Author Topic: why is dre doing 6 music videos?  (Read 1094 times)

acgrundy

why is dre doing 6 music videos?
« on: November 16, 2010, 08:41:49 PM »
I don't get it...who even watches music videos these days?  Do they even play them on TV anymore?

Do music videos just air on the net or what is the deal these days?

I'm not complaining, but it just seems kinda weird for a greedy label like Interscope to actually do 6 music videos for the album, considering that will just cut into their profits.

Triple OG Rapsodie

Re: why is dre doing 6 music videos?
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2010, 08:43:28 PM »
What is there to get? A video obviously gives songs more attention and exposure.

Chamillitary Click

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The greatest entertainer ever.
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2010, 08:44:41 PM »
It depends who you are. "Not Afraid" & "Love The Way You Lie" have hundreds of millions of views.

A guy like J. Cole wouldn't be doing much justice with one; but Dre is a huge name.

But six videos means six mainstream friendly songs, so I don't know if this is necessarily a good thing. :-X

MrJas

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2010, 08:51:29 PM »
man you better believe that interscope promo machine is going to go nuts

we going to be seeing dre everywhere soon lol, videos will be on some massive budget shit too
You expect me to download an album that isn't real?  Sorry, but I can't sign this.

acgrundy

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2010, 09:01:45 PM »
but where do you watch the videos?  See I grew up in the age where MTV actually played music videos all day every day.  So there is still demand for them on the internet?  I'm 30 years old...I don't know a single person who watches music videos...so is it just the young kids come on the internet and watch them or what?

of course a video gives songs more exposure and attention, but at what cost?  Going on tour in every major city in america and giving the tickets away for free will also give your album plenty of exposure and attention...yet I don't see that happening...

I think it is odd for Interscope to promote this album with so many music videos...especially if they are costly to make...

Back in the day you used to watch mtv several times a week (maybe every weekday) and you would constantly see these videos over and over.  If anything, I would go on the net and watch a video once and thats it.  It is not nearly the same promotion today as it was 10-20 years ago.

MrJas

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2010, 09:10:19 PM »
Eminem has 3 videos with 100 million views.
You expect me to download an album that isn't real?  Sorry, but I can't sign this.

Makaveli's Food & Liquor

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2010, 09:14:04 PM »
Outside of the US they still play music videos lol Ive got like literally 25 music channels which do nothing but play videos all day long and im in the UK

acgrundy

« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2010, 09:17:57 PM »
wow, I had no idea anyone watched music videos anymore.

Jimmy H.

« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2010, 09:38:14 PM »
Music videos are not unlike a lot of the other elements of mainstream music. It's in bad shape but the big name artists are still making money with it. Detox is the biggest album Interscope has had in awhile so I'd expect some money will go into videos. If it's an established artist, videos can do a good job of pushing the music. It's just hard to use them to break someone on a smaller level.

Triple OG Rapsodie

« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2010, 09:40:42 PM »
It depends who you are. "Not Afraid" & "Love The Way You Lie" have hundreds of millions of views.

A guy like J. Cole wouldn't be doing much justice with one; but Dre is a huge name.

But six videos means six mainstream friendly songs, so I don't know if this is necessarily a good thing. :-X

Dre songs are always mainstream oriented (sonically I mean)

TraceOneInfinite Flat Earther 96'

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Permanent Resident Flat Erth 1996 Pre-Sept. 13th
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2010, 09:48:24 PM »
Music videos are even more watched today than they were in the 90's because people can view them instantly on youtube.  And the big stars usually have adds before many of their youtube video's, so I'm sure that's bringing in advertisement dollars to the artist and label.  So Dre is going to be making some money off those 6 video's I think.  Again, anything out of Dre's mouth you can't ever believe till it actually happens, not because Dre is a liar, but because Dre is a perfectionist, so if he's not feeling the video thing later on down the road, then he may say forget it.
Givin' respect to 2pac September 7th-13th The Day Hip-Hop Died

(btw, Earth 🌎 is not a spinning water ball)

StrEiht Up Menace

• Muthafuckin' Double OG
  • i hav a massive dick
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2010, 10:02:20 PM »
why is dre doing 6 music videos?
becoz spending time on that will prolong him from dropping detox  8)

Dre-Day

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • No justice, no peace
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2010, 02:19:39 AM »

Dre songs are always mainstream oriented (sonically I mean)
yeah

Dippafly

• 'G'
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2010, 03:16:01 AM »
ill watch music videos on BET, Muchmusic and sometimes on youtube
SLEPT ON CLASSICS

Gamestarr

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • P
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2010, 01:55:47 PM »