Author Topic: a sign of age or is the music industry increasingly targeting younger people?  (Read 597 times)

Matty

with shit like justin beiber and these teen singers and stuff. seems more and more shameless and lower quality. a much easier target audience to hit.

or am i just getting old?

MontrealCity's Most

• Muthafuckin' Don!
well Bieber started young but I mean Jt, Spears, Agulerra were also very young..

Chamillitary Click

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • The greatest entertainer ever.
Kids from the age of 10-15 are more likely to buy albums than people from the ages of 18-25.

At the end of the day you just have to understand its an "industry", a business; its about selling albums, not pleasing people.

M Dogg™

• Greatest of All Time
  • Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Feel the Power of the Darkside
sign of the times??? I always thought it always was like that. At 13 I loved Snoop and people thought of him as Jr. High rap. Later when I got older, I hated artist that were seen as great to younger people. It's just the way it is.

Matty

Kids from the age of 10-15 are more likely to buy albums than people from the ages of 18-25.

At the end of the day you just have to understand its an "industry", a business; its about selling albums, not pleasing people.

which is why i'm asking if people think the demographic has changed over time, for business reasons, or always been this way.

Matty

sign of the times??? I always thought it always was like that. At 13 I loved Snoop and people thought of him as Jr. High rap. Later when I got older, I hated artist that were seen as great to younger people. It's just the way it is.

maybe. seems the internet side of things puts very young kids as demographic less likely to be 'pirating' stuff and able to be willing to part with (their parents) money for downloads. i know what i was real young i didn't have the money to be buying much music or anything. internet makes it easier for kids to obtain stuff. or maybe i embrace 'sharing' so much and forget that some adults do still buy music too.

D-Nice

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I Made Jesus Walks/So I Ain't Never Going To Hell
There was always your Justin Beiber type artists years ago. Actually and granted music as a whole is down, pop acts were even more popular years ago then they are now.

D-Nice

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I Made Jesus Walks/So I Ain't Never Going To Hell
And now labels don't have to concentrate their marketing as much on albums. Because more people have the product in their hands anyway, so they will do "bundle packs" of albums, where if you buy it you get extra stuff, mechandise, touring, etc.

BiggBoogaBiff

son where have you been at for the last 100 years??  literally lol

Triple OG Rapsodie

which is why i'm asking if people think the demographic has changed over time, for business reasons, or always been this way.

The demographic is the same......you were in that demographic years ago. 90s had Britney Spears, Backstreet Boys, N'Sync, Hanson, Dream Street etc.

Portugoal

with shit like justin beiber and these teen singers and stuff. seems more and more shameless and lower quality. a much easier target audience to hit.

I think you're finally seeing it... New Kids On The Block... Backstreet Boys... Spice Girls... Avril Lavigne... Rihanna... [insert random -21-year-old singer]...

BiggBoogaBiff

I think you're finally seeing it... New Kids On The Block... Backstreet Boys... Spice Girls... Avril Lavigne... Rihanna... [insert random -21-year-old singer]...

OMFG... tell me y'all get it now... #THANK-GOD

Jimmy H.

It's always been thay way. Michael Jackson. Bobby Brown. Britney. Justin Timberlake. Bow Wow. Aaliyah. Miley Cyrus. Raven. There always has and likely will always be an audience for younger stars. Nickelodeon and Disney have been milking this formula for decades now. It's kind of a common sense approach. Between back to school shopping, Halloween costumes, Christmas... there is so much money in the youth market. There's not as big a window of cross-marketing when it comes to young post-college adults. People from 24-35 are more into higher end stuff. I don't think you outgrow playing with toys, your taste just gets a little more expensive in terms of the toys you're playing with. 

MistaNova

It's always been thay way. Michael Jackson. Bobby Brown. Britney. Justin Timberlake. Bow Wow. Aaliyah. Miley Cyrus. Raven. There always has and likely will always be an audience for younger stars. Nickelodeon and Disney have been milking this formula for decades now. It's kind of a common sense approach. Between back to school shopping, Halloween costumes, Christmas... there is so much money in the youth market. There's not as big a window of cross-marketing when it comes to young post-college adults. People from 24-35 are more into higher end stuff. I don't think you outgrow playing with toys, your taste just gets a little more expensive in terms of the toys you're playing with. 

That's got to be one of the realest posts I've read on here. +1.

_TLD_

• 'G'
just like cigs, or really anything that has to keep gettings younger people involved to stay alive int he long run, they always will be targeting the younger audience. The difference these days, the indy's and such actually have more power than say some big labels cuz they make more money off they shit than an artist signed to a big label off of a record. Anyway its a diff game now, with digital downloads and itunes and all that. You dont have to be on a big label now to make it so its just diff game now. Anyway both will target a younger audience, just like music always has, but there will always be diff artists that are for a more mature aritst.