Author Topic: Kenny Kingpin Interview  (Read 50 times)

D-Nice

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • I Made Jesus Walks/So I Ain't Never Going To Hell
Kenny Kingpin Interview
« on: January 31, 2011, 10:39:56 PM »
http://illuminati2g.com/site/2011/01/31/kenny-kingpin-interview/

I2G chilled with Kenny Kingpin for a exclusive interview. We talk about his upcoming street album, Rubberband Ready Volume 1, a typical Regime session, the west coast and much more so check it out.

Illuminati 2G is here with Kenny Kingpin, how’s it going man?

All is well man, just trying to maintain.

First question right off the bat, why the name change from Kenny Kingpin to Poppa LQ?

That is a good question and you are one of the first people to ask me that. The name change represents the transition and I was blessed with that name by E-40 himself. It fits, Kenneth is my government name and you have to know how to reinvent yourself in this business.

So I felt at that particular time when I took on the name, that I reinvent myself. Here I am today.

You have your new single which we actually premiered on the site entitled Movin Heavy. Tell me a little bit about the single and how it came together for you.

The single is from personal experience and observation. I have been through alot as a individual and as a artist and I have encountered some things personal in my life and that is just a song to put out there and let people know where I am at and what lane I am going in.

I represent the west coast, L.A., South Central to be exact and there is alot of untold history and stories that has taken place that has really not been expressed through music. Some have but some have not and I am going to take responsibility and rep that in the best musical way possible.

You have your mixtape entitled Rubberband Ready, do you have a release date and is there any details that you can give about the mixtape?

It should be coming around the 1st of the year. Rubberband Ready is a street album, 11 all original cuts and I will be collaborating with DJ Ill Will. Volume 1.

Do you have a album set to drop after the street album this year?

I am working on my album and making sure to pace myself. I am being very selective about the song choices and the album will be called Escape From Poverty. Right now it is going to be a independent album and I want to be meticulous about the songs, and I want people to know the difference between a full length album and a street album.

It has been a little gap since I dropped some material, but for right now I am gonna do this Rubberband Ready series, Volume 1 and Volume 2 and then come with my solo album after that, probably late 2011.

I had recently interviewed Yukmouth and he was talking about a new Regime album. With so many different members and you being a part of that group, what would you say is a typical Regime album session?

I’m an original Regime member and who sets the pace on that is Yukmouth. He works at a very fast pace and he knows exactly what he is doing. If someone usually comes with a dominant verse and concept, they are going to lead the song off and then we will all follow the lead to that.

Rather if everyone is in the studio or not, that is how it goes. It is about the quality material first and we then we build and support off of that idea. It is really more professional when it is done that way.

What are your thoughts on west coast hip hop? Seems alot of people feel there is a lack of material coming out from the west

There has never been a lack of west coast material. There has always been a abundance of talent and the original guys are still out there making music. Now the attention that the music is getting, promotion, marketing, that is a whole other story.

But I think the west coast is in a good position right now and we have the young talent making moves, got the Jerk movement taking off, New Boyz, Cali Swag District. We still have the street cats, Glasses Malone, Jay Rock and Nipsey, so we in a good space.

E-40 still banging hard, Detox is coming, which we know will definitely be the mothership. We are in a good space right now. There used to be a day when people looked for the music and it is so easy now that people wait for the music to come to them. People figure if they have not heard it then it must not be popping and we all know that is not the truth.

Absolutely. Do you have any upcoming shows or tour dates?

Nothing as of yet. I am focusing now on this Rubberband Ready Volume 1 with DJ Ill Will. It will be a superior street album and every song is a banger. I am looking to be very competitive out here and I am really looking to bring other deeper, subject matter and content back to this genre and I am glad to be one of the people that is doing that.

Shout out to everyone for all their support and shout out to Illuminati 2G for the interview. I have to recognize all my blessings.

What is your website information?

http://twitter.com/KennyKingPin, www.myspace.com/kennykingpin, www.kennykingpin.com

Alright that is all the questions I have for you, appreciate you getting down for the interview. Is there any last words or shoutouts you want to get out there to the people?

Just everyone be on the lookout for Rubberband Ready, 2011 it’s going down. Go cop it