Author Topic: The Making of Games "The Documentary"  (Read 1526 times)

Layeth THe Smacketh Down

• Muthafuckin' OG
The Making of Games "The Documentary"
« on: February 10, 2011, 05:53:29 PM »
This is the Complex version of the making an album shit they do in XXL

http://www.complex.com/music/2011/02/the-making-of-the-games-the-documentary/

Not done reading this shit yet, but so far some thing s I found interesting

Game says the song "Dreams" with Kanye is what made Dre decide to put his album out
Their are five different stories of how Hate It Or Love It came about
Dre originally made the beat for "Higher"  for 50 Cent, but 50 said he didn't like it so Game took it
Dre ghost produced hate it or love it
« Last Edit: February 10, 2011, 06:23:26 PM by Layeth The Smacketh Down »

KyleEshna

• Muthafuckin' OG
Re: The Making of Games "The Documentary"
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2011, 03:50:22 AM »
"Don't Need Your Love" beat was re-created by Dr. Dre because Havoc lost the original files.

Interesting.   8)

NuWest

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2011, 04:32:16 AM »
good read, props!  8) 8)

How We Do see's 50 rapping Game's 2nd verse with a few alterations.  8) 8)

Dre-Day

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • No justice, no peace
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2011, 04:48:09 AM »
props for posting.

it looks like 50 lied about Westside story

UCC

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2011, 05:09:54 AM »
This was also interesting because it shows a lot of how things work at Aftermath...
like there were doubts about the two singles, so they needed a another sure-fire hit from Timbaland, even though it sounds like the other tracks were done

So maybe that's like Detox - he's done the regular album tracks, he just needed to tag on a few obvious hits

Dre-Day

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • No justice, no peace
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2011, 05:46:21 AM »
This was also interesting because it shows a lot of how things work at Aftermath...
like there were doubts about the two singles, so they needed a another sure-fire hit from Timbaland, even though it sounds like the other tracks were done

So maybe that's like Detox - he's done the regular album tracks, he just needed to tag on a few obvious hits

but even the album sound got changed a few times

Get It Off Ya Chest

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2011, 05:47:46 AM »
not finished reading this yet, but there's already a number of conflicting versions of events

UCC

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2011, 06:08:25 AM »

but even the album sound got changed a few times

True, I'm hoping though there are some really dope tracks still, and he's just tacking on the hit singles as like a bait for today's kids...
If he's made it ALL sound like INAD, then all is lost... ALL IS LOST I TELL YOU

Marks999

• Lil Geezy
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2011, 10:58:52 AM »
I may be mistaken, but there's nothing to buy or sell about this question.

Lyric wise? "The Documentary" was NOT a good album lyric-wise, The Game's topics were made up of name dropping and talking about how he's bringing the West Coast back. How are you going to bring the West Coast back if you're too busy name dropping guys from the past? I'd rate the lyrics a 2.5/5 or 3/5.

Beat wise? The production was spot on, thank God. If it weren't for the production, this album would have ended up like his other albums (decent or trash). 4.5/5.
========
Moving Boxes Sydney
los angeles limousine

Anonymous.

• 'G'
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2011, 11:32:00 AM »
of course game and 50 try to downplay each others involvement in theyre songs togther, tend to not believe game tho...sha money sounds like he tellin the truth on hate it or love it

« Last Edit: February 11, 2011, 11:38:25 AM by Anonymous. »
Our Detox who Flop in heaven,
overrated be thy name,
thy wackness come,
thy will be done,
in Cali as it is in Europe,
give us this day our early leaks,
and forgive us our bootleggers,
for we promote those who bootleg the wankstas,
and lead us not into some gay shit,
but deliver us from wiggers,
Amen.

Anonymous.

• 'G'
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2011, 11:34:35 AM »
fuckin hate the layout of that site..having to click on 20 pages just to read a whole article
Our Detox who Flop in heaven,
overrated be thy name,
thy wackness come,
thy will be done,
in Cali as it is in Europe,
give us this day our early leaks,
and forgive us our bootleggers,
for we promote those who bootleg the wankstas,
and lead us not into some gay shit,
but deliver us from wiggers,
Amen.

Jimmy H.

« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2011, 12:06:15 PM »
I may be mistaken, but there's nothing to buy or sell about this question.

Lyric wise? "The Documentary" was NOT a good album lyric-wise, The Game's topics were made up of name dropping and talking about how he's bringing the West Coast back. How are you going to bring the West Coast back if you're too busy name dropping guys from the past? I'd rate the lyrics a 2.5/5 or 3/5.

Beat wise? The production was spot on, thank God. If it weren't for the production, this album would have ended up like his other albums (decent or trash). 4.5/5.
Yup. You're right about lyrical content and it's not just the name-dropping. Everytime I play the record straight through, it feels like he mentions "Jesus pieces" on every other song. I think West Coast fans, most noteably on this forum, jump to call something a "classic" because it's a great record that still sounds great. This and "All Eyez On Me" are two albums that although I personally love are just not classics to me.

TDOT

• Muthafuckin' OG
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2011, 12:57:25 PM »
Finally this site gives something worth the read, great article, and i'm only half the way through. Its cool to read something like this on an album many dont talk about anymore (outside of this site).

And im fuckin SICK of people saying the lyrical direction was garbage on this. At LEAST half the songs had real fuckin lyrics: Dreams, Hate It Or Love It (hook and 50 mostly), Don't Need You're Love, Start From Scratch, The Documentary, Like Father Like Son and probably 1 or 2 more I can't think of now. You can't possibly hate on any of the lyrics from those. As for the others, their seriously not bad AT ALL. So lyrically, while it's not one of the best, it's as good as you're gonna get from someone like The Game.

And I won't even start with the production, one of the best produced albums of all time, I can't decide between this and GRODT in terms of production, probably this (noth the Dre beats though).

EnzoUK

« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2011, 02:03:54 PM »
+1 for this, just read it all, best article i'v read in a long long time.

i think everyone should read this, espeically the last page.

Twitter: @EnzoUK

Jimmy H.

« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2011, 02:42:41 PM »
And im fuckin SICK of people saying the lyrical direction was garbage on this. At LEAST half the songs had real fuckin lyrics: Dreams, Hate It Or Love It (hook and 50 mostly), Don't Need You're Love, Start From Scratch, The Documentary, Like Father Like Son and probably 1 or 2 more I can't think of now. You can't possibly hate on any of the lyrics from those. As for the others, their seriously not bad AT ALL. So lyrically, while it's not one of the best, it's as good as you're gonna get from someone like The Game.

And I won't even start with the production, one of the best produced albums of all time, I can't decide between this and GRODT in terms of production, probably this (noth the Dre beats though).
I disagree that it's the best you'll get from someone like Game. Let me clarify where my issue is. Game is actually a really good lyricist so I'd say it's more the subject matter. You are correct in terms of the album being one of the best produced on a technical level but it almost goes for too much in some cases. On Doctor's Advocate, while the production is not nearly as good on individual songs, the album probably flows a lot smoother because Game has grown considerably as an artist and has a little more to talk about there. I think "Start From Scratch" and "Hate It Or Love It" are incredible songs. Two of the best to come out of that genre in that time period. However when it comes down to the overall flow of the album, the content feels at times very redudant.