Author Topic: Dr Dre - Kush Feat Snoop Dogg, Kobe and Akon (1st Single off DETOX!) - Audio  (Read 36417 times)

.:Hercy Buggz:.

• The Soul Brotha
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Time For Sumthin New
Re: Dr Dre - Kush Feat Snoop Dogg, Kobe and Akon (1st Single off DETOX!) - Audio
« Reply #585 on: November 20, 2010, 02:59:07 PM »
Why people hating? What did you actually expect? This song is fresh, lots of variety, well thought out. Best rap single I've heard in years. BANGINNNNN
i stilll like to know why this song is fresh.

the best thing about thsi song is the sound, kinda weird to have akon on this not because of his voice but because he said himself that he doesnt smoke...but yeah the sound of it is great the instruments on there the way the song is done! good job

BiggBoogaBiff

Re: Dr Dre - Kush Feat Snoop Dogg, Kobe and Akon (1st Single off DETOX!) - Audio
« Reply #586 on: November 20, 2010, 03:00:06 PM »
Why people hating? What did you actually expect? This song is fresh, lots of variety, well thought out. Best rap single I've heard in years. BANGINNNNN

Becuz it's a good song that Dr. Dre made in 2010 that's why (if ur going to be technical).  It's not even really all of that serious on tha critiquing, the song iz whut it iz, something to crank up.  

Stan

« Reply #587 on: November 20, 2010, 03:38:04 PM »
Becuz it's a good song that Dr. Dre made in 2010 that's why (if ur going to be technical).  It's not even really all of that serious on tha critiquing, the song iz whut it iz, something to crank up.  

Yea I find people are looking waaayy to deep into this song.  It is a fun, head-nodding, club banger.  Nothing else.  It is so obvious too, I mean the song is called Kush!

The point of the song -imo- is to just make you feel good and wanna blast it and enjoy the sound.  Nothing to reflect on or over-analyze.  Same with Next Episode.  I definitely see this as a fitting sequel to that song minus all the hating on Akon.  I actually like Akon's sound, and have been listening to him since Lock'd up with Styles P.

Fonkarround

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • https://soundcloud.com/fonkarround
« Reply #588 on: November 20, 2010, 03:48:41 PM »
look for same soundin song, ull get the point

Skeptic

• Muthafuckin' OG
« Reply #589 on: November 20, 2010, 03:56:26 PM »
this song is dope, excited for detox, beat is banging, only part im not 100% feelin is akon but im sure he'll grow on me, guess im jus used to nate wit snoop n dre

still I am/ tighter than the pants on will i am!!!!
haha

UCC

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #590 on: November 20, 2010, 04:15:50 PM »
The only thing I think that's fresh about the track is the mixing - Dre keeps on advancing with making everything bigger and crisper and clearer,
and I think if anything saves the track for me it's the way that the song just jumps out at you in the mixing

But everything else about it isn't fresh -

-He's been using piano melodies for ages now
-The claps are roughly the same
-An Akon chorus - that's the opposite of fresh, everyone has an Akon chorus, didn't Crooked I have an Akon chorus at one stage
-Sort of autotune sounding on that beginning bit - that shit is everywhere
-More upbeat, dance tempo - everything on the radio is at that tempo nowadays
-Doing a Nate Dogg impersonation... it's dope, but it's hardly fresh sounding
-Neither of the verses are really anything in particular, they're sort of just generic verses, so it's definitely not fresh lyrically
-Talking about smoking weed, which has been done for the last 20 years

BiggBoogaBiff

« Reply #591 on: November 20, 2010, 04:21:35 PM »
The only thing I think that's fresh about the track is the mixing - Dre keeps on advancing with making everything bigger and crisper and clearer,
and I think if anything saves the track for me it's the way that the song just jumps out at you in the mixing

-An Akon chorus - that's the opposite of fresh, everyone has an Akon chorus, didn't Crooked I have an Akon chorus at one stage
-Neither of the verses are really anything in particular, they're sort of just generic verses, so it's definitely not fresh lyrically

true but everything u just mentioned as to why it isn't fresh is tha same reason why people love it.  i mean i agree with u but u just took apart tha whole song, broke it down part 4 part, and said u didn't like it (pretty much).  like it's a song son, not a movie or a piece of food.  Whut u just did is whut people call being OVER CRITICAL/OVER REACTING.  i mean tha way u just made it look is like you're trying to dunish it before it even jumps off (like u have a plan 2 sabotage it or somethin lol).  i ain't carryin' u but c'mon son, all that tho, you're basically saying that u dont like music period (let alone this song).

UCC

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #592 on: November 20, 2010, 04:36:39 PM »

true but everything u just mentioned as to why it isn't fresh is tha same reason why people love it.  i mean i agree with u but u just took apart tha whole song, broke it down part 4 part, and said u didn't like it (pretty much).  like it's a song son, not a movie or a piece of food.  Whut u just did is whut people call being OVER CRITICAL/OVER REACTING.  i mean tha way u just made it look is like you're trying to dunish it before it even jumps off (like u have a plan 2 sabotage it or somethin lol).  i ain't carryin' u but c'mon son, all that tho, you're basically saying that u dont like music period (let alone this song).

Word, I'm just saying it's not like a "fresh", "new" sound... that's not a bad thing, not everything has to be a brand new thing to be good, but I think if people think it's really "new" sounding, then I don't think much of it is

I don't love the song, but I don't hate it either, it's like a solid album track to me that serves a particular purpose - to get audiences today interested in Detox.

Dre does have a history of making a few more obvious singles with big choruses (What's My Name, Express Yourself, Let Me Ride), but then having some more hardcore tracks within the album (Lyrical Gangbang, Serial Killer, I Ain't Tha 1), so I'm hoping it's a mix of different types of tracks and not just 12 attempts at making a hit single

Detox Is A Myth!!!

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Detox is the biggest marketing deception on Earth
« Reply #593 on: November 20, 2010, 08:46:22 PM »
Word, I mean a lot of people did like it right away, it's just that lot of long-time Dre fans had complaints with the song... I think people forget or don't know that

Well, I was one of those guys, for a lot of the reasons you listed.  To this day, I feel Big Egos is 10x the song that Still DRE is.  DOC on the lyrics > Jay.  More developed piano-based chord progression.  More substance behind the song, too, at least on Dre's verse.  Plus, Hittmann did his thing on that song, dissing Mr. Hush Puppy  :laugh:
"Detox" is a myth -- Bigfoot, Loch Ness Monster, Area 51, Iraq having WMD, Detox...you get it now?  It was invented by the Aftermath marketing department to maintain the fans' attention.  Notice how everytime a new Aftermath album is ready to come out, they always mention Detox is next up?  Because they are using the invention of "Detox" as a way to market other albums.  The sooner you realize that Detox is NOT REAL, the sooner you'll feel liberated.  Oh yeah, f.u. Aftermath for fooling us fans.

BiggBoogaBiff

« Reply #594 on: November 20, 2010, 08:48:41 PM »
Word, I mean a lot of people did like it right away, it's just that lot of long-time Dre fans had complaints with the song... I think people forget or don't know that

Well, I was one of those guys, for a lot of the reasons you listed.  To this day, I feel Big Egos is 10x the song that Still DRE is.  DOC on the lyrics > Jay.  More developed piano-based chord progression.  More substance behind the song, too, at least on Dre's verse.  Plus, Hittmann did his thing on that song, dissing Mr. Hush Puppy  :laugh:

"Mr. Powder Puff ./ Your bark ain't loud enouf"

CLASSIC!

Detox Is A Myth!!!

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #595 on: November 20, 2010, 08:50:15 PM »
Best rap single I've heard in years.

I respect your opinion, but in my opinion, it's not even the best single I heard this past week, which was that new Quincy Jones & Snoop one.
"Detox" is a myth -- Bigfoot, Loch Ness Monster, Area 51, Iraq having WMD, Detox...you get it now?  It was invented by the Aftermath marketing department to maintain the fans' attention.  Notice how everytime a new Aftermath album is ready to come out, they always mention Detox is next up?  Because they are using the invention of "Detox" as a way to market other albums.  The sooner you realize that Detox is NOT REAL, the sooner you'll feel liberated.  Oh yeah, f.u. Aftermath for fooling us fans.

TDOT

• Muthafuckin' OG
« Reply #596 on: November 20, 2010, 08:53:34 PM »
Everyone has to see this, its a video of the shoot, but this same idiot keeps yapping and getting disciplined by 50 on 3 seperate occasions, pure comedy:

So if you combine everyone fromall the days that showed up, its like 3 quarters of the west there, but still missing some major figures (this is going off of what was posted on Twitter, shown in video, people who were reported to have been seen there, etc.)

Best rap single I've heard in years.

I respect your opinion, but in my opinion, it's not even the best single I heard this past week, which was that new Quincy Jones & Snoop one.

In regards to that, I would say probably the best rap single all year so far for sure. And I heard it all this year.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2010, 08:55:10 PM by TDOT »

Detox Is A Myth!!!

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #597 on: November 20, 2010, 08:58:34 PM »
Yea I find people are looking waaayy to deep into this song.  It is a fun, head-nodding, club banger.  Nothing else.

I feel that's a cop out.  It's like you're admitting the song isn't substantive, so you're telling people not to analyze it, because the song doesn't hold up to scrutiny.  Think about that, and what you're admitting.

If something is classic, not only is it viscerally pleasurable (for lack of a better term, haha), but it also stands up to intellectual analysis.  Kush doesn't.  I mean, when you listen to the instrumental, do you think to yourself, "This would be a perfect instrumental for a song about smoking!"  NO, you don't.  This song has a disconnect between what I call form and content.  In other words, the content of the song (i.e. the substantive message of the song conveyed via the vocals) does not fit the form of the song (i.e. the musical aspects).

If that's going too deep in analyzing this song, then ok.  But by saying that, you're basically saying to me that this song can't hold up to scrutiny, which to me makes it IMPOSSIBLE to be a classic.  Classic music/movies/art do hold up to intellectual analysis and scrutiny.

Not that you're saying this is anywhere near classic.  I'm just making a larger point.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2010, 09:00:50 PM by Detox Is A Myth!!! »

Matty

« Reply #598 on: November 20, 2010, 09:13:13 PM »
^^ werd. a lot of the posts that are praising this track are already on a semi-defensive vibe. if this was really up to standard there would people going nuts and breaking down how well it works or whatever. i'll be the first to admit if this track becomes highly respected over time, compared to other dre or dre-produced singles. i might even grow to really appreciate it a lot more too, but i doubt it.

it aint bad its just average-good, the vocals being the weaker part.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2010, 09:20:03 PM by Matty »

BiggBoogaBiff

« Reply #599 on: November 20, 2010, 09:26:27 PM »
Yea I find people are looking waaayy to deep into this song.  It is a fun, head-nodding, club banger.  Nothing else.

I feel that's a cop out.  It's like you're admitting the song isn't substantive, so you're telling people not to analyze it, because the song doesn't hold up to scrutiny.  Think about that, and what you're admitting.

If something is classic, not only is it viscerally pleasurable (for lack of a better term, haha), but it also stands up to intellectual analysis.  Kush doesn't.  I mean, when you listen to the instrumental, do you think to yourself, "This would be a perfect instrumental for a song about smoking!"  NO, you don't.  This song has a disconnect between what I call form and content.  In other words, the content of the song (i.e. the substantive message of the song conveyed via the vocals) does not fit the form of the song (i.e. the musical aspects).

If that's going too deep in analyzing this song, then ok.  But by saying that, you're basically saying to me that this song can't hold up to scrutiny, which to me makes it IMPOSSIBLE to be a classic.  Classic music/movies/art do hold up to intellectual analysis and scrutiny.

Not that you're saying this is anywhere near classic.  I'm just making a larger point.

so what albums are there that you think in tha past 10 years that have done that?  albums like Doggystyle, AntiChrist Superstar for the most part (maybe) which are classics.  you know, like whut's crossed over hip hop/rock related that became a household jam and do u think it's possible it can happen again and whut would you think content/production wise that can do that?  i agree with what you said about the song but other than that whut does?  

And that's not really a cop out, you were either going to love the song or you weren't nobody can force you to like anything (i haven't like any 1 of DJ Khaled's songs except "I'm So Hood" but there's alotta people that think he has alotta shit that is and they'll be played for a long time to come).  They crossed over, it set a trend, go figure.  I hated "Make It Rain" but look at that, it's a phrase that ain't goin' away no time soon either.

I honestly think if "Nothing But A 'G' Thang" were to be released today that it wouldn't be as impactful just solely becuz tha time is different and every form of music has evolved since then (for better or for worse depending on the persons).  I agree with what you said like I said but I just think that people got it all fucked up when it comes to really thinking about what's literally a classic album or what This album/music is all about in tha 1st place (all opinions/feelings aside).