Author Topic: Dre just lost his chance to buzz with Detox @ Grammy ?  (Read 1449 times)

Detox Is A Myth!!!

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Detox is the biggest marketing deception on Earth
Re: Dre just lost his chance to buzz with Detox @ Grammy ?
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2011, 10:26:46 AM »
Maybe I have no idea how the industry works because unlike a lot of you I don't have a Music Management degree, but having said that...isn't what's important is to track INAD's commercial success when Interscope is NOT pumping hella promo dollars into it?  In other words, a successful single takes on a life of its own after the big upfront push and is able to stand on its own two legs.  I think it's silly to say INAD is a success after last night's performance.  What's important is to see how it does next week and maybe the week after that to see if it still has "legs."

You can keep blowing air into the balloon, but what I think they want to see is for the balloon to stay inflated even after they've stopped blowing air into it.
"Detox" is a myth -- Bigfoot, Loch Ness Monster, Area 51, Iraq having WMD, Detox...you get it now?  It was invented by the Aftermath marketing department to maintain the fans' attention.  Notice how everytime a new Aftermath album is ready to come out, they always mention Detox is next up?  Because they are using the invention of "Detox" as a way to market other albums.  The sooner you realize that Detox is NOT REAL, the sooner you'll feel liberated.  Oh yeah, f.u. Aftermath for fooling us fans.

Dre-Day

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • No justice, no peace
« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2011, 10:50:59 AM »
Look out the performance... he just rap the last verse of INAD and then walkin offstage. That was pretty wack & a little bitch move for a first TV apparence since 10 years for a legend like him...

I really think that Detox shit is not ready to smash the world right now, they  lost they chance to buzz right now... INAD is not so high on the chart so what the fuck are they gonna do right now ?
going on a vacation to Hawaii
You mean he went on a vaction to perform a verse on the grammies?
lol, DjKeyz basically asked what's next

DjKeyz

« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2011, 11:01:17 AM »
Look out the performance... he just rap the last verse of INAD and then walkin offstage. That was pretty wack & a little bitch move for a first TV apparence since 10 years for a legend like him...

I really think that Detox shit is not ready to smash the world right now, they  lost they chance to buzz right now... INAD is not so high on the chart so what the fuck are they gonna do right now ?
going on a vacation to Hawaii
You mean he went on a vaction to perform a verse on the grammies?
lol, DjKeyz basically asked what's next

yeah right lol

Jimmy H.

« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2011, 11:49:27 AM »
Maybe I have no idea how the industry works because unlike a lot of you I don't have a Music Management degree, but having said that...isn't what's important is to track INAD's commercial success when Interscope is NOT pumping hella promo dollars into it?  In other words, a successful single takes on a life of its own after the big upfront push and is able to stand on its own two legs.  I think it's silly to say INAD is a success after last night's performance.  What's important is to see how it does next week and maybe the week after that to see if it still has "legs."

You can keep blowing air into the balloon, but what I think they want to see is for the balloon to stay inflated even after they've stopped blowing air into it.
Interscope wasn't pumping hella promo dollars into it. It was a Grammy performance. Promotion creates awareness. It doesn't necessarily generate a hit. If a song has no "legs" then it's a waste anyway. If Interscope pumps dollars into the promotional budget, they have to make it back for the record to be successful. If the record can't survive on its own, it's done anyway. Bottom line. What's silly is to keep coming up with conspiracy theories as to why music you don't like is succesful when the evidence is right in front of you. Don't need a Music Management degree. Just a little common sense.

Triple OG Rapsodie

« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2011, 11:55:56 AM »

Interscope wasn't pumping hella promo dollars into it. It was a Grammy performance. Promotion creates awareness. It doesn't necessarily generate a hit. If a song has no "legs" then it's a waste anyway. If Interscope pumps dollars into the promotional budget, they have to make it back for the record to be successful. If the record can't survive on its own, it's done anyway. Bottom line. What's silly is to keep coming up with conspiracy theories as to why music you don't like is succesful when the evidence is right in front of you. Don't need a Music Management degree. Just a little common sense.

I buy this, but there is still a conspiracy in a sense. Only a certain type of music is going to get promoted and even get a chance at awareness.

The Ultimate Pianist

• Muthafuckin' Don!
« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2011, 06:53:58 PM »
Number 2 on itunes. I dont think he lost his chance to get buzz..

OG Hack Wilson

« Reply #21 on: February 14, 2011, 07:00:35 PM »
Number 2 on itunes. I dont think he lost his chance to get buzz..
the song still sucks major ass

i no longer plan on buying Detox without listening to it all first
Quote from: Now_I_Know on September 10, 2001, 04:19:36 PM
This guy aint no crip, and I'm 100% sure on that because he doesn't type like a crip, I know crips, and that fool is not a crip.

"I went from being homeless strung out on Dust to an 8 bedroom estate signed 2 1 of my fav rappers... Pump it up jokes can't hurt me."-- Mr. Joey Buddens

Detox Iz Not Active

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Tonite
« Reply #22 on: February 14, 2011, 07:24:54 PM »
before the grammy performance the track dropped from #1 to somewhere in the #20s, it will do the same soon

they need to just release this wack ass album and be done with it
Guess who back in the motherfuckin house
With a fat dick for your motherfuckin mouth
Hoes recognize, niggaz do too
Cuz when bitches get skanless and pull a voodoo.....

Native American

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • 2o11
« Reply #23 on: February 14, 2011, 09:51:33 PM »

Your fuckin dumb, go listen to the song 'Grow Up' by Bishop Lamont. It's The Grammy's not that sorry ass MTV/BET Awards ! 8)
EVERY LAST ONE OF ''Y-O-U'' BELIEVE THAT DR. DRE HAS MADE THESE SONG's FOR ''Y-O-U''.
THE REALITY IS THAT THE SONG's ARE ''ABOUT Y-O-U'' !!!!!!

Jimmy H.

« Reply #24 on: February 14, 2011, 10:49:27 PM »
I buy this, but there is still a conspiracy in a sense. Only a certain type of music is going to get promoted and even get a chance at awareness.
I don't really feel there is much of a conspiracy as everyone wants to believe. There is unquestionably a great deal of politics and favoritism in the music business but such is the case in any billion-dollar industry. The labels want to push artists, groups, acts, singles, with some level of "buzz" to them. The less money they invest in "making" someone a star, the more profit they take in. I think The Game is a good example of the point I'm trying to get across.

He was basically the closest thing to a traditional gangsta rapper to come along since the 90's. His ground work with Dre and Aftermath didn't get Interscope overly-excited. Once G-Unit put the stamp on him and the story was spun to include him being Dre's latest protege, the "guy who'll bring the N.W.A. style back", and a strong buzzworthy single finally got out there, he was pushed. It's not that musical content was so different from every other West Coast artist or rapper on the Aftermath roster, it was that everything fell into the right place.

Even when Game basically fucked over Interscope's money by creating an "anti-G-Unit" movement during the time when they invested millions into a 50 Cent movie and soundtrack, they didn't toss him off the label. They moved him over to a different division. The likely reason was he was still too hot to risk losing to a rival major when they already built him up to such strong numbers on his debut. They kept him because he still had a strong enough buzz.

The Illuminati theories and all this other bozo talk is goofy. The same people were in power at the record companies when N.W.A. was telling the cops to fuck off, Cube was making controversial comments about Jews, and Tupac / Death Row were doing their thing. Truth be told, these record labels love angry, outspoken rappers like Tupac because they give angst-ridden Junior High kids someone to emulate or relate to.

The popular belief is that Jimmy Iovine sits around making all these decisions but I’d venture to guess that he doesn’t even hear most of this music until it’s close to being put out. I’d imagine he’s more of the “veto” guy. He’s got a huge staff of people that are making very good salaries who do all the research for them. Their job is to find out which artists are going to make the most return on the investment. Now, I think it safe to say that if they send certain songs out and the feedback ain’t coming back strong and these guys sign off to put more money into promoting them, their kids probably won’t be having a good Christmas, this year. Now, to me, if it’s my career being dependent on this, I’m not really too concerned about what region the music is coming from. If they got a mother fucker out in Kentucky with a solid buzz, I’ll take that.

Triple OG Rapsodie

« Reply #25 on: February 14, 2011, 11:07:35 PM »
Ask Kanye how many times he got rejected and turned away before a label would take a chance on his music.

QuietTruth

• Muthafuckin' Don!
  • Shoot 'em up bang bang, nigga die slow
« Reply #26 on: February 14, 2011, 11:17:26 PM »
Ask Kanye how many times he got rejected and turned away before a label would take a chance on his music.

Yo, I'm sure they was happy for him, to establish himself as a recoding artist on a label, for example, Rockafella, but Jay-Z was one of the best lyricists on the label of all time.

Jimmy H.

« Reply #27 on: February 14, 2011, 11:34:26 PM »
Kanye works as a good example too. They weren't rejecting the music. They were rejecting the presentation. It wasn't like the music suddenly became different when "College Dropout" was coming together. He found the right lane. He had the "Through The Wire" video which told a really compelling story with a good concept to it. He had to push that video himself intially but once it caught on, the label pushed it. Add to the fact that the "Slow Jamz" single he was doing with Jamie Foxx and Twista was coming together at that time and the timing was right. Having a great song is good for a first-time artist but even better is having a strong single and a marketable story behind that artist to boot. Now, you're not just pushing one song, you're pushing an artist. Catchy songs sell ringtones. A marketable artist will get you two to three singles, a T-shirt, tour possibilties, and a shit load more if you play your cards right.

annunaki

• Lil Geezy
« Reply #28 on: February 14, 2011, 11:35:05 PM »
I don't really feel there is much of a conspiracy as everyone wants to believe. There is unquestionably a great deal of politics and favoritism in the music business but such is the case in any billion-dollar industry. The labels want to push artists, groups, acts, singles, with some level of "buzz" to them. The less money they invest in "making" someone a star, the more profit they take in. I think The Game is a good example of the point I'm trying to get across.

He was basically the closest thing to a traditional gangsta rapper to come along since the 90's. His ground work with Dre and Aftermath didn't get Interscope overly-excited. Once G-Unit put the stamp on him and the story was spun to include him being Dre's latest protege, the "guy who'll bring the N.W.A. style back", and a strong buzzworthy single finally got out there, he was pushed. It's not that musical content was so different from every other West Coast artist or rapper on the Aftermath roster, it was that everything fell into the right place.

Even when Game basically fucked over Interscope's money by creating an "anti-G-Unit" movement during the time when they invested millions into a 50 Cent movie and soundtrack, they didn't toss him off the label. They moved him over to a different division. The likely reason was he was still too hot to risk losing to a rival major when they already built him up to such strong numbers on his debut. They kept him because he still had a strong enough buzz.

The Illuminati theories and all this other bozo talk is goofy. The same people were in power at the record companies when N.W.A. was telling the cops to fuck off, Cube was making controversial comments about Jews, and Tupac / Death Row were doing their thing. Truth be told, these record labels love angry, outspoken rappers like Tupac because they give angst-ridden Junior High kids someone to emulate or relate to.

The popular belief is that Jimmy Iovine sits around making all these decisions but I’d venture to guess that he doesn’t even hear most of this music until it’s close to being put out. I’d imagine he’s more of the “veto” guy. He’s got a huge staff of people that are making very good salaries who do all the research for them. Their job is to find out which artists are going to make the most return on the investment. Now, I think it safe to say that if they send certain songs out and the feedback ain’t coming back strong and these guys sign off to put more money into promoting them, their kids probably won’t be having a good Christmas, this year. Now, to me, if it’s my career being dependent on this, I’m not really too concerned about what region the music is coming from. If they got a mother fucker out in Kentucky with a solid buzz, I’ll take that.

Naw when N.W.A came to rise that shit was ground-breaking from the dirt just like when they created  hip hop in the Boogie down bronx the MACHINE didn't have a foot hold on it because they still didn't overstand it's mechanism.  N.W.A was the embryo of gangsta rap music and when it was created we did it out the trunk we was coming to your living rooms like home invasion the masses looked at it like a phenomenon like the dufar phenomenon in sudan it was shocking and such awe to look at these gangsters or do you see these niggas did you hear what that nigga just said honey. Niggas was like Terrorist kind of like alqueda! and then the suburban communities was listening to the shit like the latest drug. The machine saw this trend but didn't overstand how to get down with the product like you would with R&B and the other generes of music.

Once they figured out what made niggas tick then the exploitation begin and they saw that they could divide niggas against each other through the influence of capital. But originally nobody had control over eazy and nobody had control over our music. They saw how this Gangsta rap phenomenon was spreading like wild fire and it wasn't stopping like they thought it would do when they said that rap would be obsolete and was just a fad. The shit kept growing and growing so they had to dance with us for at least 10 years until they could get a strangle hold over niggas mentally to then infiltrate our creation and henceforth begin to water niggas down with capital like they doing now which has altered the state of artistic expression and given the MACHINE total domination of what vibrations we hear musically.

gfunkgueroLA

• 'G'
« Reply #29 on: February 14, 2011, 11:37:56 PM »
Dr. Dre hasn't lost his buzz because he's been having a buzz for the longest. It's been muthafucking years, and the Grammys are a piece of shit in my opinion. Everything performed on there is not for the true hip hop heads from the streets who know their shit. Anyway, we're all aware that when Detox does drop it is going to sell easily over 1 million copies in the first week. Dre is rotten rich, most of us that will actually go and pick up the album are far from that. I'm not a hater by any means, it just doesn't make sense that we fans want a quality album and yet the mastermind behind it is focused on quantity of sales. Fuck it i guess it is what it is, but remember everyone talking shit right now will run to their nearest music spot to buy that shit. Fuck The Grammy's!!! DJ Quik & Battlecat>Your Favorite Producer