then I can focus on straight touring.

What is your website information for people looking to check out your music and see what you have going on?

People can follow me on twitter @therealrahdigga as well as facebook and for show updates please check the label website http://www.rawkoncept.com

Appreciate your time, any last words before I let you go?

THANK YOU EVERYONE WHO HAS SUPPORTED ME THROUGH THIS LONG JOURNEY. THE BOOM BAP IS BACK!!!